Remove Advertisements

[Druid] Heeeeeere Kitty kitty kitty

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Druid] Heeeeeere Kitty kitty kitty

Postby Levantine » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:42 pm

So I have a baby Feral Druid that I've been toying around with, and I, being the bored uni student with not enough to keep me occupied that I am, have been hunting around for some information on Kitty DPS. Unfortunately, it seems as if most of the information spread around is scattered to all four corners of the internet, and mixed up with both outdated and plainly wrong things.

Anywho, since I can't think of any mainspec kitties like I can for Bears (ily Vesper), I thought I'd just ask a general sort of thing.

How do you guys find Kitty dps to pull off? I know when done right, it's super high, but how easy is it to do?

I've read around that Feral DPS is one of the very few specs where Hit and Expertise are almost unimportant compared to other DPS stats. True or False?

I've read that Armor Pen is > Agility when you reach 50% crit and have about 2-300 ArPen on your gear passively. True/False?

The rotation appears to be something along the lines of:
Keep Savage Roar up
5cp Rip up
Keep Rake up
Keep Mangle active (If no Arms Warrior or Manglebot)
Ferocious Bite with any excess combo points
Shred for general CP gen

Is this right?

Anywho, thanks in advance, and hopefully this can turn into some kind of discussion about Feral DPS. Since we need more of it. Yes we do. Shut up. <3
Levantine

Re: [Druid] Heeeeeere Kitty kitty kitty

Postby Epimer » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:08 am

My gf just this week purchased dual spec for her resto druid alt with a mind to trying kitty. We found a guide here: http://teethandclaws.blogspot.com/2009/ ... asics.html which seems to cover the basics (neither of us have experience with spec so it could be complete horseshit for all I know). There's also a couple of mods to highlight the priority rotation, in FaceMauler and FeralByKnight, which she's using in conjunction with reading around to get to grips with the rotation.
Epimer

Postby semp » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:28 am

The biggest issue i have with feral DPS is that its quite a different spec than bear tanking. Having to double spec feral/feral to both tank and dps effectively kinda stinks. Yes druid feral dps can be quite good once you reach the top gear levels.
semp

Postby iwillpunishu » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:07 am

My main spec is feral kitty, and I do a little bit of tanking when needed, so I guess I should comment. My spec and talent points are roughly where you want to be. I'm pretty sure I logged in my cat gear last night....I cant link armory from work, my toon name is punishh from stormscale U.S.

Kitty dps can be huge if your good at it, it takes practice and knowledge of what your doing, but I've been top dps an entire night of raiding, when I'm aloowed too dps all night long. If I'm not doing around 5000 dps. I'm not happy with my performance. As far as how easy is it to do? It is the hardest thing in game I have tried to master, and I am by know means great at it yet. I've raided, mage, prot pally, holy pally, and feral druid tank....this is the hardest, so if your not big on being challenged, I don't recommend it. Also being cat dps is a little like prot paladin back in the old days, not everyone knows what we are capable of. The top guild on our server actually says in the recruitment forum "no cat dps" , so be prepared for a bit of ignorance.

Hit and expertise are not "unimportant", but you dont necessarily have to cap them like other classes. I would shoot for anything over 220 hit and at least 22 expertise. I'm sure other people will argue, but thats what I've read, I personally am running over hit and expertise capped right, but thats just the way my gear is working out right now.

Your armor pen is right, Ive read once over 300 its better, but you want at least 50 percent crit first, also having a trinket such as grim toll for the armor pen prock is huge.

Your dps order looks fine, get a mod named bad kitty and smack a boss dummy for an hour or 2, it will pretty much show you everything your supposed to keep up and when.
iwillpunishu

Postby Levantine » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:04 pm

Eeeexcellent.

I didn't exactly mean that the stats were unimportant, since the normalisation they give to a rotation is still excellent, but I had just read around the place that hitcapping itself isn't a top priority. Which by itself seems really counterintuative, especially when for just about all the other classes hitcapping is the very top priority to the point of gemming for it.

Heh, I love a challenge, and the cat rotation seems like one of the hardest things WoW has to offer. \o/
Levantine

Postby semp » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:08 am

Cat DPS rotation is much harder to "master" than when I was still playing ret paladin. To many times i run into situations where I have Rip about to expire (4-5s left) and IM trying to drop another 5cp rip, yet I cant as the current Rip is more powerful. Im assuming its happening as my SR buff just wore off, but its annoying.

What buff or talent do Arms warrior have that covers the buff mangle provides?
semp

Postby iwillpunishu » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:50 pm

trauma
iwillpunishu

Postby FeralMoons » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:22 am

Has anyone found, or know of any good sites that have good tips/hints on leveling and gearing a feral druid?

And maybe somewhere with info on the how to that has been explained here? I'm currently rerolling from my DK, back to a druid and looking for any useful info as it has been literally years since I played a druid. (Cap was 60!) :lol:
FeralMoons

Postby uke » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:35 am

Funny thing is, I leveled up a druid till about level 75 as feral, having a total blast with him.

When he dinged 75 and got Savage Roar, I read up on their different priority rotations and went to town on a training dummy.

I swear, something was ALWAYS falling off, whether it was Rip, Mangle, or SR. The fact that most of the abilities required energy or combo points wasn't as bad as the fact that multiple abilities required both to function, making it a headache. And this was on a stationary target!

Sadly, I haven't touched him since. I'm all for dps rotations that require some skill, but that made my head hurt to where I don't think I'd actually *enjoy* raiding as a kitty.
Pally's been relegated to AH duties.

RAWR'ing it up as a bear now, with a side of boomkin.
uke

Postby semp » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:05 am

the rotation is actually gear dependant, sadly. Until you are hitting 50% crit you are going to have issues keeping everything up due to lack of combo point generation. Also being glyphed correctly matters. Shred glyph = 6s longer per rip, Rip glyph = 4s longer rip, 2Pc T7 = 4s longer Rips. That really is what helps to free up more time to keep up savage roar, and fit in more F. Bites. What is really great is if you have an arms warrior in the raid becuase you will no longer need to mangle, so you get in mroe Shreds = more DPS. Once you get the hang of it, feral dps is rather quite good, and I can see why it is getting a minor nerf. In my T7 quality gear, half with tanking enchants/gems, I can still pull a good 4-4.5K DPS on a fight like General V, where I am also the having to interupt, so thats at least a 4-500 DPS loss.
semp

Postby kanst » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:12 am

If your lazy, there is an addon called facemauler which will display an icon of what ability to use next, its not perfect but its pretty good. Kitty rotation is kind of a pain in the ass, but if you do it right you'll win dps. My roomate just switched from boomkin to feral and even though his gear isnt as good as the rogues he often beats them in dps.

As for armorpen, once you have 50% crit unbuffed you wanna gun for the armor pen soft cap. Which is somewhere around 500...that means when you have a trinket like grim toll proc youll be hitting a target with as little armor as possible
kanst

Postby iwillpunishu » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:44 am

anyone on the PTR have any numbers on how big the cat nerf is yet?
iwillpunishu

Postby Joanadark » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:29 pm

iwillpunishu wrote:anyone on the PTR have any numbers on how big the cat nerf is yet?

very small.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Nocturum » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:18 pm

You actually sound like you have a very good idea about the kitty dps rotation or as I like to call it dps priority. Kitty DPS is much like shadowpriest dps. If you dont manage timers and cooldowns you are going to suck at it. It does have huge rewards though and is very competive with all dps classes.

Just some tips:
- Always keep Savage Roar up. The cool thing about Savage Roar it is much like a rogue's Slice and Dice. You will not get a diluted effect if you cast it without 5 combo points. Yes you will get less time on it but you will always get your 30% more damage. So feel free to open up on bosses with a mangle/rake to get about 2-3 combo points and cast it. 15 seconds should give you enough time to get 5 combo points for a Rip that has Savage Roar active.
- Always Rip with 5 combo points! It is a dps loss to rip with 4 combo points even if the target does not have an active Rip. Wait the extra 3-4 seconds and Rip with 5 combo points! Also you should have the Shred glyph that will extend an active rip by 2 seconds everytime you Shred up to 3 times and the Rip glyph that straight up extends the timer by 6 seconds. The Shred Glyph is a huge hidden energy/combo point gain! If you can maximize this glyph your dps will go up a huge amount.
-Always use your energy cool downs. Every 30 seconds you will have 60 more energy coming you way in the form of Tigers Fury. Use the BadKitty mod or Facemauler to always keep track of it. Do not macro it!!! You can burst yourself out of energy then use it or you can use it to catch up with your Rip/Savage Roar timers. Bezerk is a huge burst of damage as well as an extended Tigers Fury. Use bezerk to maximize your timers and debuffs. Do not macro it!!! Both cooldowns need to be managed manually. This is why kitty dps is so difficult, because besides use macros the interface must be controlled by YOU to maximize your dps.
-Always have a warrior in your raid! Rofl GL with that, but seriouslly managing your Mangle debuff is a huge dps gain. Rake is a great attack for its energy and I use it but I do not believe it hinders or gains me too much dps.
-I highly recommend BadKitty. It is a serious excercise of your eyes to keep track of your buffs, the targets debuffs, and the targets bleeds. With BadKitty it keeps track of all of it by placing it in an opaque square that is off center of your kitty. Very nice mod.

GL if you want to try to dps with the feral's!

Keriel (A) Thrall <Nocturum>
Nocturum

Postby Doogiehowser » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:42 am

After being incapacitated for almost two weeks with pneumonia and mono (yes, my immune system is totally awesome), I leveled myself a feral dps druid and have been loving her. Thanks for all the great info.

Bad Kitty is a fantastic addon. I too find that stuff is falling off because my crit is low and I lack the combo point regen but it's a great class to play. At worst though, keeping up mangle, savage roar, and rake still provides some decent dps when you don't get your rip up.

It's very challenging and it also feels rewarding because you are actively managing everything.

Even with crappy gear I find myself watching Omen like a hawk on a lot of fights.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... awsneffect

Don't laugh. . . seriously, she's a work in progress. :)
Doogiehowser

Next

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes