Remove Advertisements

[Mage PvE] Trading my plate for cloth

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: [Mage PvE] Trading my plate for cloth

Postby Baelor » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:16 pm

Doogiehowser wrote:
Baelor wrote:
Doogiehowser wrote:Jeez, are you one of those people that can't take a compliment?

Yes. My girlfriend can attest to this.

Two words. Thank. You.

Repeat after me. . . Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you

Now if you are really feeling brave, you can say "Thank you, you're too kind."

Tank you.

AMIDOINGITRITE?
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Doogiehowser » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:18 pm

uke wrote:
Doogiehowser wrote:I know I'm a quitter. It's not like I'm going to sell off his gear, but only having about an hour and a half for 3 nights a week doesn't really let me get too involved in the game.

Or maybe I just sucked as a tank. . . the world may never know.

Tis' OK, I too eventually got tired of all the pressure and drama of tanking. My solution, however, was to just pick up a big hammer and smash things :mrgreen:

However, my up and coming huntard may change that if I ever get him to 80.

I liked playing ret a lot but I can't seem to distinguish myself very much playing Doogie as ret. Then again I probably sucked at that too.

I have a level 72 hunter but I just can't seem to get excited about playing him. You were right about saying that it's like having a healer/tank/dps all in one in your hunter topic. Maybe that's why I'm not jazzed about playing him. There's no "Oh crap. . . I might not make it out of this alive". Instead it's, "I wonder if I can take on two elites instead of just this one."

And yes, I know what you're thinking. . . I enjoy my corpse runs.
Doogiehowser

Postby Doogiehowser » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:20 pm

Baelor wrote:Tank you.

AMIDOINGITRITE?

Why you little wise a$$, you'll rue the day ...
Doogiehowser

Postby Shoju » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:28 am

I too have given thought to hanging up the plate for something a little less chafing. I won't be doing frostfire though. It requires the fire tree, and I have been allergic to that tree since I rolled my first mage as fire and died a lot while trying to level. I deleted the mage, came back to one about a year later and have been frost almost all the way. I will have to go arcane to raid I guess. (Arcane has 6% hit from talents when done right :) )

Good luck trying to read the EJ stuff on Arcane. It made my head hurt to try and make sense of the info. I understood the frost and frostfire stuff though.
Shoju

Postby Doogiehowser » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:05 am

Well, I'm churning through Dragonblight and did 4 of the group quests last night. I'm having a hard time not pulling aggro. I even count to 10 before I start my Arcane rotation and I find that I rip people off the tank quite quickly. Maybe I'll drop another point in Arcane Subtlety for good measure. With only a shaman providing buffs I was very happy doing 1.2-1.3k dps only at level 72.

I'm hoping that Arcane continues to scale well but I find it loads of fun to play.

@ Shoju: I read the Arcane thread and it is quite convoluted but there are separate posts in the back that address one issue at a time so that helped a lot. I'm still terribad at using cooldowns when I should, but I think have time to work out the kinks. I've got POM down and I know when to use the Missile Barrage proc but it's a fun and dynamic spec to play. There's still lots to learn but the switch to cloth seems to be agreeing with me. It's so soft and supple. I don't think I'll need any more Gold Bond for the chafing from plate.

How's your mage coming along?
Last edited by Doogiehowser on Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doogiehowser

Postby bub64882 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:23 am

Baelor wrote:If you want to avoid complaints about buffs, be a rogue. They don't buff anything besides their poisons and bring practically no preparatory utility whatsoever!

Truth! I played a rogue for a long time, and it always amazed me how many of my fellow rogues couldn't get their shit together. It seemed like every single run, it was "I forgot to make poisons...I don't have any reagents for blind or vanish...blah blah blah".

Blizzard finally took all that shit away, and I was like "well, that's nice, but...come on, was it THAT hard to cary some crap in your bag?"

Have fun on your Mage, OP...I love mine and vow to level her to 80...someday!
bub64882

Postby Dorvan » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:28 am

Hey, enough with the rogue hate, at least I bring +3% crit on mine >.>

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby uke » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:16 am

bub64882 wrote:
Baelor wrote:If you want to avoid complaints about buffs, be a rogue. They don't buff anything besides their poisons and bring practically no preparatory utility whatsoever!

Truth! I played a rogue for a long time, and it always amazed me how many of my fellow rogues couldn't get their shit together. It seemed like every single run, it was "I forgot to make poisons...I don't have any reagents for blind or vanish...blah blah blah".

Blizzard finally took all that shit away, and I was like "well, that's nice, but...come on, was it THAT hard to cary some crap in your bag?"

Have fun on your Mage, OP...I love mine and vow to level her to 80...someday!

Heck, hunters have to do even less. They just show up and pew pew. Oh, and if you're MM, you click your trueshot aura button once to toggle it on.

It was nice joining a Ramparts run with my 62 hunter the other day, and realizing I didn't have to deal with "who gets with buff" like I did on my pally. I just zoned in, waited for everyone else to do their buffs, and started pew pew'ing. It was great! :D
Pally's been relegated to AH duties.

RAWR'ing it up as a bear now, with a side of boomkin.
uke

Postby Punkss2 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:41 pm

OP - I went full frost for leveling from 70-80, then went FB/TTW to raid.

With frost you are able to control multiple mobs and frost nova/imp blizz with your water elemental out FTW.
You can also easily pull 1k+ dps in any instance on your way to 80. Ultimately it really comes down to your playstyle.
Thinking of starting WOW again....
Punkss2

Postby Doogiehowser » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:49 am

I leveled frost from 1-70 prior to WotLK and I need a break from it. I know every class can be boring at times but I just found frostbolt after frostbolt to be tedious. I agree that frost has a lot more "control" a but I'm really enjoying arcane.

I find arcane to have pretty good survivability as well. Not in the sense of controlling mobs, but I'm as slippery as a greased up pig. Being able to cast on the move with a rotation of Arcane Barrage and Fire Blast and having Invisibility is pretty fun. Add in the obligatory blink, nova, ice block and I find myself surviving situations as easily as my frost mage friends.
Doogiehowser

Postby Doogiehowser » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:17 pm

Just finished up with Dragonblight and I'm now level 74. I'll be starting Zul'drak after a quick round of quests in Grizzly Hills for a silly spell trinket.

As a funny aside, I finished Wrathgate and I actually got killed 4 times during the event. (Still the best quest in my opinion in WotLK.) Apparently even King Wrynn can't hold aggro very well. Stupid Fury warrior. :)
Doogiehowser

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:39 pm

Doogiehowser wrote:Just finished up with Dragonblight and I'm now level 74. I'll be starting Zul'drak after a quick round of quests in Grizzly Hills for a silly spell trinket.

As a funny aside, I finished Wrathgate and I actually got killed 4 times during the event. (Still the best quest in my opinion in WotLK.) Apparently even King Wrynn can't hold aggro very well. Stupid Fury warrior. :)

I'm amused by the fact that you're already complaining (poor choice of words, but bear with me!) about tanks not holding aggro, despite waiting long enough before unleashing your spells.

I'm waiting for when you hit 80, hit heroics, and realize just how many BAD tanks there are out there, paricularly at holding aggro. Right about then you'll snap, and log back on your paladin, ready to tank again.

Mark my words! ;)
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Doogiehowser » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:17 pm

Nikachelle wrote:
Doogiehowser wrote: *drivel*

I'm amused by the fact that you're already complaining (poor choice of words, but bear with me!) about tanks not holding aggro, despite waiting long enough before unleashing your spells.

I'm waiting for when you hit 80, hit heroics, and realize just how many BAD tanks there are out there, paricularly at holding aggro. Right about then you'll snap, and log back on your paladin, ready to tank again.

Mark my words! ;)

This is King Varian we are talking about. He shoots laser beams from his eyes and lightning bolts from his hands.

I just thought it was funny in an quest line where you basically become "unkillable" that I was able to be killed. The first time was complete shock. The next three times were me running back to my corpse, releasing and not getting the Varian/Jaina buffs and getting ROFLpwned. I know I giggled.

Don't worry, I already have a lobotomy scheduled when I hit 80. :)

Plus, I should have realized that Varian wasn't a real tank since he was Fury spec'd at the time. He probably wasn't in Defensive Stance. :)
Doogiehowser

Postby Dorvan » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:21 pm

Nikachelle wrote:I'm amused by the fact that you're already complaining (poor choice of words, but bear with me!) about tanks not holding aggro, despite waiting long enough before unleashing your spells.

Mark my words! ;)

It can make things more exciting :P

Really though, as a level 80 mage if you pull aggro and die you're Doing It Wrong (tm). Between Invisibility, Mirror Image, Ice Block, Frost Nova, Blink, etc., mages have a lot of tools to stay alive until the tank pulls his head out of his $#%, or at least to make sure that they are the last DPS to die.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:34 pm

As far as being last to die goes, the 3.2 change to Invisibility can't come fast enough. I was very proud the 2 times I was able to successfully survive a wipe with it...
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

PreviousNext

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes