[Moonkin] - AOE grinding as a boomkin - who knew?

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Moonkin] - AOE grinding as a boomkin - who knew?

Postby uke » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:48 am

Add this to the "I never thought of that" pile.

Decided for grins and giggles to respec my druid alt from feral to lazerchicken, and do the last two levels from 78-80 as such in Sholazar Basin, which is already a gold mine for a skinner/herbalist that my druid is.

Anyways, the technique is as follows:

1. Find a large group of critters that you can gather up
2. Regrowth to get a HOT ticking, go to moonkin form.
3. Cast Starfall and run around like a headless (lazer)chicken, aggro'ing everything far and wide
4. When you have a nice group, cast barkskin and hurricane on your position, and watch everything die.
5. Look and skin your kills. By the time you're done skinning and drinking, starfall should be ready to use again. Rinse and repeat.

I made an entire population of gorilas extinct using this technique, and got about 5 Arctic Furs out of it in the process.

Just an FYI for my fellow boomkins out there :mrgreen:
Pally's been relegated to AH duties.

RAWR'ing it up as a bear now, with a side of boomkin.
uke

Re: [Moonkin] - AOE grinding as a boomkin - who knew?

Postby honorshammer » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:04 am

About what level did you start to find Moonkin gear? My Druid is 42 and everythign I've found so far is Feral.
honorshammer

Postby Candiru » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:10 am

I think you have to use cloth for moonkin until outland really. Not much leather spellpower gear before TBC.
Candiru

Postby uke » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:22 am

Honorshammer wrote:About what level did you start to find Moonkin gear? My Druid is 42 and everythign I've found so far is Feral.

This was at level 78 for me, having gone feral up to this point.

I basically bought all the rep moonkin gear I could get at the time, and filled in the rest of the slots with their lvl 78 PVP BoE gear, along with other blue items that worked. I just dinged 80 last night, so I need to decide if I want to stay moonkin or go back to feral, both of which are fun in their own right, and start gearing up that spec.

(heck, maybe I can even try resto in some BG's, who knows?)
Pally's been relegated to AH duties.

RAWR'ing it up as a bear now, with a side of boomkin.
uke

Postby sherck » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:33 am

Candiru wrote:I think you have to use cloth for moonkin until outland really. Not much leather spellpower gear before TBC.

Agree with this. There is a fair amount of leather "...of the Owl" itemization or leather with Intellect; but virtually zero leather with + Spell Power in the Old World. If you want SP, you have to go with Cloth.

As you probably know, that changes greatly once you hit level 58 and hit Outlands. Keep an eye out on the AH early for level 57/58/59 leather "...of the Owl, ...of the Sorcerer, ...of the Seer" gear and you will find a fair amount of it prior to hitting Outlands. I don't know how the quest rewards are in HFP for it, but the AH typically has the stuff pretty cheap.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby dougmcdonald » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:22 am

This is definitely a good technique for AOE grinding, I do the same thing on my druid for sons of hodir dailies in the hibernal caverns and for getting the ice thingies on the errr...ice?!

Personally I don't bother with the regrowth tick as first off but often it would be : Starfall > Barkskin > hurrican > alchemy healing wotnot > hurrican again.

Make sure you have thorns on too, always helpful for AOE and don't forget shadowmeld if you've starfalled half an instance for example! :P
dougmcdonald

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes