Remove Advertisements

Armor Pen?

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Armor Pen?

Postby Horanur » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:43 am

Hey guys, i have always wondered, what value is armor pen to us? I know that warriors, rogues, and feral kitties all worship this stat, but how about us?

Basically, i have the option of dropping alot of hit, and using "Grim Toll" (The nax trinket that procs 613 armor pen). Is this worth it at all? And has the 3.2 change affected the value of this stat for us?

EDIT: I have tested grim toll before, but i didn't notice a large DPS increase at the time.

Also, haste is now even more valuable for us, is it not? Since faster swings = faster SOV stacks (although in a single target fight the different would be imperceptible except at really large haste differences).

My current priority has been the following:

1) Hit/EXP Cap
2) STR
3) Haste/Crit (Depends on which gear i am wearing for the caps)
Horanur

Re: Armor Pen?

Postby Ano » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:04 am

Armor pen does very little for us. Most of our dmg is holy or magical and armor pen only affects physical.

so it would up the dmg on your white hits it wouldnt do a ton. Though depending on your gear/gems/chants it could be worth it to pick up the hit rating, to allow for regems/enchants or replacing a peice or 2 that had hit...

http://www.codeplex.com/Rawr

Download that and import your chr, add green diamonds by all the ret gear you have including grim toll, and tell it to optimize. It's not prefect right now because of the 3.2 patches and well because there is a lot more tweaking you can do than what i described.

As for haste, its still a lame duck stat for us. because it only really affects our white swings (as before they are a reletively small portion of our dmg)... Sure it could help u get SoV stacks faster, but you'd have to have insane amounts of haste to have any real benefit from this.
Ano

Postby Horanur » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:09 am

Yes but, at least before the patch, white swings = yellow damage. I guess it's less useful now than it was.

Pre-3.2 my #1 damage was Seal of the Martyr followed by Melee. (Boss fights) Both of those benefit from haste. But now with each melee swing only equaling 33% damage as holy... i guess haste is practically worth 1/3 less now....

Oh, and thanks for info on armor pen, that explains why i saw so little benefit from it. And as for Grim toll, if i do not benefit from armor pen i am just going back to mirror of truth. I would rather gain a useful proc at least, rather than shuffling all my gear around.
Horanur

Postby Ano » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:25 am

The value of haste hasnt decreased, it increased... just not enough to be worth a crap.

Rawr is good thing, makes gear shuffles a lot easier, and can help squeeze a new higher dps weapon in even when you lose hit or exp, just by tossing in some peice u had laying around.
Ano

Postby majiben » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:54 pm

Ano wrote:The value of haste hasnt decreased, it increased... just not enough to be worth a crap.
For sustained dps, haste has dropped in value for 3.2 since our seal damage on swings has been decreased.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes