Remove Advertisements

[Priest - Shadow] Longevity

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Priest - Shadow] Longevity

Postby Isetnefret » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:36 am

When trying to maximize my total damage over the course of the fight....what fight length should I be looking at? Currently I've been using a 5 minute fight as my benchmark, trying to make sure I gear to do maximum DPS for that amount of time without going OOM.

Sometimes that involves taking a +int yellow gem, rather than gemming straight spellpower.

Poor thinking?

I have noticed on fights like......XT or Ignis, my DPS is higher than mages and warlocks in similar or higher gear levels.

As you can see from armory, my alt(priest) doesn't get much play time in T8 content.
Isetnefret . . - . . Gavoryn

Those of you on the port side of the plane can look out and see the Grand Canyon. Those of you on the starboard can look out and see a cloud shaped like a horsey.
Isetnefret

Re: [Priest - Shadow] Longevity

Postby amh » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:36 pm

Isetnefret wrote:Sometimes that involves taking a +int yellow gem, rather than gemming straight spellpower.

Poor thinking?

You shouldn't have to gem intellect as a shadow priest, no. The closest thing I've ever come to being oom was this one horrid 25man Heartbreaker, right near the end, when I had popped in and out of shadowform to Divine Hymn, and I still had like 4k mana left. You simply aren't designed to go oom :)

Are you using shadowfiend on cooldown? Dispersion? Is anyone other than you providing replenishment? And there's no harm in popping a mana potion!
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby hoho » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:04 am

Very poor thinking, unless your raid-buffed manapool is under 16k and/or you multidot everything in sight. Use fiend when around 30-40% mana, keep it on cooldown from then on. If you need to disperse for mana then try doing it while moving. Potting is another decent way to "regen" mana but I'd rather try to use wild magic when there is extra burst needed.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby Isetnefret » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:48 pm

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=Gavoryn

I logged out in my correct shadow gear, but in the wrong damn spec :(

I think I'm usually at 19k or so, buffed in 10 man raids (we have no raiding mages).

I'm usually the only one that has replenishment, because we have a piss-poor balance of classes. My current gear is gemmed with a couple shit gems, because I'm one of our 3 progression tanks, and usually busy doing that, with time to do little more than a few dailies on the priest.

We're training up some new bear tanks, so I'm expecting to get a break soon, and have time to pew pew a bit.

My last raid as the shadow priest was Nax 25 Pug. I was #2 on total damage, beaten only by a DK in 2 pieces of T9, but I had to fiend on cooldown, dispersion, potion, and still the last 1% of KT's life I could only afford to mind flay.

That's why I was concerned. I'm happy with the output, to be able to beat T8+ mains, but I was scraping the bottom of the mana barrel by the end of the fight.

Those of you on the port side of the plane can look out and see the Grand Canyon. Those of you on the starboard can look out and see a cloud shaped like a horsey.
Isetnefret

Postby amh » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:15 pm

Uhm, your shadow-spec doesn't have Focused Mind? :)
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Isetnefret » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:56 am

Not sure what I would drop to take it, except for I VE.

Isetnefret

Postby amh » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 am

I would either drop Imp VE entirely, or drop down 1/2 Veiled Shadows and Imp VE. Note that I don't have Inner Focus in my shadow-spec, so that's another spare point.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Isetnefret » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:09 am

I also noticed that I have 16.8k mana in shadow spec.

Not sure what it is in disc that gives me so much more, but damn that's a huge drop.

Isetnefret

Postby amh » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:15 am

15% extra int from Mental Strength :)
amh
Maintankadonor

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes