Remove Advertisements

[Mage PvE] Trading my plate for cloth

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: [Mage PvE] Trading my plate for cloth

Postby Flipthebird » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:58 am

Doogiehowser wrote:I leveled frost from 1-70 prior to WotLK and I need a break from it. I know every class can be boring at times but I just found frostbolt after frostbolt to be tedious. I agree that frost has a lot more "control" a but I'm really enjoying arcane.

I find arcane to have pretty good survivability as well. Not in the sense of controlling mobs, but I'm as slippery as a greased up pig. Being able to cast on the move with a rotation of Arcane Barrage and Fire Blast and having Invisibility is pretty fun. Add in the obligatory blink, nova, ice block and I find myself surviving situations as easily as my frost mage friends.

If you were doing frostbolt after frostbolt, you were playing frost wrong ;) Frost = pop ice barrier, mount up, aggro 8-12 mobs, make them bunch up, stand in them until ice barrier breaks and freezes them all, blink, use imp blizzard, ????, Profit.

frost was prolly the fastest leveling i ever did.

never tried arcane tho, heard it can be fun.
So Hitler was a vegatarian, and a painter.

He must of been like, 'Ahh I can't get the fricken trees...DAMN I will kill EVERYBODY in the world!"

-Eddie Izzard
Flipthebird

Postby bub64882 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:54 am

Flipthebird wrote:
Doogiehowser wrote:I leveled frost from 1-70 prior to WotLK and I need a break from it. I know every class can be boring at times but I just found frostbolt after frostbolt to be tedious. I agree that frost has a lot more "control" a but I'm really enjoying arcane.

I find arcane to have pretty good survivability as well. Not in the sense of controlling mobs, but I'm as slippery as a greased up pig. Being able to cast on the move with a rotation of Arcane Barrage and Fire Blast and having Invisibility is pretty fun. Add in the obligatory blink, nova, ice block and I find myself surviving situations as easily as my frost mage friends.

If you were doing frostbolt after frostbolt, you were playing frost wrong ;) Frost = pop ice barrier, mount up, aggro 8-12 mobs, make them bunch up, stand in them until ice barrier breaks and freezes them all, blink, use imp blizzard, ????, Profit.

frost was prolly the fastest leveling i ever did.

never tried arcane tho, heard it can be fun.

Don't forget water elemental and the ranged frost nova which makes AOE levelling trivial. Also, draenei racial HOT ticks in ice block...mage w/ a 2 minute heal that will take you to 75% w/ all the spellpower your packing is a beautiful thing.
bub64882

Postby Doogiehowser » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:10 am

When you put it that way, I was probably doing it wrong. :)

Although I'm not finding too many of quests where I need to kill massive amounts of people or where they are packed up tightly in WotLK. That being said, I tried to do a little AoE leveling in BC and I'm just not very good at it. Hence, my frostbolt after frostbolt method. Hehe.

In related news, hit 75 last night (I'm a slow leveler since I don't get to play much) and arcane is becoming more and more fun as you get better gear. Less drinking, more pew pewing. AND I got an upgrade to my water/food spell so I only need one bag space for it and it gives me much more mana. Mmmm. . .mana pies.

One thing that I found to help significantly is to max out Arcane Stability while leveling. It's probably a no brainer for most of you out there but it sure has helped me quite a bit. I'm looking forward to hitting 77 so I can start on the Argent Tournament dailies for some great xp and gold.
Doogiehowser

Postby Veilan » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:30 am

Baelor wrote:And I don't have 3 sets - I just wear the highest item level prot gear I have and smack things til they hate me!

Exactly this.

Having different item sets is just a way to try to fool ourselves around the reality that you don't have actual choice - take whatever highest item level you can get, put it on, and bam, the game works. Surprise! Most of the theoretical discussion here is pretty amusing due to that simple fact. The game is designed to work. It'll work. Don't fret whether your avoidance could be 0.3% higher if you got rid of this shield and started a chain reaction of enchanting / regemming the rest of your gear.

Just tank. It's fun.
Ythalaine - Die Aldor EU
Veilan

Previous

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes