Remove Advertisements

[Druid tanks] Questions

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: [Druid tanks] Questions

Postby Jedah » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:37 pm

I have a question about bear tanks and rage gen -- is it safe to bind maul to every GCD ability for general (heroic) tanking usage?

I've had people similarly suggest that I bind heroic strike to all my GCD abilities for boss tanking as a prot warrior, but I have found that it sometimes leads to rage starvation for a net decrease in TPS versus hitting it (spamming it) manually.
Jedah

Postby Ills » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:42 pm

Jedah wrote:I have a question about bear tanks and rage gen -- is it safe to bind maul to every GCD ability for general (heroic) tanking usage?

Yes.
Every fight is like Sartura, only without the screaming and the dying.
Ills

Postby Jedah » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:45 pm

Thanks, I'm looking forward to trying this out tonight on my wife's druid =)
Jedah

Postby mavfin » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:51 pm

Yeah, I disagree about bear tanking being dead. Our go-to tank is a bear, and he does great. However, taking a very good rogue and bringing up a bear w/o being an experienced tank could be a problem, whether it's a bear or any other tanking class. He may be a very good player, but you don't learn to tank well overnight. :D
--Mav
mavfin

Postby semp » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:04 am

Nocturum wrote:I did not know the situation of your guild and I apologize about that. Uggh there are so many problems with bear tanks, but if you absolutely need him to tank tell him to help his frontload of threat he has to blow his CD's. I would suggest to him that he blows his Bezerk right away to help with the frontload and since there is not any Fears in that fight. A good macro I used was simple to write; /cast Enrage
/cast Barkskin
You offset the armor hit from Enrage with Barkskin. Between those two damage increasing CD's he MAY get enough of a frontload.
FF is not a huge boost in TPS but for sure use it to pull. It is always good to have it up so is a good addition in the rotation.
I have no clue how a bear gets rage starved on Hodir...tons of enviromental damage = tons of rage. If he is saying that he is rage starved he is lying. He is not generating enough threat and that is honest and hard to fix.

Rotation
Lacerate x1
Mangle x1
Swipe/Maul till Mangle CD is up then another Lacerate and Mangle
I used to scale my Lacerate stacks slowly because Maul hits for so much threat.

Your bear friend probably has the macro for the Swipe/Maul combo but if he doesnt there is a huge fix right there. I am at work so cant access many sites that would have it. If someone can copy and paste in here that would be cool.

I mean good luck with it is all I can say about bear tanking right now, but the definition of insanity is doing the same failed thing over and over again expecting different results!

Keriel-Thrall

please stop spreading aweful misinformation. FF is the second highest threat CD bear tanks have, behind mangle and should be used on CD when the highest TPS is needed. Lacerate before mangle, wow really?

mangle
FF
lacerate until mangle of CD
mangle
FF
finish your lacerate stacks to x5
mangle
FF
swipe
lacerate to refresh at 3s left on stack

macro maul to everything
semp

Postby xarnen » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:49 am

Faerie Fire should be used to maintain optimal threat and damage every CD. Refer here: http://wowthinktank.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... aerie.html

The macro's posted earlier are adequate. I keep two sets of buttons on my bartender bar for both macroed and unmacroed mangle, lacerate, faerie fire, and swipe.

If he has Idol of the Corruptor, look into a spec with improved mangle and/or master shapeshifter. For me? I'm not a big fan, but I don't have threat issues either thanks to Rend and Tear (and pushing 50% crit fully raid buffed).

I wouldn't be concerned about being raged starved during dodges if he has selected all his talent points into Natural Reaction (rage for dodge = win). I would also take a look at boosting agility, expertise and to a lesser degree hit. Bears get rage when they hit for a critical strike (when talented properly). Make sure you've taken Omen of Clarity and if possible, the two piece T8 set also procs clearcasts (Free Rage!).

Also bear tanking is far far from dead. Bears still scale stamina, armor, and dodge better than any other tank, despite the nerfs. Threat is adequate (don't use paladins as a comparison point until RF is nerfed), and bear DPS and overall damage can make dpsers rather jealous. Bears still lack the tanking tools of warriors and the awesome cds of pallies and dks, but barkskin does nicely when frequent cds are needed and PoTP is a nice steady mitigation talent.
xarnen

Previous

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes