Remove Advertisements

Whats your offspecc?

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Whats your offspecc?

Postby Medvih2 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:57 pm

Hi, i was wondering what your offspeccs were? Holy, Retri?
Personally i have both retri and holy, though atm holy is my actual mainspecc.
Why did you choose that specc for your specc? Once again personally, i choosed it cause i'd like a different perspetive of being the tank.

Played on The Maelstrom since launch!
Medvih2

Re: Whats your offspecc?

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:00 pm

Ret, technically. I don't do healing anymore. I don't ever need to use the ret gear, though. Always something needs tanking.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Khayne » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:24 pm

Prot main, ret off.
Allows me to pvp better and let some other tanks do the 1 tank fights sometimes too.
Khayne

Postby Epimer » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:27 am

Ret, even though I had a reasonable Holy off-set when dual spec came in but no Ret gear (I felt guilty taking it from the warriors - not any more!)

I've done it that way around simply because it's more useful for the raid to have me go Ret on a single-tank fight if need be; there's no point in me going from Prot to Holy because we bring enough healers from the beginning of the raid anyway. Me going dps is easier than having me heal and hoping a healer has a dps off-spec and reasonable gear.
Epimer

Postby hoho » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:00 am

No offspec here, I'm too poor to keep two sets of gear in reasonably good order when I have 3 other chars I like to keep raiding-capable aswell :)
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby Passionario » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:01 am

Nowadays? Prot, with Ret being main. And if I ever feel a burning urge to heal, I'll log onto my Disc priest.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby dougmcdonald » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:45 am

Holy, as it seems most useful in grabbing heroic groups after tanking etc.

Got some reasonable drops from naxx runs with no pally healers and just the totc heroic bits, perfectly viable for pugs and low lever raiding, wouldn't fancy my healing in uld or totc though! :p
dougmcdonald

Postby vegardhv » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:41 am

Epimer wrote:Ret, even though I had a reasonable Holy off-set when dual spec came in but no Ret gear (I felt guilty taking it from the warriors - not any more!)

I've done it that way around simply because it's more useful for the raid to have me go Ret on a single-tank fight if need be; there's no point in me going from Prot to Holy because we bring enough healers from the beginning of the raid anyway. Me going dps is easier than having me heal and hoping a healer has a dps off-spec and reasonable gear.

Chose holy because picking up healing gear as offspec is much easier than picking up ret gear, and if you're healer you always got a job somewhere.

Switching to healing during raids is no problem as all the healers got pretty good dps specs to switch to.
vegardhv
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:57 am

Ret
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:17 am

When dual spec first came out I went Holy, and built up a gear set, but I never actually used it, and eventually decided I really had no interest in healing. I'm now trying to put together a Ret set instead, so I'll be able to give my Warrior co-tank a chance to tank fights like Hodir and Mimiron, where so far he's always gone dps.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Shoju » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:26 am

Main Spec: Ret.
Off Spec: Holy
Off Off Spec: Prot.

I'm main spec Ret, Off Spec holy because we always have enough tanks for the raids. If a heroic needs tanked, I'm at a point in my gearing where I can toss the tank gear on and tank any heroic that needs tanking as ret.

The holy off spec gives us some flexibility in our runs. My guild is mostly hybrid mains. Pure DPS classes that raid are the minority in <Lurkers>. We have

Rogue: 2 raiding rogues
Warlock: .5 raiding warlocks
Mage: 0 Raiding Mages
Hunter: 1.5 raiding hunters (Our one tank has a hunter alt that he DPS's with when we need more ranged).

So sometimes our raid signups look like this:

2 tanks
1 main spec healer (Tree/priest)
3 shaman
1 paladin
2 druids
1 rogue

SO, the question becomes, do we have 2 shaman heal? That just never seems to work well, so we will go with

2 tanks,
druid/priest, shaman, paladin healers
DPS

It's a function of how the guild I'm in operates. We like it, it works out pretty well for us.
Shoju

Postby Sagedin » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:36 am

Passionario wrote:Nowadays? Prot, with Ret being main. And if I ever feel a burning urge to heal, I'll log onto my Disc priest.

Same, when I joined my guild, I applied as prot/ret and got accepted as ret. Been happy hitting bosses since then :D, and mostly tanking 10 mans on off days. Actually like it better then main spec tanking as you will be hard pressed to have the opportunity to do something different then tanking. Also deliberately stayed away from collecting holy gear, my little Disc priest is capable of doing that just fine :lol:
Sagedin

Postby kanst » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:39 am

I wish I could answer this question easily. At the moment my offspec is PVP Prot/Holy, I was playing some 2s. In most raids my offspec is ret, however on occasion I have to go holy.

Basically in my guild I change my offspec to whatever the hell they need. I have 4pc t8 in all 3 of them and have ret fully epic gemmed and holy half way there. The guild leaders love that I can fill whatever roll they need if I am not tanking. And I like it because some nights its nice to let the #3 and #4 tanks tank and I just go ret for the night
kanst

Postby Brute » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:36 am

I spent 700g tricking out my holy set last night after I apped to a guild recruiting holy paladins as a jack-of-all-trades paladin, so I'm gonna go w/ holy, and leave my Edge of Ruin un-enchanted in the bank.

Holy seems to be a lot more useful than ret; its easier to get groups going and typically LFG is full of DPS but lacking on tanks/healers. But its way less fun.
Brute

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:10 am

Prot and prot. This made more sense before the Vindication change making it well nigh imperative, and toc content making Crusade so sexy.

I have two prot setups on my warrior tank as well; one for deep wounds, and one for demo shout. Maybe I should retool my 2nd paladin prot spec to sacrifice Crusade for DG. Bleh.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes