[Elemental Shaman - PVE]Help w/ rotation?

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Elemental Shaman - PVE]Help w/ rotation?

Postby bub64882 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:39 am

Anyone out there know of the recommended Elemental Shaman rotation? Do they even have one? My alt just hit 70, and I haven't found a good elemental site that I can get to from behind Net Sense blocker.
bub64882

Re: [Elemental Shaman - PVE]Help w/ rotation?

Postby Epimer » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:51 am

The EJ elemental shaman Theorycrafting Thinktank thread is still good.

At level 70 I wouldn't worry about it because you don't have Lava Burst yet, so you can pretty much just keep Flame Shock up and spam Lightning Bolt (using Chain Lightning on cooldown for more than one mob).

At level 80 there's a priority system to follow which resolves itself into a very rigid fixed rotation if you never have to move (i.e. on many fights in Naxx and not so many in Ulduar). The basic idea is to minimise the time between Lava Burst casts and using LB/CL as filler as appropriate. So in a stand still and nuke situation, you cast FS, LvB, x filler spells, LvB, y filler spells then go back to the beginning. The filler spells are LB/CL, dependent on your personal haste value. CL is only used on single targets in this case if, for your haste level, it creates a tighter rotation (casting LB would push back your next LvB further than the shorter cast time on CL would).

That all goes out the window with large amounts of movement and haste procs etc. In those cases you prioritise FS > LvB > CL > LB. CL is higher up because the cast time is shorter, and if you already have FS running on the target then don't recast it, use LvB instead. In a situation where you're constantly having to run around or reposition, spam FS (4 second cooldown) until you can stand still long enough to cast your other spells again.

I've made that sound much more complicated than it is - it's actually a very simple class to play. So much so that I prefer to spend my time as resto these days because I find it more enjoyable :)
Epimer

Postby Candiru » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:31 am

Do you not use earth shock at all? It does more damage than flame shock's initial damage. Or are shocks completely not worth casting other than for the LavaBurst bonus from flameshock debuff? While moving you might want to alternate FS, ES? (Although I guess you normally aren't moving for long enough that you would)
Candiru

Postby kanst » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:37 am

From what I ahve seen heard Ele shamans have a very easy rotation to keep up, its just Flame Shock, Lava Burst, 2-3 Lightning bolts then lavaburst again. Whether you can use 2 or 3 lightning bolts depends on your haste and basically guides ele gearing. You want to get to the amount of haste that gets you 3 lightning bolts was my understanding
kanst

Postby Epimer » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:33 pm

Candiru wrote:Do you not use earth shock at all?

A quick browse through WoWMeterOnline parses of Firefighter kills with Elemental Shaman in them confirms that you don't use Earth Shock while moving (I wanted to verify with some external source before spouting off about my alt's offspec :P ). I can think of two reasons for this: the first is that, if you don't clip the DoT, Flame Shock is actually the highest damage per cast time spell Ele has (purely because it's instant and those DoT ticks add up); the second is that by keeping FS up while you move, you ensure that you're set up for a nice juicy LvB crit the second you can stand still long enough to cast one.
Epimer

Postby Epimer » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:40 pm

kanst wrote:From what I ahve seen heard Ele shamans have a very easy rotation to keep up, its just Flame Shock, Lava Burst, 2-3 Lightning bolts then lavaburst again. Whether you can use 2 or 3 lightning bolts depends on your haste and basically guides ele gearing. You want to get to the amount of haste that gets you 3 lightning bolts was my understanding

It's between 4 and 5 filler spells, and is complicated by whether or not your haste level means that you can better fill that gap with Chain Lightning (which scales worse with spell power than Lightning Bolt). It also neglects that your rotation is necessarily asymmetrical, because the second half requires you to refresh Flame Shock before casting Lava Burst, and also that haste procs and, particularly, movement throw the whole thing out of the window. Basically, my first post in this thread :P
Epimer

Postby mavfin » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:01 pm

Candiru wrote:Do you not use earth shock at all? It does more damage than flame shock's initial damage. Or are shocks completely not worth casting other than for the LavaBurst bonus from flameshock debuff? While moving you might want to alternate FS, ES? (Although I guess you normally aren't moving for long enough that you would)

You use flameshock because:

A) with 2-piece T8, ticks can crit, so it's more damage than earth shock
B) you're always ready to pop a LvBurst nuke 100% crit if you keep flameshock up
--Mav
mavfin

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes