[Ret PVP] 3.2 Changes announced...thoughts?

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Ret PVP] 3.2 Changes announced...thoughts?

Postby bub64882 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:09 pm

So I'm looking at the patch notes:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24179

Seal of blood is gone, and we can't buy stuff w/ 2V2 rating anymore...I'm not strong at theory at all, and since I only 2V2 and only use Seal of Blood, I'm kinda at a loss. :)

Are we going to use Seal of Command now, and is 2V2 dead?
bub64882

Re: [Ret PVP] 3.2 Changes announced...thoughts?

Postby Kelaan » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:32 pm

The LIbram of Reciprocation looks to be much more compelling, now. Longer duration, and more crit rating than the PvP libram. I'll wait a bit longer and then see about picking that up, I think.
Kelaan

Postby Fedaykin98 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:40 pm

I haven't seen the 2v2 tidbit, so if it's literally true that you can't buy things using your 2v2 rating...then yes, 2v2 is dead. Why would you bother?

That would be a terrible change, imo.

The rest of the announced PvP Ret changes sound like buffs. Can use Exo again, more holy damage...sounds good, right?
Fedaykin98

Postby Robbo » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:55 pm

I'm holding back any real judgement (lol) until the PTR.

But my initial response is "ugh, wtf".
Robbo
Maintankadonor

Postby Keladin » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:01 pm

I'd like to get the opinion of some of the top rets who visit this site, the changes seem very lackluster. I like my damage in pve atm and really couldnt care less about pvp. Yes retribution is viewed as faceroll spec and press whatever button is off cd, but I notice a difference in pugs when I totally destroy other rets on the meters.

If the Art of War change was something like having a chance to proc a free judgement off the gcd I would love life. The chance to proc a free cast of an ability that misses more then any other and HAS been instant for as long as I can remember isnt exactly gamebreaking.

I'm not holding my breath for somehting like an MS debuff attached to CS. Honestly if they were to make that change I could see it staying on live for about 15 minutes.

Keladin of <Warfare>
Frostwolf, Horde
Keladin

Postby Angelarc6570 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:38 pm

I highly doubt they will give us an MS effect, while granted they have went back on their word many many times, they have stated numerous times that they have enough MS effects in the game.

Also, the ret changes seem a bit lack luster, althought thinking back to the SoV thing, kinda makes me think that they want it to be like Sunder Armor and what warriors do, build up rage, sunder sunder sunder, then unload burst. Dunno though.

Also, 2v2 will be dead after this, this change is not well thought out (*cough* Exorcism fix *cough*) and just a bandaid. I dont see it lasting, or at least I hope not.

RIP SEAL OF EMO <3
"Half my friendslist is made up of people I need to remember to hate"

Tier List! Supports!!

http://www.omgyumyum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=686

SC2/LoL
Angelarc6570

Postby bub64882 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:26 pm

The change to exorcism and it's relation to art of war is pretty interesting. It will make you pay a little more attention to that proc, and you now have a choice..."Do I need healing or more DPS?". Adding a choice like that to ret's priority system is okay, I guess. I still don't like exorcism being a cast just because it fucks up my grabbing adds while tanking. But for PVE and PVP, it will add some decision making to our "rotation", which is okay I think.

Not cutting ourselves is okay, as long as DPS stays the same.

Anyone using the Seal of Blood mana glyph? If so, what are you thinking of doing in 3.2 w/ that slot?
bub64882

Postby Proudfoot » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:36 pm

I think the change to Exorcism/AoW sucks from a PVE standpoint. Are any pallys up in the 6k damage range on single target fights even with constantly available Exorcism? Making it require something else to proc doesn't make it more attractive, it makes it less.

IMO they should have made AoW give the option to cast HoW regardless of targets health and keep exorcism how it was (unusable on players).

On another note they removed Seal of Emo but I fail to see how SoC is any more viable now. It looks like SoV/Corr will be better in all situations, for all specs as soon as this patch goes live.
Last edited by Proudfoot on Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dear Blizzard, Paper is fine but Rock needs to be nerfed.
Sincerely, Scissors
Proudfoot

Postby Sagedin » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:37 pm

Unless they increased the damage from exorcism substantially I doubt it will be used much in PVE. As there will be no more free time in our FCFS rotation with 4 sec Crusader Strike (guess we'll have to start stacking haste to get globacl cooldown to 1.33 seconds), combined with the relatively large miss chance on exorcism I doubt using the AoW procs for exorcism will be a dps increase.

Of course we'll have to see, but I'm not really impressed with these changes.
Sagedin

Postby Proudfoot » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:20 pm

Sagedin wrote:Unless they increased the damage from exorcism substantially I doubt it will be used much in PVE. As there will be no more free time in our FCFS rotation with 4 sec Crusader Strike (guess we'll have to start stacking haste to get globacl cooldown to 1.33 seconds), combined with the relatively large miss chance on exorcism I doubt using the AoW procs for exorcism will be a dps increase.

Of course we'll have to see, but I'm not really impressed with these changes.

Haste does not reduce GCD for melee abilities but does it for Exorcism?
Dear Blizzard, Paper is fine but Rock needs to be nerfed.
Sincerely, Scissors
Proudfoot

Postby Sagedin » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:16 am

Ah, my bad. Assumed it had to as it would make no sense to have an ability be clashing with global cooldowns, without the ability to make it fit in a rotation. Wonder if it will be better for dps to keep it on a 4 sec cooldown or artificially making it a 4.5 second one is better.
Sagedin

Postby crazyharry » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:17 am

bub64882 wrote:and is 2V2 dead?

Maybe I have the wrong end of the stick here, but wasn't it the class balancing done for 2s arena that was causing PVE problems?

If not, my bad, I do read the official forums when really bored and I think it may have lowered my IQ.
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a hoof stamping on a cupcake -- forever.
http://kefkafloyd.deviantart.com/art/Pi ... -201465409
crazyharry

Postby ulushnar » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:25 am

Well you can use your 2v2 to buy old stuff, so you'll be able to use 2v2 rating to buy Furious stuff in 3.2.

But yeah, speaking as someone who plays 2v2 exclusively, I'm glad of the change. It's too easy for some combos to dominate that bracket, so Blizz was forced to either fix that (which might have broken the class in other brackets) or just ignore it. They made the sensible call imo.

Will I still do 2v2 in 3.2? Probably, it's still fun after all. But hopefully some of the more hardcore PVPers will turn their attention elsewhere.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Lore » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:01 am

Art of War/Exo change is almost completely meaningless when you take into consideration that it'll probably still have its 15 second cooldown. By the time 15 seconds have passed, I'll have done anywhere between 2-3 Crusader Strikes, 1-2 Divine Storms, and 1-2 Judgements. If Art of War isn't up by then, I'm doing something very wrong.

I am kind of curious what they meant by Art of War only applying to melee critical hits though.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby uke » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:19 am

Lore wrote:Art of War/Exo change is almost completely meaningless when you take into consideration that it'll probably still have its 15 second cooldown. By the time 15 seconds have passed, I'll have done anywhere between 2-3 Crusader Strikes, 1-2 Divine Storms, and 1-2 Judgements. If Art of War isn't up by then, I'm doing something very wrong.

I am kind of curious what they meant by Art of War only applying to melee critical hits though.

By melee criticals only, i'm assuming they're referring to autoswing, CS, and DS crits, and that's it.

I don't see Exorcism as being useless now, just more situational.

If you're sitting on an AoW proc, and you get knocked back by a raid boss, fire Exorcism as you're running back to melee range.

In PVP, you can still Exorcize that mage who just blinked away from you, you just have to decide whether to heal or nuke him.

Without an AoW proc up, it's still useful for defending objectives in BG's, for nuking approaching attackers as they're approaching (especially melee attackers).

More situational...yes. Useless....no.

Fortunately, with Seal of "I cut myself" going away, I won't have to be constantly AoW healing myself in PVE, giving me an actual choice.
Pally's been relegated to AH duties.

RAWR'ing it up as a bear now, with a side of boomkin.
uke

Next

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes