Remove Advertisements

[Prot-PVP]

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Prot-PVP]

Postby phaqueue » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:20 am

I've been having fun running Prot in AV and WG and such, and I'm thinking about switching from Ret to Prot as my main PVP spec.

I saw the discussion earlier that mentioned both stacking BV and just running all Ret PVP gear with sword and board. What seems to be the consensus here? is it a mix of Ret PVP gear and BV tanking gear? or am I better off with straight ret gear?

Also, I've been browsing both EJ and arenajunkies and haven't found enough Prot-PVP specs to get a handle on what the big differences are between those and PVE tank specs

I've noticed things like skipping the dodge and parry talents in some versions, but not in others... so I'm looking for some input from those with more experence pvping as prot.. what talents and glyphs do you recommend? what kinds of strats/combos do you run?

thanks in advance!
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Re: [Prot-PVP]

Postby Lumidar » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:34 pm

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZVGzAbu ... obc:RpZcVm

3rd glyph is optional. just keep sacred shield up on yourself
Lumidar

Postby Florisia » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:43 pm

I was actually fairly interested in this, too. I got bored and decided I wanted to update my rare wrath gems to epic wrath gems, and joined in on two WSG(My favorite, even since before the changes) and just had at it. In the initial run, I was a little slow following our FC out, and wound up running into the EFC with his posse. I put on Seal of Justice and started wailing on their EFC. Didn't do stellar damage, but I managed to Pally-stunlock him for a solid 7 seconds while bouncing off hits from a DK and a rogue.

The main reason I'm so interested in it, is that I didn't do that badly in my Crusade tank build. I actually managed to kill the EFC(after stunning-shielding his healer), and the rogue. The DK and healer and I danced for about 3 minutes before a crowd from the horde graveyard came down and said 'Hi'. I lasted another two minutes against the crowd after another healer showed, then eventually died. We captured twice during the whole ordeal, with about 2-5 horde on me at any given time.

I'd like to beef up my damage without burning too much of my survivability/HP. Any suggestions?
Florisia

Postby Heni » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:15 am

I have used prot PvP in the last two arena seasons with a rogue comp for two's. We did fairly well last season and done great so far this season. I even did 3's last season with a Holy Paladin, DK, Prot Paladin comp. Got Rival, not the best but really fun and was able to purchase all the pieces.

As for gear, I personally like using SBV gear and used DKP to pick up all the pieces form Ulduar, trash boots, belt, neck piece, even have extra old SBV T8.5 gear that I use that dropped in VoA as well. I use greatness card with strength and the AP trinket from WG with the break CC 2 min CD. I gem all strength and such on gear for more AP and of course more SBV. I think with libram I'm close to 4k SBV in gear. Of course would be higher with 4 piece T8.5 but I run just 2 set with other SBV pieces for chest and T7.5 head piece still has the most SBV out of all my pieces. LoO obviously best libram. LoSs will be nice but I don't use Holy Shield while arenaing it a waste of a GCD.

As for WSG, I wear my one set and since being in a BG use an addon to immediately switch all my gear over to my main PvE tanking gear to actually carry the flag. This gives you you're trinkets and more health and all that great stuff to use to survive. Sometimes takes 7 of them to kill you if you got 1 healer so it pretty OP with Ardent Defender.

That is another key though as well. In my arena set I wear 2 tanking rings instead of ret rigns just to keep my defense at 513 so I still get healed for a decent amount by Ardent Defender.

Here's my spec for PvP prot:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Durotan&n=Heni&group=1
Heni

Postby phaqueue » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:20 am

Florisia wrote:I was actually fairly interested in this, too. I got bored and decided I wanted to update my rare wrath gems to epic wrath gems, and joined in on two WSG(My favorite, even since before the changes) and just had at it. In the initial run, I was a little slow following our FC out, and wound up running into the EFC with his posse. I put on Seal of Justice and started wailing on their EFC. Didn't do stellar damage, but I managed to Pally-stunlock him for a solid 7 seconds while bouncing off hits from a DK and a rogue.

The main reason I'm so interested in it, is that I didn't do that badly in my Crusade tank build. I actually managed to kill the EFC(after stunning-shielding his healer), and the rogue. The DK and healer and I danced for about 3 minutes before a crowd from the horde graveyard came down and said 'Hi'. I lasted another two minutes against the crowd after another healer showed, then eventually died. We captured twice during the whole ordeal, with about 2-5 horde on me at any given time.

I'd like to beef up my damage without burning too much of my survivability/HP. Any suggestions?

Got a great one for WSG...

rock tank gear and find a pocket healer - any healer works... the go get your "Ironman" achievement...

you and a healer can survive just short of forever holding the flag... (Just don't forget to not bubble)... I almost got mine easily - but our offense was terribad (8 v 4 couldn't get our flag back for 3rd cap... :( )

between Ardent Defender (make sure you have 540 def to get full benefit - or close at least) you don't seem to ever die...

Heni wrote:I have used prot PvP in the last two arena seasons with a rogue comp for two's. We did fairly well last season and done great so far this season. I even did 3's last season with a Holy Paladin, DK, Prot Paladin comp. Got Rival, not the best but really fun and was able to purchase all the pieces.

As for gear, I personally like using SBV gear and used DKP to pick up all the pieces form Ulduar, trash boots, belt, neck piece, even have extra old SBV T8.5 gear that I use that dropped in VoA as well. I use greatness card with strength and the AP trinket from WG with the break CC 2 min CD. I gem all strength and such on gear for more AP and of course more SBV. I think with libram I'm close to 4k SBV in gear. Of course would be higher with 4 piece T8.5 but I run just 2 set with other SBV pieces for chest and T7.5 head piece still has the most SBV out of all my pieces. LoO obviously best libram. LoSs will be nice but I don't use Holy Shield while arenaing it a waste of a GCD.

As for WSG, I wear my one set and since being in a BG use an addon to immediately switch all my gear over to my main PvE tanking gear to actually carry the flag. This gives you you're trinkets and more health and all that great stuff to use to survive. Sometimes takes 7 of them to kill you if you got 1 healer so it pretty OP with Ardent Defender.

That is another key though as well. In my arena set I wear 2 tanking rings instead of ret rigns just to keep my defense at 513 so I still get healed for a decent amount by Ardent Defender.

Here's my spec for PvP prot:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-tale ... ni&group=1

yea - isn't there a "cap" of like 2800 or so where SBV stops adding to Shield Slam as much?

I thought I saw this somewhere and was wondering if anyone could confirm this?

Been abusing Ardent Defender in BGs - haven't really gotten into arenas yet... my roommate doesn't seem convinced that Prot Pally/DK would be able to win - I think we'll have some nice burst, and enough survivability to win at least a few matches
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby Florisia » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:19 am

Okay. So, apparently, the 3rd best in world, and best in their battlegroup 2v2 team is composed of a tankadin and a shammie.

Look up Hoboshocka in the armory.

I can't imagine what his shield hits look like.
Florisia

Postby combatwombat » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:23 am

Florisia wrote:Okay. So, apparently, the 3rd best in world, and best in their battlegroup 2v2 team is composed of a tankadin and a shammie.

Look up Hoboshocka in the armory.

I can't imagine what his shield hits look like.

Well with the current cap on shield block value used for damage the numbers won´t be fantastic. The overall damage when you include AS, Hotr and judgement with reckoning etc will result in some nice burst potential.

The resto shaman also provide some nice utility for both offense and defense depening on whats needed. The fact that both got high end gear helps alot too ofc;)

Im currently playing 2vs with enhance or double prot dps around 2k+ and
with both of them in 3vs around 2k. Very fun and effective team if we can sort out the cd:s and swapping needed to pull it of=)

Oh yeah and the talent build posted earlier seem to be a bit outdated imo. Toughness should be swapped to reckoning and vindication to 2%more crit to be more effective overall i belive.
combatwombat

Postby Robbo » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:28 pm

Well, honestly, I never thought I'd be one to endorse PvP'ing as prot, but here I am.
I've spent the last 3 days or so working out how to play the spec after a good friend of mine convinced me it could work. I pretty much copied Hoboshocka's spec/gearing strat. Basically, gear like ret with some added SBV.

The real strength of the spec is the HoJ >>> AS silence combo. I've been doing 3's (we just popped over 2k today) with a holy pally and a SV hunter, our strat is basically for me and the holy pally to chain HoJ/AS twice right off the bat and force CD's. With good ret gear (like I've got =D) you can force a pally bubble/pain suppression/HoP's/barkskin etc in 3 or 4 GCD's. I've even managed to kill a couple healers solo, which is a new thing for me.

Its quite a lot of fun globaling people with the burst. After talking about it, we think the best comp for this type of set up is holyprot pally/prot pally/Arms warrior. Warrior runs in, puts up MS and maybe an overpower and pops bladestorm, while the prot pally stun/silences, followed by the holy pally stun/silence. Like dayum. Something would be dead after that.

I don't claim to know everything about PvP'ing as prot, but this has worked pretty well so far. Our main problem is after our first burst, our hunter is usually being focused super hard, and it takes a lot to keep him up until the next stun/silence set comes around. We've beaten several 2200+ MMR teams with this set up, and I expect we'll keep climbing as I get better at managing my mana and remembering my CD's.
Robbo
Maintankadonor

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes