Remove Advertisements

[RET-PVE] Has anyone thought about Aura Mastery?

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[RET-PVE] Has anyone thought about Aura Mastery?

Postby Shoju » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:46 am

So my guild has decided that we are going to start work on some hard modes. Yay!

I know that Divine Sacrifice is a really good cooldown for ret.

I also know that for it to be effective, I have to bubble and cut my dps to use it.

What about speccing 11/5/55 to get Aura Mastery? In spots like:

Hodir and Mim I could easily swap to the appropriate resist aura and then pop aura mastery during frozen blows, or P2 of mimiron or something as a cooldown that doesn't detract from my dps but still helps the raid.

I know that it won't up the talented bonuses to your auras, but I thought that the on demand resistances/extra armor (if that would ever help?) might be an easier cooldown to use. Mainly I was thinking Hodir since it's a 'speed' achievement.

BTW: This is an idea for 10 man raiding, not 25, and I'm usually the only paladin in the raid.
Shoju

Re: [RET-PVE] Has anyone thought about Aura Mastery?

Postby Corpsicle » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:12 pm

There was some discussion in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=24914&hilit=Aura+mastery#p470171

Last time I checked specs, all the ret pallies in Joanadark's guild had Aura Mastery specs. In the thread I linked, there is some discussion of the math behind Aura Mastery - the damage reduction is potentially similar/same as Divine Sacrifice when used correctly.

Personally, I love Aura Mastery on Freya + 3 for the large guy with mushrooms as it removes the pacified effect. That goes a long way to smoothing out a bad transition with poorly placed mushrooms. It is also great for a ground tremor when a healer absolutely has to cast to keep someone alive and for the detonating lashers fire damage. I suppose the best answer to your question is that both DS and Aura Mastery are situational oh crap buttons, go with the one that solves the most problems for your raid specifically. AM does have an advantage in that it can't kill you and is off the GCD.
Corpsicle

Postby Shoju » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:26 pm

Thank you for the link. I was scanning titles, I didn't think to scan body text.

I'm thinking about trying out Aura Mastery. I think it might be more my style of CD.
Shoju

Postby andx » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:43 pm

I wish they would give AM the ability to double the haste/dmg/ect that comes from ret aura.
Maybe I just have a disease or an addiction to tanking, my gf says I'm a masochist I say I like it rough, either way I'm a tank and I can't escape it.
andx

Postby Shoju » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:57 pm

doubt that would happen. Bloodlust + Aura Mastery = OMG DPS.
Shoju

Postby Isetnefret » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:57 pm

andx wrote:I wish they would give AM the ability to double the haste/dmg/ect that comes from ret aura.

Amen...

AM has a cooldown/effect lenght, it's not like it would be SUPER OP.

I am betting the reason they don't do it is PVP.

In fact, I would almost guarantee it. You can't tell me that it's any more powerful than Bloodlust in a PVE setting.
Isetnefret . . - . . Gavoryn

Those of you on the port side of the plane can look out and see the Grand Canyon. Those of you on the starboard can look out and see a cloud shaped like a horsey.
Isetnefret

Postby Isetnefret » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:58 pm

If they were smart, in a world where AM affected Ret Aura, the effect would NOT stack with BL.
Isetnefret . . - . . Gavoryn

Those of you on the port side of the plane can look out and see the Grand Canyon. Those of you on the starboard can look out and see a cloud shaped like a horsey.
Isetnefret

Postby rodos » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:50 pm

Yeah, I think affecting the talented Ret aura in some way would be a very good idea. Maybe not double both the damage and hast bonus (although that would be nice), but maybe some other effect (like how it does with concentration aura). Right now, AM+Ret aura it the only combo that's basically useless (except maybe in PvP when a rogue is beating on you).

My dark secret is that I really spec AM for the combo with Crusader Aura, and popping with resist auras is just a bonus. :twisted:
rodos

Postby Candiru » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:57 am

wait, popping AM with conc aura makes you immune to pacify? I thought it was only silence/interupt?

(or is the pacify really a pacify+silence, and this removes the silence part?)
Candiru

Postby Corpsicle » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:53 am

It must be a pacify plus silence, popping aura mastery + concentration aura removes it and allows attacking and spell casting for the duration of aura mastery.
Corpsicle

Postby HollerTH » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:39 pm

That is the ret build I am running and I love it. It is very nice in places that have lots of aoe damage,put up resist and AM and give the healer a hand.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sVhdZVZVfbtbIuhdIfsu

Is the build I am using, my only issue with it is Healing light/Divine intellect/SF. All seem to be a waste of 3 talent points. The reduced duration of fear/dis is nice. I also keep a point in SoC because it WILL be better at some point than SoR and I dont feel like respecing later, not really losing anything anyways.
HollerTH

Postby Joanadark » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:55 pm

Be careful with specing into the fear reduction. It affects Malady of the Mind on yog and thus reduces the available reaction time for people near you to prevent it chaining. I plan on specing into it for Faction Champions this tuesday however.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Fedaykin98 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:53 am

BOth AM and DS are good. I love DS for reducing damage anywhere. Works for the raid, works for the tank. I tend to use it on XT Hard Tantrums, Freya+3 when the flowers start blowing up, etc. (10 mans, btw - Mimi hard is all that stands between us and Algalon, attempting that tonight)
Fedaykin98

Postby Psykewne » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:02 pm

We only had one holy paladin when getting our alone in the darkness 25 man so i went aura mastery so that between the two of us we could stop all silences.

Honestly I much prefer aura mastery and hope I can get my guild to come around to me using it over DS which i find quite stiffling and clunky at times when i want to be maximising my damage. Planning my cooldown schedule around when I might have to DS and then having bloodlust be used when i do use DS is really a pain and probably not as effective as the raid leader might think in the long run, especially on something like algalon where realistically DS is only a safety net (all be it a very strong one) and dps is a prime concern the lost damage from me dsing and the way it can impact the use of avenging wrath etc... is perhaps a net loss assuming the healers had everyone topped off properly anyway.
Celestial Defender Psykewne, Death's Demise - Talnivarr EU
Psykewne

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes