[Mage - PVE] Ranged Target Issue

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Mage - PVE] Ranged Target Issue

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:47 am

This is going to sound like an exceptionally stupid question, but I'll start with a bit of background: I've started leveling a mage and she's happily sitting at 62. I've started doing some Outland dungeons and the first thing I notice is that since I'm so far away from my target, I don't actually see the nameplates of the mobs that the tank is tanking. Therefore, I can't see all their healthbars.

Is there some sort of setting in game, or an addon that will increase the range that those health bars appear above a mob's head? I do have "v" toggled to see them, so it's not that. It just seems to be a distance thing.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Re: [Mage - PVE] Ranged Target Issue

Postby amh » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:56 am

It's been on the Suggestion-forums a few times, and I think it's a really good idea (increasing the nameplate-range), but I don't see it happening due to pvp-issues.

I tab a lot >.>
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:59 am

Seriously? There's nothing that can help with this? I'm not a big fan of hovering over all the mobs before deciding which one to start casting a spell on. That's really annoying. This is what ranged dps have to put up with all the time? Wow.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby amh » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:08 am

Well, you can always set someone in melee range to /focus and assist :)

(or aoe!)
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:17 am

amh wrote:Well, you can always set someone in melee range to /focus and assist :)

(or aoe!)

I do the focus thing with the tank, but if they're a warrior, they have a nasty tendancy of switching targets at all times.

And yes, the aoe bit is easy, but I'd still like to have more info as to what is going on. I guess that stems from being a tank for so long.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby fafhrd » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:15 pm

No particular way to deal with it that I know of. Usually picking a target is a combination of:

- what gets picked up first by tab targetting
- having some idea of which the tank will be focussing on (the one with sunders used to be a good indicator before the glyph that sunders secondary targets)
- the one with the lowest health/most debuffs as you tab through them
- the one the tank has the biggest threat lead on right now
- the one the hunter marked and MD'd
- the biggest one
- the one the tank hit first

You don't have to be at max range though, you can stand close enough for the nameplates and still be at range if you really want nameplates - I've been ranged for what, 4 years now, and don't particularly care about nameplates one way or the other I think.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes