Remove Advertisements

ret.. im going oom

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

ret.. im going oom

Postby steadypal » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:45 am

anyone else finding they have to leave cons from rotation at times?
steadypal

Re: ret.. im going oom

Postby kanst » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:03 pm

In a raid or solo? What glyphs are you using? Is someone judging wisdom.

Glyph of consecrate is key for mana conservation. And judgement of wisdom is also important. Combine those 2 with hitting divine plea whenever you have a free gcd and you shouldnt have mana issues
kanst

Postby glorfindell » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:32 pm

Yeah I was going OOM too. Granted, ret is an off-spec that I'm really not that great at, and this was in 5-mans without any regen buffs other than my replenishment. I had Glyph of Consecration, SoV, and either Judgement or Exo (can't remember lol). However, I believe I was judging JoL. I'll have to try JoW, but from my experience without JoW a full dps rotation wasn't sustainable for any fights longer than about 1 minute, or chain pulling (even using DP and Arcane Torrent on CD). I guess not using JoL isn't as big a loss now, and JoW may be required to maintain full dps in a non-raid (and even some 10-man) situation.
glorfindell

Postby loeni » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:23 pm

Yes, you'll likely need JoW in a 5 man setting, and will still likely be slightly mana negative. In a 25 man setting you should be sustainable without, however.
loeni

Postby steadypal » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:50 pm

loeni wrote:Yes, you'll likely need JoW in a 5 man setting, and will still likely be slightly mana negative. In a 25 man setting you should be sustainable without, however.

during xt in the 10man yesterday i was constantly going oom and had to remove consecrate from my rotation,,, i DID not replace the stupid glyph they changed seal of blood from,,,

and i do not have command in my spec atm, i need to respec for sotp in holy tree etc....

should we all be judging wisdom now or something to?
steadypal

Postby Terrible » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:09 pm

steadypal wrote:
loeni wrote:Yes, you'll likely need JoW in a 5 man setting, and will still likely be slightly mana negative. In a 25 man setting you should be sustainable without, however.

during xt in the 10man yesterday i was constantly going oom and had to remove consecrate from my rotation,,, i DID not replace the stupid glyph they changed seal of blood from,,,

and i do not have command in my spec atm, i need to respec for sotp in holy tree etc....

Glyph consecration, judge wisdom, DP when it's up and you have a free GCD, you shouldn't have any mana problems whatsoever.
Terrible

Postby andx » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:28 am

steadypal wrote:

I Judge wis. DP when i'm at 50% mana and switch up my rotation to prioitize getting the replenishment from the judgements if i'm seeing myself get low because a drop in DPS is better then not being able to DPS at all due to no mana. I never go OOM. Glyph of Concecrate is a GREAT one, its SUPER mana efficient.
Maybe I just have a disease or an addiction to tanking, my gf says I'm a masochist I say I like it rough, either way I'm a tank and I can't escape it.
andx

Postby Arcten » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:38 am

The mana regeneration issue has been painful, to say the least.

If I'm DPS in 5-mans (though I've been healing lately, solely to get guaranteed Emblem of Conquest runs in), the first thing I do during the first few fights is check out the healing situation. Ideally, heals will be well covered and I'll be able to use JoW with little consequence. I blow Divine Plea whenever it's off cooldown, that, and Replenishment usually keeps me okay on my blue bar.

I'm one of the only ret guys I know that doesn't Glyph Consecrate, maybe I should, but I seem to be doing okay, mana doesn't even cross my mind if I'm afforded the luxury of judging Wisdom in a 5-man.

I Glyph Exorcism (increased damage), Judgement (increased damage), and Seal of Vengeance (Expertise).

I don't use SoV on trash, I use SoCo instead, and switch to SoV for bosses. I always put myself behind the badguys, so they're not dodging or parrying me anyway, I might be wasting my Glyph slot here. I haven't done it myself, but I've been thinking about it, but maybe a better way to go would be to go ahead and Glyph Consecrate, if you want, or Glyph Seal of Command (which gives you more mana back). And if you're gonna DPS a boss, make the switch to SoV and get behind it.
Arcten

Postby kanst » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:59 am

Arcten wrote: I always put myself behind the badguys, so they're not dodging or parrying me anyway,.

I am a little confused by this statement. Bosses can dodge from behind, they all have 6.5% dodge. To not be dodged you need 26 expertise. They do not parry or block from behind
kanst

Postby Baelor » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:14 am

Arcten wrote:The mana regeneration issue has been painful, to say the least.

If I'm DPS in 5-mans (though I've been healing lately, solely to get guaranteed Emblem of Conquest runs in), the first thing I do during the first few fights is check out the healing situation. Ideally, heals will be well covered and I'll be able to use JoW with little consequence. I blow Divine Plea whenever it's off cooldown, that, and Replenishment usually keeps me okay on my blue bar.

I'm one of the only ret guys I know that doesn't Glyph Consecrate, maybe I should, but I seem to be doing okay, mana doesn't even cross my mind if I'm afforded the luxury of judging Wisdom in a 5-man.

I Glyph Exorcism (increased damage), Judgement (increased damage), and Seal of Vengeance (Expertise).

I don't use SoV on trash, I use SoCo instead, and switch to SoV for bosses. I always put myself behind the badguys, so they're not dodging or parrying me anyway, I might be wasting my Glyph slot here. I haven't done it myself, but I've been thinking about it, but maybe a better way to go would be to go ahead and Glyph Consecrate, if you want, or Glyph Seal of Command (which gives you more mana back). And if you're gonna DPS a boss, make the switch to SoV and get behind it.

Swap Glyph of Exo out for Glyph of Consecration. Your mana problem will disappear.

If you get into the low-mid 20's with expertise pre-glyph, you can drop Glyph of SoV for Glyph of Exo.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Arcten » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:24 pm

kanst wrote:I am a little confused by this statement. Bosses can dodge from behind, they all have 6.5% dodge. To not be dodged you need 26 expertise. They do not parry or block from behind

No you're right, I didn't mean to toss the dodge in there, typing without full consideration. I should have wrote instead that I find that the dodge has a negligible affect on my DPS from a generalized assessment. My recount numbers only seem to noticebly suffer from the front.
Arcten

Postby Candiru » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:30 am

Don't forget a +10stats gem will help your regen, as well as getting you your meta (and socket bonus if applicable.)

You can also wear some mail Enhancement shammie gear if you are really desperate for mana, it makes quite a difference with replenish and DP, and some of it is better than a lot of plate. That said, you shouldn't need to do this in raids as raid buffs should get you plenty of regen.
Candiru

Postby Drae » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:53 pm

Baelor wrote:Swap Glyph of Exo out for Glyph of Consecration. Your mana problem will disappear.

If you get into the low-mid 20's with expertise pre-glyph, you can drop Glyph of SoV for Glyph of Exo.
This.

I'm lucky enough to be at 26 expertise without glyph, so yeah I use Cons, Judge, and Exo. If my expertise was below 20 however I'd be using the SoV glyph instead of Exo.
Drae

Postby Torquemada » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:44 am

I was having problems running OOM after 3.2 when I went with a CS/DS/Judgement/Consecration/Exor FCFS. Since I switched to Judgement(Usually Light unless there's no other pally in the group) to #2 on my list(Not counting HoW situations), I tend to do a lot better with mana, especially when I pop DP when it's available.

I'm still playing with the macros, but I find http://blessingofkings.blogspot.com/2009/08/simplifying-pve-retribution.html to be unbelievably useful. I went from occasionally dpsing in my Hateful gear and PVP spec to pulling over 3k with just Imp Might and SoV from grabbing a few new items from Naxx and EoC. Still working on the set, and I definitely need to drop my hit rating and up my Expertise(So I can go back to gemming Str), but mana isn't an issue any more.
Torquemada

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes