Remove Advertisements

Ret off-spec while still retaining BoS

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Ret off-spec while still retaining BoS

Postby Braundo » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:13 am

So, I have an odd question.

I'm the only tankadin in our regular raid group, and thus I am the only person who can provide Blessing of Sanctuary. On fights where I am not the MT and don't need to be ready as a backup tank (for example, Vezax), I go DPS. However, if I switch to a regular Ret spec, the entire raid loses Blessing of Sanctuary. My DPS is usually adequate in Prot spec with a 1H/shield, but on Vezax in particular I found myself unable to use my specials too often due to being chronically low on mana so my average DPS was not too much higher than white+seal damage (with a one-hander, mind you).

One of the other raid members asked if it would be worth making some sort of custom Ret build that still goes 21 points into Prot for the blessing. In theory, it would allow one to provide adequate DPS with most of the Ret talents, but still provide the blessing for the raid. I popped open the talent calculator and this is the best thing I was able to come up with: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZEGz0rzZVfMxbIuhdIfoh

The most obvious problem is that you can't get Divine Storm if you get BoS. Before I drop the gold on a respec (or two) tonight, I wanted to see if you guys thought this was even worth considering. Would my DPS be too gimped in a build like this? Is it even worth trying?
Braundo
Maintankadonor

Re: Ret off-spec while still retaining BoS

Postby Sagedin » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:47 am

Not sure why you would want to do this. Blessing of Sanctuary is pretty useless for everyone except other tanks and even then in most cases another blessing takes precedent.

The only time it might be usefull is if you are raiding with no healing priests (better to let a holy priest go disc then you do less dps), at least one other paladin and a dps warrior (or two more paladins).

So in my opinion it depends largely on your raid composition.
Sagedin

Postby Braundo » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:00 am

Sagedin wrote:The only time it might be usefull is if you are raiding with no healing priests (better to let a holy priest go disc then you do less dps), at least one other paladin and a dps warrior (or two more paladins).

So in my opinion it depends largely on your raid composition.

We don't have any consistent Disc priests, no, and it seems kind of silly to ask our Holy to respec so I can achieve slightly more DPS on one fight where I'm not tanking. (I tank something on just about every other encounter.)

Given that there's not really any raid damage to speak of on Vezax, I suppose I can consider Sanctuary only having any value for the MT. -3% damage certainly is nothing to sneeze at, but I suppose if it's only for the MT it's not going to be a life-or-death difference. Usually.
Braundo
Maintankadonor

Postby Candiru » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:10 am

1) Blessing of sanctuary STACKS with the Disc Priest buff, so disc priests are irrelevant to this discussion.

2) Dual-spec lets you switch to prot, bless the whole raid with BoSanc (NOT GREATER) then dual-spec to ret.

3) No reason to take BoSanc in a non-prot spec...ever.
Candiru

Postby kanst » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:12 am

I agree with Sagedin

Sancutary is awesome, I love it, but its far from necessary. Its cool to have but its not game changing. Grace and it dont stack anyways.

On vezax get your priests to go disc. Disc priests are amazing on that fight, if you do it right there should be little to no AOE dmg so the aoe healing of holy gets them nothing. Its not just to increase your dps, they will be a lot more useful as disc. All of our priests in guild have dual spec and have disc as their dual spec, we flip flop them back and forth all the time depending on what we need (we also only have 1 holy pally in guild)
kanst

Postby andx » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:24 am

Candiru wrote:1) Blessing of sanctuary STACKS with the Disc Priest buff, so disc priests are irrelevant to this discussion.

2) Dual-spec lets you switch to prot, bless the whole raid with BoSanc (NOT GREATER) then dual-spec to ret.

You loose all teh buffs you have given out when you switch specs. wait lol didn't see not greater... sorry i'm a fool
Maybe I just have a disease or an addiction to tanking, my gf says I'm a masochist I say I like it rough, either way I'm a tank and I can't escape it.
andx

Postby Braundo » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:30 am

Candiru wrote:2) Dual-spec lets you switch to prot, bless the whole raid with BoSanc (NOT GREATER) then dual-spec to ret.

...I didn't realize that you could do that. Hmm. I wonder if that's just a bug? I can't see why it would clear Greater BoS but not normal BoS.
Braundo
Maintankadonor

Postby Proudfoot » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:00 am

Candiru wrote:1) Blessing of sanctuary STACKS with the Disc Priest buff, so disc priests are irrelevant to this discussion.

Sorry, Blessing of Sanc does NOT stack with Disc Priest buff. The mana return part will remain if you have both but you don't get 6% damage reduction.
Dear Blizzard, Paper is fine but Rock needs to be nerfed.
Sincerely, Scissors
Proudfoot

Postby Earantur » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:35 pm

Candiru wrote:3) No reason to take BoSanc in a non-prot spec...ever.

Does TbtL healing spec count as prot? Cause that takes BoSanc.
Earantur

Postby majiben » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:45 pm

Proudfoot wrote:Sorry, Blessing of Sanc does NOT stack with Disc Priest buff. The mana return part will remain if you have both but you don't get 6% damage reduction.
They do stack. For some reason blizzard isn't fixing it much like they allow stone skin totem stack with Dev aura.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Candiru » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:32 am

Indeed, just because they SAID that stoneskin + devo, and Disc3% and BoSanc won't stack doesn't mean they don't.

Never assume anything blizzard says is true, test it yourself, or trust someone else who has actually tested it.
Candiru

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes