PVP and Crit Rating

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

PVP and Crit Rating

Postby Playdoh » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:15 am

I am at work when this thought hit me, so I am hoping that someone can help me out, most other sites are blocked.

Is crit rating almost worthless in PVP?

I know it's not when someone doesn't have resilience, but when someone gets 500 resilience they are reduced by 6% crit. That's the same crit reduction chance we need in our defence rating to totally knock crit's off of the hit table.

The higher brackets seem to have around 700 resilience (alot of times higher), so if I can't crit then why should I stack it in pvp, or why is it on gear?

Could someone explain to me how crit rating works in pvp with resilience?

In pve it's fairly simple the higher crit rating i have the more often I will crit, and the mobs don't have the resistance to avoid all crit's, so it becomes a very good stat to have.
Playdoh
Maintankadonor

Re: PVP and Crit Rating

Postby Elsie » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:02 am

Crit rating is extremely important for paladins in pvp. In fact, the only four stats you need in pvp, after 5% hit, is STR (Attack Power), Crit Rating, Resilience, and Stam in no particular order.

Just because someone has a lower chance to be crit doesn't make crit worthless.
Elsie

Postby majiben » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:10 am

Crit is there to allow you to have more frequent burst events, that is to say it makes you more lucky and have a greater chance of killing your opponent quickly. Resilience reduces the chance of your opponent getting lucky and when they do they don't do as much damage when they do get lucky.

The less crit you have the less likely you will be able to get killing blows on your opponents in a given time and longer you will need to fight them to longer in which time they have a greater and greater chance as the fight goes on to get lucky and kill you!
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Playdoh » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:30 am

I think i see where I was going wrong on the difference between resilience and defense.

Defense also gives you more of a chance to miss (I know it adds dodge/parry/block, but I wasn't confused about that). Resilience only goes for crits, so it's less likely to push "critical strikes) off the "hit table".

Also would the critical rating of one person increase the amount of resilience needed by the other person to avoid critical strikes?

Please let me now if that is the right way of looking at it?

I understand the math tables and formulas, I am just horrible at coming up with them on my own.
Last edited by Playdoh on Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Playdoh
Maintankadonor

Postby ulushnar » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:33 am

Resilience and Defense work in the same way against crits, except Resilience also works against spell crits, whilst Defense only works against melee. (Mobs can't crit with spells).

As for your maths, it's really simple arithmetic. If an attacker has a 32% chance to crit and his target has 7% crit reduction via Resilience, then the attacker will actually have a 25% chance to crit that target.
Last edited by ulushnar on Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Elsie » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:35 am

Specials (everything but auto attacks) used by players use a two-roll system. The first roll checks if the attack hits. The second roll checks if it crits. This is different from mobs - they only have ONE table to check when attacking you.

Say you have 25% crit rating. Your "second roll" is basically a hidden /random 1-100 where 1-25 crits.
Say their resilience gives them 5% crit reduction. Your hidden /random 1-100 still happens, but only 1-20 crits.

There is no way to completely remove crits unless your crit chance is incredibly low, say under 13%. Thus, crit rating is always useful when you are assumed not to be in greens.
Elsie

Postby majiben » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:37 am

Additionally resilience reduces damage taken from crits and DoTs. In 3.2 it will reduce all damage take from players (pets too maybe?). And you are a little confused about the hit table. First of all the hit table for PvE and PvP are different (weird stuff on the pvp one to be sure) but I won't go into it. But you could theoretically remove all crits with resilience but that would require a lot of resilience on your part and very low crit on your opponent's part.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Playdoh » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:40 am

sorry if this information was already on these boards, I did look for it.
Playdoh
Maintankadonor

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes