Remove Advertisements

I wanna go ret, but...

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

I wanna go ret, but...

Postby anthony » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:37 am

Hi Maintankadin offspec forum readers!

I currently play a prot pally and am my guilds only raiding mainspec tankadin, but im getting sort of bored of it. Including me there are five tanks that are geared for ulduar 10/25, my guild is 12/14 in ulduar 10 and 3/14 in 25 (have trouble with numbers for 25's) the other four tanks are warriors. The thing is, im getting bored of tanking the same fights over and over and have started finding ret extremely fun for a while now. I usually swap between MT and OT during a raid as i have certain fights i like more than others and tbh i prefer if another tank does the boss tanking as i find it pretty boring and repetitive.

I realise alot of the game is repetitive but i just want to give ret a try raiding-wise. Not including me there are about four other pallys that raid, one holy and three ret. The holy pally is ulduar ready in his offspec tanking gear i think and the three ret paladins are ok dps'ers, i do not run recount when raiding as i have enough addons on already but they say they do about 3k dps which to me seems kind of low in a raiding environment with their gear, in my ret spec+gear i can do 3k usually on bosses in heroics and naxx with occasionally going near to 4k...

Anyway back on topic, im after some help on how to sort of convince/tell my GM/raid leader that i want to change my mainspec to ret. Should i try to get all the best gear i can for ret before bringing the topic to surface or should i just say it straight.

my armory is: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... oanthonyoi

I would like to know if theres anything i could do to improve my ret gear/spec so that i can be the best i can anyway.

Thanks for any help/criticism/cookies given :D
Chat-killer at your service.
anthony

Re: I wanna go ret, but...

Postby kanst » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:56 am

Dont gem crit, ap or anything thats not strength, full strenght gems and a sirens tear to activate the meta.

Replace Glyph of Exorcism with glyph of judgement

Your spec seems alright, not the one I use but decent.

What I would do to convince him is offer to spec ret on 1 tank fights. For example I spec ret every week for Hodir, Mim, and sometimes General. Spec ret for the fights that can be done with 1 tank and do well. Prove that even with less gear you can do dependable dps, then find a tank replacement.

TBH he probably won't and probably shouldnt let you switch. Good tanks are hard to find, and I couldnt imagine running with 4 ret pallies in a 25 man.But it never hurts to try
kanst

Postby Shoju » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:04 pm

anthony wrote:Hi Maintankadin offspec forum readers!

I currently play a prot pally and am my guilds only raiding mainspec tankadin, but im getting sort of bored of it. Including me there are five tanks that are geared for ulduar 10/25, my guild is 12/14 in ulduar 10 and 3/14 in 25 (have trouble with numbers for 25's) the other four tanks are warriors. The thing is, im getting bored of tanking the same fights over and over and have started finding ret extremely fun for a while now. I usually swap between MT and OT during a raid as i have certain fights i like more than others and tbh i prefer if another tank does the boss tanking as i find it pretty boring and repetitive.

I realise alot of the game is repetitive but i just want to give ret a try raiding-wise. Not including me there are about four other pallys that raid, one holy and three ret. The holy pally is ulduar ready in his offspec tanking gear i think and the three ret paladins are ok dps'ers, i do not run recount when raiding as i have enough addons on already but they say they do about 3k dps which to me seems kind of low in a raiding environment with their gear, in my ret spec+gear i can do 3k usually on bosses in heroics and naxx with occasionally going near to 4k...

Anyway back on topic, im after some help on how to sort of convince/tell my GM/raid leader that i want to change my mainspec to ret. Should i try to get all the best gear i can for ret before bringing the topic to surface or should i just say it straight.

my armory is: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... oanthonyoi

I would like to know if theres anything i could do to improve my ret gear/spec so that i can be the best i can anyway.

Thanks for any help/criticism/cookies given :D

It will probably be hard to be allowed to switch from a tank to DPS in a guild that only has 5 tanks. It shouldn't be hard to get some DPS time in a 10 man though.

Here is what I would do if I were you.

1.) Change you gem in the head piece to a Nightmare Tear if you can afford one. Nightmare tear = 1 Dragon's Eye + 5 infinite Dust.
2.) Change gem in shoulders to pure str gem.
3.) I would buy the ilvl213 bracers you can get with valor emblems. They are better, I promise.
4.) Change the enchant on your boots to the best AP for boots enchant. you are at 300 hit with is 32 hit too much if you don't have a goat in the group, and a whole lot too much if you do have a goat in group.
5.) Mortgage your sould for a Dark Moon Card Greatness
6.) Convince your guild to underman OS25 until you get a Fury of the Five Flights
7.) Change the gem in the polearm to strength.
8.) I would *maybe* respec if you get to DPS in raids. 11/5/55 or 5/11/55 are both REALLY nice specs. I'm going to be going 11/5/55 when I can be bothered to take the time to go respec.

You wont want to gem for anything but pure strength for a while. There is some talk (and I haven't kept up on it) that once you have 2pc t9 Ret, you will change all your yellow sockets (that have a socket bonus of 6 agi/crit or better) to 10str/10crit gems. I don't know if that is still the talk, but that was what people were spitballing last time I checked the discussion on the topic.

You look really good otherwise. Just remember, NEVER gem for AP, always gem STR once you meet the meta, until you need to worry about 2pc t9 then look and see what people are saying.
Shoju

Postby anthony » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:51 pm

Thanks alot guys, i changed my exorcism glyph to the judgement one and ill respec tomorrow when i log on. I think the thing is that im just getting bored of tanking the keepers in ulduar with not getting any further really, my guild runs 2 10 man groups and depending on the one im in i could be stuck on kolo for a night :x or pwning the keepers and on the way to general and yogg...

Anyway, the nobles deck is only about 3k on my server so once i get some cash ill get one to replace the crit trink and ill regem tomorrow, thanks again for the help :)
Chat-killer at your service.
anthony

Postby Kelaan » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:28 pm

If you have enough tanks in guild, ask to go DPS for some of the fights that only need one or two tanks. Or, ask to DPS in 10-mans. This will net you practice (both of your FCFS "rotation" and of your new role as a non-tank), and build confidence. I've been fortunate enough to get to do this for a while now, and I find it quite enjoyable. (If I didn't enjoy tanking as much as I do, I'd have asked to go full-time DPS.)
Kelaan

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes