Remove Advertisements

Which kind of healer?

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Which kind of healer?

Postby Arees » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:27 am

I'm thinking of leveling a healer because its the only role I havent done. My main was a mage for 3 years and I've had my pally tank since around 2.1.

I don't enjoy healing on my pally at all. I can't stand it. I think healing could be fun though on another class. I don't think I would like a shaman healer... but its not totally out of the question.

I really like the druid play style. Lots of hots. Priest seems fun too with its shields (I'd probably go disc). I have a level 10 druid and a level 33 priest already. I'm leaning towards the priest, but only because I don't want to relevel those 23 levels on my druid. I'm partially leaning towards my druid because of his name. I'm a big LotR ran and his name is treebeard.

When it comes down to it though, I know nothing about healers and their play style. I don't know what they do, other than keep me alive. I do know that when I was a fresh 80, I greatly preferred druid healers in my heroics.

I think I would like either one, so I was wondering if anyone here has a healing druid or priest that can chime in with what they do and don't like about the class and stuff like that. Or even if you dont have one, but know some about it.
Arees

Re: Which kind of healer?

Postby andx » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:31 am

Disc priest for flavor and CD's. They are the best "action healer" imo.
Maybe I just have a disease or an addiction to tanking, my gf says I'm a masochist I say I like it rough, either way I'm a tank and I can't escape it.
andx

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:36 am

Disc healing is the most fun I've ever had healing. Hooray for sparkly spells and bubbles! :D
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Arees » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:49 am

What is some advice for leveling a priest? My priest is shadow, but it takes me forever to kill things and I have to drink after like every pull.

I think part of the problem is that after leveling several toons, I fly through the content and by the time I'm level 33 I've cleared all the content meant for my level... all the quests in STV are orange and red and if I pull more than 1 mob I'm doomed usually. I've done all of wetlands and duskwood, and Arathi Highlands is the same as STV with all orange and red quests.

It took me 30 min last night to do 2 quests in STV (the only 2 that were yellow) because of the downtime between fighting mobs and making sure I didn't pull more than 1.

He doesn't have any of the BoA stuff yet though... which if I decide to level him I will be getting soon. I'll get the shoulders and chest first, and then the weapon and trinket that returns 2% mana (even though im not sure thats even worth it.)

I did figure one thing out last night that helped. I hadn't played him since patch 2.4 sometime, and 3.0 apparently made some spells trainable... so I went and learned them. Also, Vampiric Embrace doesn't cost mana to cast anymore. I remember it costing about 100 mana last time I played my priest. So now I through that up near the beginning, so I finish most fights with close to full hp, but no mana. They should flip-flop vampiric embrace and touch imo. I'd rather have full mana and cast a few heals that have to carry around 4 stacks of water and drink after every fight.

*edit*
Is it worth speccing into meditation while leveling? My spec would be something like this.

Also, I don't have any glyph spots. They all say they are locked, even though by level 30 I think I should have 1 major and 2 minors unlocked or something like that...
Arees

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:57 am

Errr I leveled holy so I wouldn't be the best person to give advice. Smiting and wanding and SW:P was how I levelled to 80.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Corpsicle » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:52 am

My hubby's tricks for leveling his shadow priest included dotting, mindflay, then at 25% wanding till mob dead. Improved Spirit tap a must. Replenishment as soon as you can get it a must. Avoid unnecesary spells that aren't a good return on mana spent.
Corpsicle

Postby Arees » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:22 pm

Corpsicle wrote:My hubby's tricks for leveling his shadow priest included dotting, mindflay, then at 25% wanding till mob dead. Improved Spirit tap a must. Replenishment as soon as you can get it a must. Avoid unnecesary spells that aren't a good return on mana spent.

yeah, I picked up the improved spirit tap talent...

Generally what I do is start at max range and use Holy fire to pull. Throw up VE, and then mind flay while the mob runs to me. Once it gets to me I just alternate mind blast and smite until it dies. That leaves me at about 25% mana if I started at 100%. At level 33 I have 1k mana and my spells all cost almost 200 mana.... it really sucks. I guess this is a result of them changing lower ranks to use the same amount of mana as higher ranks in patch 2.4 to prevent downranking.
Arees

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:31 pm

Hmmm, well to level my rotation was PW:S, Holy Fire, SW:P, Smite to 50~30% health, then wand them to death. Regenned mana while wanding and the ticks from Holy Fire and SW:P finished it off. I found Mind Blast had too high of a mana cost to be effective.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Corpsicle » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:22 pm

If your priest is level 33 you should be using this spec I think:

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#bZZG0fmofzc

You should be using Mind Flay - the world changes when you get a priest up high enough to get mind flay, or so my hubby tells me. The build I linked takes all the mana cost reduction talents, as well as some dps boosting talents. You'd want to use a spell order along the lines of: Self Shield. Mind blast, SW: Pain. VE. Devouring Plague (when you get it, can't recall the level). Mind Flay till mob is at 20% of health. If mind blast comes off cooldown before mob is at low health, Mind blast again. At 20% of health or lower, wand till mob is dead.

You shouldn't be using Smite at this point - all your talents support shadow spells through damage boosting and mana cost reduction. Using holy spells will eat your mana as well as waste the benefit of all the +shadow damage goodness from the talent tree.

I would build the shadow tree like this: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#bZZGofmofzcfo as you level. The goal being to get to shadow form as soon as possible. Use Darkness as a point dump to get to next level, but only when talents further down in the tree are pvp oriented or lame.
Check out www.shadowpriest.com I'm sure there is leveling advice there as well.
Caster tricks I learned while leveling a lock: Fear is your friend and alternate Cast time spells with Instants to take advantage of GCD. Damage gets going faster as you get the Nuke hitting at same time dot lands. Doing it in reverse means Dot lands, GCD, Cast time, Nuke lands.
Corpsicle

Postby Shoju » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:59 pm

Here is my baby priestMaryshelly

You will notice that she is in absurdly good gear for not being a twink anymore. There are a couple of reasons for this.

1.) The better the gear, the easier leveling is
2.) I have the gold to spoil my alts
3.) She used to be a twink (hence the gloves with MC enchant)

I have taken darkness over Imb Mind Blast because honestly, I just don't use mind blast that often. Pulls for me go like this:

PW:S
VE
MB
SW:P
Mind Flay until dead.

Mind flay is STUPIDLY cheap because it's channeled. The nice thing is, with having PW:S and a decent amount of spellpower, I never get interupted.

With IMP. Spirit Tap and a Pair of the Mana trinkets, I only have to stop to drink if I'm healing an instance.
Shoju

Postby Arees » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:25 pm

yeah, I think part of it is my gear.... I'm in all greens. I do plan on getting the heirloom items though. I don't think I'm even going to bother playing him until I get at least the chest and shoulders.
Arees

Postby Punkss2 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:41 pm

If you're having problems finding zones to level in, I recommend using James' Alliance Leveling Guide ( he has horde ones too). Google it, its all free.
Thinking of starting WOW again....
Punkss2

Postby HollerTH » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:52 pm

Priest is a ton of fun for healing and most important is it is possible to dual spec two styles of healing with them. Personally I dont care for paladin healing style. Paladins imo are not in control of what is going on, we are very limited on "oh noes" buttons. Priest is the most fun I have had as a healer. Druid I think is the most fun in pvp.

As for leveling until you reach level 40 holy is better for leveling. Even after that it is rather powerful. The main that you must have to level as a priest is spirt tap. Spiritual Guidance + Spirt tap can have interesting results. Of all the classes I have leveled priest is one of the worst to deal with adds or other issues popping up. I think only warrior can beat them at this issue. Your escape options are fear and run away hoping to not get dazed, get more adds or run oom.
HollerTH

Postby Arees » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:57 am

HollerTH wrote:As for leveling until you reach level 40 holy is better for leveling.

Why holy? Pretty much everyone says go shadow... so I'm curious. Smite spam?
Arees

Postby crazyharry » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:31 am

I just levelled a priest up and until you get shadowform, holy is THE way to level. Smite spam ftw, spec and glyph for smitey goodness, big nukes, no downtime and a nasty shock for anyone who tries to gank you.

Levelling shadow just doesn't compete.
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a hoof stamping on a cupcake -- forever.
http://kefkafloyd.deviantart.com/art/Pi ... -201465409
crazyharry

Next

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes