[Holy PvE] Patch 3.2 Changes for the Holy Paladin

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Holy PvE] Patch 3.2 Changes for the Holy Paladin

Postby sherck » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:26 pm

So, Healadins got a slew of changes upcoming in Patch 3.2 to hopefully change their play-style a bit. Let’s look at what Blizzard is doing to the Spec, shall we?

Hoped for changes (at least from my point of view):

1. Some more interactive healing (adding more decisions to what you need to be doing).
2. Increased capabilities to raid heal when called upon to do so rather than just heal the tank.

Changes that Blizzard has said they want for the class:

1. Make MP5 more attractive to a Holy Paladin
2. Limit Healadin mana so that they just do not spam Holy Light by default with no choices being made.
3. Stop Healadins from gearing like they are a DPS class (Crit, Crit and ummmm, Crit. Oh, and some Haste too, please!)

So, the first part. Making Paladin Healing more interactive and interesting. For that, we got:

- Sacred Shield: When a paladin casts Flash of Light on a target with this buff, they also now place a heal over time effect on the target, healing that target for 100% of the Flash of Light amount over 12 seconds.

Okay, kool. I can now put a dependable HoT on my main healing target (as denoted by that is the person who has the Sacred Shield on them) that I need to renew every 12 seconds. Kool. So even if I am doing a mostly Holy Light spam, I need to weave in Flash of Light in every 12 seconds in order to renew the HoT….AND I need to make sure Sacred Shield is up on the target at all times for the HoT to be effective.

Overall, I like this change quite a bit because it costs me nothing except a GCD and adds around 3000 healing (500 base plus 2500 from Spell Power to the target over 12 seconds [hmmm…..12 seconds divided by 3 = 4 ticks. 3000 health divided by 4 ticks = 750 health per tick]). I wonder if the FoL gets a Critical Strike if the HoT is maginified as well? Since Sacred Shield is on the target and a Holy Paladin gets a + 50% Crit chance when that happens it might happen quite a bit.

So, now I get one more thing to do while renewing my Beacon, renewing my Sacred Shield, casting healing spells and looking for opportunities to Cleanse and cast Hand spells. More things to do = more choices as to what is critical to do first = more fun play style. Good change. Massive buff to Flash of Light spell.

My only real question on this change; does a new FoL reset the HoT timer or are more FoLs ignored until such time as the HoT falls off? Obviously, if a new FoL resets the HoT, it is useless in a FoL spam setup. I will assume it is the 2nd case where the HoT will run to full effect once it comes up.

So, the second part. Increase Capability to raid heal when called upon to do so. What did we get there?

- Judgement of Light: Now heals for 2% of the attacker's maximum health instead of a variable amount based on the spell power and attack power of the judging paladin.

- Beacon of Light: The healing amount on the Beacon of Light target is now based on the total healing done (including over-healing) instead of the effective healing done. Radius increased to 60 yards. Multiple Paladins can now have this active on the same target. Buff indicating a player is within range of the Beacon target is no longer displayed.

So now it does not matter who Judges Light and it actually makes more sense for the Holy Paladin to Judge it since the Judgement heals can funnel through the Beacon and help keep the tank up that much more. So now Holy can Judge Light from 40 yards away, Ret can Judge Wisdom for JotW and Prot can judge Justice to keep their attack speed debuff up.

And, you are now free to FoL around the raid because you know that the full amount of your FoL is going to be applied against the tank, not just the 2k that was healed on the DPS. With Haste getting FoL down to a near 1 second cast, you can keep up a pretty much solid 3k per second healing on the tank plus your Judgement of Light heals funneling through the Beacon plus the FoL HoT.

What does all of this do? IMO without really crunching the numbers, it makes us a FoL spamming tank healer again (but not just on the tank once every 12 seconds but instead on the raid) with the occasional use of Holy Light if the inbound damage is beyond what a FoL spam can provide and Holy Shock when movement is needed. And with an FoL-HoT on the target as well as Judgement of Light heals funneling through the Beacon and a Sacred Shield on the target, you have a bit better ability to keep the tank up while you are on the move.

So, what about Blizzards hoped for changes in the class?

- Mana Regeneration: All items that provide "X mana per five seconds" have had the amount of mana they regenerate increased by approximately 25%.

Well, this is pretty straightforward. Makes that “restores 30 MP5” into a “restores 40 MP5” pretty quickly. Better itemization points for this skill makes it better.

- Replenishment: This buff now grants 1% of the target's maximum mana over 5 seconds instead of 0.25% per second. This applies to all 5 sources of Replenishment (Vampiric Touch, Judgements of the Wise, Hunting Party, Enduring Winter Frostbolts and Soul Leech).

Hmmm….current Replenishment gives you a total of 3.75% your maximum mana over 15 seconds. The way I read this is that the new Replenishment will only give you 3.00% (1% every 5 sec for 15 sec). Less mana returned.

- Divine Intellect: This talent now gives 2/4/6/8/10% increased intellect instead of 3/6/9/12/15%.

Costs me 5% Intellect which will decrease my Intellect by about 55-60 unbuffed depending on how they calculate. I just lost 800 mana and its concurrent Critical Strike chance as well.

- Illumination: This talent now returns 30% of the mana cost of the spell instead of 60%.

Uh Oh. I have not looked at a WWS in a while prior to my quitting Holy but I seem to remember than on a lot of Ulduar fights, Illumination returned a huge chunk of my mana regen during a fight. And Blizzard just cut that in half. I would bet the importance of Critical Strike to a Holy Paladin just got cut in half.

So, IMO, these changes will severely impact the ability of a Holy Paladin to chain-cast Holy Light like they have a tendency to do now. Even with a mana pool in the high 20k (27 – 29k) the changes to Replenishment and Illumination will greatly impact your endurance with a Holy Light spam. It will directly lower the desirability of Critical Strike rating on Holy Paladin gear, and thus increase MP5 both because there will be more of it and it will grow in relative importance with the diminishing of Critical Strike.

I have three large questions with this change back to a FoL healing style:

1. Is a FoL spam throughput enough to keep a tank up in current day raids? Even with Judgement of Light funneling through the Beacon and the FoL-Hot ? In Heroic and content you overgear? Sure, not worries in the least. But new content? I don’t know that it is and since we can no longer spam Holy Light due to mana concerns (I have not crunched numbers but I am sure Blizzard has…full-time Holy Light spam is dead), do all our new goodies make up for it?

2. Is a FoL spam playstyle more fun than what we do now? I still have no more choice in how many spells to cast. I still don’t have a multiple target heal. Will it be more fun?

3. Can I actually be a more effective raid healer while at the same time keeping the tank up? This is DIRECTLY related to question one above. If the FoL spam throughput is sufficient for tank healing (assuming use of FoL-HoT, Beacon fueled Judgement of Light and the occasional Holy Light or Holy Shock to counter big damage), then the answer is yet. I can heal the raid with 50-70% of my GCD and then devote the other to the tank. If the answer is no, then I still need to be casting a large number of Holy Light to keep the tank up and will not have the mana to have much endurance.

One more change to Holy Healing. I assume they meant that this is the Holy talent Improved Lay on Hands.

- Lay on Hands: The buff from this ability now reduces the physical damage taken by the target by 10/20% instead of increasing the target's armor.

This is static across all healers. They changed all of the “adds armor for a short time” to “reduces damage for a short time” type buff. Nice change because it now works against magical damage as well as physical damage. An overall buff that in no way effects the rest of our discussion.

Some interesting changes but probably not enough to make me want to come back and play Bloodprince.

Cheers,
sherck

Re: [Holy PvE] Patch 3.2 Changes for the Holy Paladin

Postby Proudfoot » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:23 pm

Lay on Hands: The buff from this ability now reduces the physical damage taken by the target by 10/20% instead of increasing the target's armor.

This is static across all healers. They changed all of the “adds armor for a short time” to “reduces damage for a short time” type buff. Nice change because it now works against magical damage as well as physical damage. An overall buff that in no way effects the rest of our discussion.

Bolded for clarity. The change to Imp LoH is almost irrelevant except I think it will work better for low armor targets in PVP.

My only real question on this change; does a new FoL reset the HoT timer or are more FoLs ignored until such time as the HoT falls off? Obviously, if a new FoL resets the HoT, it is useless in a FoL spam setup. I will assume it is the 2nd case where the HoT will run to full effect once it comes up.

I'm hoping that this will "roll" like other similar rolling dots otherwise it's kinda crap.

Uh Oh. I have not looked at a WWS in a while prior to my quitting Holy but I seem to remember than on a lot of Ulduar fights, Illumination returned a huge chunk of my mana regen during a fight. And Blizzard just cut that in half. I would bet the importance of Critical Strike to a Holy Paladin just got cut in half.

If you have mana problems you should try standing close to the boss and meleeing with SoW up in between heals. You'll recieve insane amounts of mana.
Dear Blizzard, Paper is fine but Rock needs to be nerfed.
Sincerely, Scissors
Proudfoot

Postby DisRuptive1 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:48 pm

sherck wrote:The Judgement heals can funnel through the Beacon and help keep the tank up that much more.

I don't think this is intended. It seems broken. Having 18 people (25 raid members minus 7 healers) attacking the boss with a judgement of light effect on it, all being healed for 2% of their maximum health, and then all those health gains (36% of the average raid member's healthpool) being transferred to the beacon target. Assuming an average of 20,000 health throughout the raid will give 7,200*judgement proc chance to the beaconed target. Seems OP.
DisRuptive1

Postby mconeone » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:54 am

There is no way in hell JoL will go through beacon. You're talking about insane amounts of mana-free healing on the tank.
mconeone

Postby DanimalEQ » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:23 pm

The other question I have is regarding the FoL-HoT activation.

Is this only when the target has the absorption shield active? If so (granted, I'm new to Holy), it is a very small window of time to get off a FoL that would trigger the HoT, and therefore becomes very unreliable.

If it is activated on the person that has the Sacred Shield buff (the part that triggers the absorption shield), then it becomes reliable, and useful.
DanimalEQ

Postby majiben » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:33 pm

Parent buff so it's 100% reliable.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Earantur » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:39 am

sherck wrote:This is static across all healers. They changed all of the “adds armor for a short time” to “reduces damage for a short time” type buff. Nice change because it now works against magical damage as well as physical damage. An overall buff that in no way effects the rest of our discussion.

It's only physical damage reduction. As far as I know, the reason for this change was so that these buffs would not be wasted on someone who is armour capped.
Earantur

Postby Proudfoot » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:52 pm

Earantur wrote:
sherck wrote:This is static across all healers. They changed all of the “adds armor for a short time” to “reduces damage for a short time” type buff. Nice change because it now works against magical damage as well as physical damage. An overall buff that in no way effects the rest of our discussion.

It's only physical damage reduction. As far as I know, the reason for this change was so that these buffs would not be wasted on someone who is armour capped.

Doesn't it help those with lower armor more too?
Dear Blizzard, Paper is fine but Rock needs to be nerfed.
Sincerely, Scissors
Proudfoot

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes