Remove Advertisements

[Mage PvE] Trading my plate for cloth

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Mage PvE] Trading my plate for cloth

Postby Doogiehowser » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:05 pm

After much internal deliberation and thought, I'm going to be hanging up my tanking/healing gear to focus on my mage.

I've come to realize that being a tank requires much more dedication that my life can provide. I don't have the time to build all three tanking sets (avoidance, EH, threat) like so many of you have. I can't leave my friends and guildmates wondering why I am not logged on because my RL prevents me to do so. I love my pally and 3.2 looks like it will become even more fun to play with him, but he's going to be sent to the Stormwind Retirement Home for the foreseeable future.

I'm excited about my mage. There seem to be very few of them on my realm and I think I can wrap my head around their play style fairly quickly. If anyone has any good sites or recommendations, I am all ears. I think it will be a nice change to turn my brain off for a bit and just "nuke". I'm sure I'll have my moments where I want to tell people what to do, but it will pass.

I'll still frequent this great site (much to the sadness of many I bet) but this pally is going towards that big bright light in the sky. Farewell defense minimum, dodge, def, parry, stam and hello hit, spell power, crit, haste, and intellect!
Doogiehowser

Re: [Mage PvE] Trading my plate for cloth

Postby Baelor » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:19 pm

Doogiehowser wrote:After much internal deliberation and thought, I'm going to be hanging up my tanking/healing gear to focus on my mage.

I've come to realize that being a tank requires much more dedication that my life can provide. I don't have the time to build all three tanking sets (avoidance, EH, threat) like so many of you have. I can't leave my friends and guildmates wondering why I am not logged on because my RL prevents me to do so. I love my pally and 3.2 looks like it will become even more fun to play with him, but he's going to be sent to the Stormwind Retirement Home for the foreseeable future.

I'm excited about my mage. There seem to be very few of them on my realm and I think I can wrap my head around their play style fairly quickly. If anyone has any good sites or recommendations, I am all ears. I think it will be a nice change to turn my brain off for a bit and just "nuke". I'm sure I'll have my moments where I want to tell people what to do, but it will pass.

I'll still frequent this great site (much to the sadness of many I bet) but this pally is going towards that big bright light in the sky. Farewell defense minimum, dodge, def, parry, stam and hello hit, spell power, crit, haste, and intellect!

Quitter!

I tank whenever, whereever, and don't conform to a schedule. And I don't have 3 sets - I just wear the highest item level prot gear I have and smack things til they hate me!
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:25 pm

Doogiehowser wrote:Farewell defense minimum, dodge, def, parry, stam and hello hit, spell power, crit, haste, and intellect!

Don't forget Spirit. Blizz will go to great lengths to make sure you don't forget Spirit. Even if that just means sticking it on everything.

My Mage is my only other level 80 character, and he's a lot of fun to play. Frostfire is nice if you like seeing lots of big flashy numbers. I get most of my information from ElitistJerks, which has a few good threads in the mage forums.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Doogiehowser » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:26 pm

I know I'm a quitter. It's not like I'm going to sell off his gear, but only having about an hour and a half for 3 nights a week doesn't really let me get too involved in the game.

Or maybe I just sucked as a tank. . . the world may never know.
Doogiehowser

Postby Doogiehowser » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:33 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:
Doogiehowser wrote:Farewell defense minimum, dodge, def, parry, stam and hello hit, spell power, crit, haste, and intellect!

Don't forget Spirit. Blizz will go to great lengths to make sure you don't forget Spirit. Even if that just means sticking it on everything.

My Mage is my only other level 80 character, and he's a lot of fun to play. Frostfire is nice if you like seeing lots of big flashy numbers. I get most of my information from ElitistJerks, which has a few good threads in the mage forums.

My mage unfortunately has a long grind to 80. He's at 71 so frostfire bolt is still out of reach. I'll probably dual spec into frostfire and arcane when it opens up at 75. I'm getting familiar with elitistjerks however I don't think I'll ever post there. I'm sure my noobish questions would be purged from their "temple". At least here at maintankadin, my Idiosyncrasies/short comings are at least overlooked.

Frostfire and seems relatively easy to learn if I'm not mistaken. Keep Living bomb up, some kind of scorch debuff up (mage or warlock), and spam frostbolt until you proc a pyroblast, right?

I'm leveling as arcane and that's even easier at the moment. Three arcane blasts and most stuff is dead by then. If not, an arcane barrage downs them. I will say that Mage armor is very nice for leveling. I know I'm sacrificing dps without molten armor, but not having to drink as often/nearly at all is quite nice. Mana gems, quick evocations. . .100% mana regen. . . very nice.
Doogiehowser

Postby Baelor » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:41 pm

Doogiehowser wrote:I know I'm a quitter. It's not like I'm going to sell off his gear, but only having about an hour and a half for 3 nights a week doesn't really let me get too involved in the game.

I'm just ribbin' ya.

Have fun being an arcanist!
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:46 pm

Yeah, ElitistJerks isn't really a place to participate, but it's good to read and keep up on theorycraft.

Frostfire is indeed pretty simple. I suck at keeping debuffs up, personally, but I still do reasonable dps (close to 3k in Heroics/Naxx 10 gear). I am very easily enamored by the big flashy crits (currently hitting 11k with trinkets), so I'll keep playing the spec for the foreseeable future, even if Fireball/TtW is theoretically more dps (plus, I like Icy Veins too much).
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Doogiehowser » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:47 pm

I know Baelor. I enjoy a good ribbing. Mmmm. . . ribs.

Speaking of quitting, I miss your blog Baelor. Too many good voices have gone quietly into the night.

I think I finally hit the breaking point on my last Naxx pug run when I had everyone complaining "I don't have kings, I don't have wisdom, I don't have might, who's doing bosanc" for 10 minutes.

It's going to be nice just popping arcane brilliance, laying down a refreshment table and then complaining about not having kings and wisdom. :)
Doogiehowser

Postby amh » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:50 pm

I thought you tanked all of one encounter in wotlk, Baelor, and that was being pushed into doing 3D? :D Having a hard time visualizing you with anything but a big narsty zweihander.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Doogiehowser » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:54 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:Yeah, ElitistJerks isn't really a place to participate, but it's good to read and keep up on theorycraft.

Frostfire is indeed pretty simple. I suck at keeping debuffs up, personally, but I still do reasonable dps (close to 3k in Heroics/Naxx 10 gear). I am very easily enamored by the big flashy crits (currently hitting 11k with trinkets), so I'll keep playing the spec for the foreseeable future, even if Fireball/TtW is theoretically more dps (plus, I like Icy Veins too much).

I'm right there with you Kysen. Running around Borean Tundra hitting a 4k crit in really really crappy gear sold being a mage for me. I'm working my way down to Icy Veins. I was questing and doing about 900-1k dps and it felt fun.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=jhendrix

That's me and my baby mage. Ignore the +12 strength on my bracers. I was leveling my enchanting and I couldn't give the damn enchant away for free.

I just have to remember that I can't run through 8 mobs anymore. It's been tough to worry about aggro radius again. Haha.
Doogiehowser

Postby Baelor » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:58 pm

Doogiehowser wrote:I know Baelor. I enjoy a good ribbing. Mmmm. . . ribs.

Speaking of quitting, I miss your blog Baelor. Too many good voices have gone quietly into the night.

I think I finally hit the breaking point on my last Naxx pug run when I had everyone complaining "I don't have kings, I don't have wisdom, I don't have might, who's doing bosanc" for 10 minutes.

It's going to be nice just popping arcane brilliance, laying down a refreshment table and then complaining about not having kings and wisdom. :)

Blog shmog. I'm not raiding regularly, I've got nothing to say. What, you wanna hear about how I did my tourney dailies and achieved the Crusader title? Plus I've hardly got enough time during the day nowadays to troll these boards, let alone write for the blog. Forget writing at night, that's when I play.

If you want to avoid complaints about buffs, be a rogue. They don't buff anything besides their poisons and bring practically no preparatory utility whatsoever! You're still going to get people begging for AI rebuffs, new tables, and portals to god-knows-where.

amh wrote:I thought you tanked all of one encounter in wotlk, Baelor, and that was being pushed into doing 3D? :D Having a hard time visualizing you with anything but a big narsty zweihander.

I tanked for practically all my Glory of the Raider achievements. I ended up tanking random Naxx-10 guild runs and Naxx-25 PUG's in 3.0, and I've been doing some fairly consistent tanking for guild Uld-10 runs (since all the guild Uld-25 tanks eschew 10-mans). And I'm starting to lean back toward tanking full-time for several reasons:
1. People need tanks, and every paladin I run into in PUG's is ret.
2. The devs are tinkering with prot and making it a little more interesting and a little less underpowered next to DK's/ferals.
3. PUG tanks are fail.
4. Speccing for ret in 3.2 is going to be hellish because of SotP.
5. Less competition for prot gear.

As of now I'm still ret-first though...
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Doogiehowser » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:02 pm

Yeah, yeah. I know you might not have much to say, but it was nice when I'd walk into work and there was an update from you. Jeez, are you one of those people that can't take a compliment? Hehe. Crusader title is pretty awesome though.

Not having to bring up pally power to resort buffs because another paladin left/joined the raid will be nice so hitting one button to refresh AI for everyone will seem easy peasy to me. :)
Doogiehowser

Postby Baelor » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:07 pm

Doogiehowser wrote:Jeez, are you one of those people that can't take a compliment?

Yes. My girlfriend can attest to this.
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby uke » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:13 pm

Doogiehowser wrote:I know I'm a quitter. It's not like I'm going to sell off his gear, but only having about an hour and a half for 3 nights a week doesn't really let me get too involved in the game.

Tis' OK, I too eventually got tired of all the pressure and drama of tanking. My solution, however, was to just pick up a big hammer and smash things :mrgreen:

However, my up and coming huntard may change that if I ever get him to 80.
Pally's been relegated to AH duties.

RAWR'ing it up as a bear now, with a side of boomkin.
uke

Postby Doogiehowser » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:13 pm

Baelor wrote:
Doogiehowser wrote:Jeez, are you one of those people that can't take a compliment?

Yes. My girlfriend can attest to this.

Two words. Thank. You.

Repeat after me. . . Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you

Now if you are really feeling brave, you can say "Thank you, you're too kind."
Doogiehowser

Next

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes