Remove Advertisements

[Ret-PvE]Need help with improving DPS

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Ret-PvE]Need help with improving DPS

Postby Jonlo » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:34 am

http://www.wowmeteronline.com//combat/log/744116

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... or&n=Jonlo

Is there anything immediate anyone sees that I can do to improve my DPS?
Jonlo
Maintankadonor

Re: [Ret-PvE]Need help with improving DPS

Postby majiben » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:52 am

Well look at that another arathor paladin and in halcyon too.

First things first.

Your hit is low. Assuming you always raid with a draenei in your group you need 7% hit or 229 hit rating. Until the hit cap hit is better for your dps than str.

You enchanting is great but your gemming is poor. Gem the hit you need and don't skimp on the gem quality. Actually for you it might be worth using hit food instead of str food while keeping your gemming the same other than upgrading to rubies.

If you have the cash there are two things you buy. First is a DMC:G deck. Still BiS for ret and no serious ret will be without one. Second is the crafted plate belt. BiS besides 10 hard mode yogg leather belt. A slower weapon wouldn't hurt either as long as it's ilvl 213 or higher.

You'll also want to pick up a copy of Rawrand Serious help in timing.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Jonlo » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:04 am

Yeah, I was a tank on Kel'Thuzad, apped up with my insane tanking gear, and raid experience, and they were like "Wanna raid ret?" That was Sunday, so here I am crash coursing it to get everything going. Luckily I have about 7 Autumns Glow kicking around right now, so I should be able to switch out, I'm too poor for a DMC: Greatness right now (Going from next to no ret gear, to 4 PC T7.5, and other egar fully gemmed and enchanted in the course of a few days is not cheap and I forgot my bank char on KT right now), so I'm gonna have to borrow gold, and I have the titansteel to get the belt crafted, it's a matter of getting the guild to share Rune Orbs with me.

Divine Sacrifice absorbs damage continuously until Divine Shield falls off, or till you take 150% of your maximum health in damage. Confirm/Deny?
Jonlo
Maintankadonor

Postby Baelor » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:10 pm

Jonlo wrote:Divine Sacrifice absorbs damage continuously until Divine Shield falls off, or till you take 150% of your maximum health in damage. Confirm/Deny?

Divine Sacrifice absorbs damage until it has redirected 150% of your HP to you, regardless of whether it hit an immune shield or actually debited your HP pool.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Rinuk » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:43 pm

If my understanding is correct the Divine Sacrifice tooltip is off. It will run the full duration unless a tick of the damage hits for 150% of your max HP. I have used it multiple times on XT in 25man Ulduar and once i bubbled it will stay up and redirect/absorb dmg until my bubble wears off and i die or the duration runs out.

Rinuk
Rinuk

Postby Jonlo » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:48 pm

See I'm getting conflicting reports from all over the place on this one. And I can't test it until tonight on Deconstructor. Hmmmmmmmmm
Jonlo
Maintankadonor

Postby Rinuk » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:14 pm

Jonlo post back here with what you find out. I would be interested to know if i am just missing something or if it actually works like I am seeing.

Rinuk
Rinuk

Postby Dorvan » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:34 pm

Do you have any other parses? A Naxx would be especially helpful. Vezax and Yogg-Saron aren't great fights for diagnosing DPS issues (due to the mechanics of Vezax and the massive variability of a multi-phase fight like Yogg).

I can still offer some preliminary tips. Based on your data, it appears that you were under-utilizing Exorcism/HoW on Yogg, but your primary abilities seem at least roughly in the right ball park.

Regarding for gear, as has already been pointed out boosting your hit and expertise will help your DPS immensely. Hit is worth gemming for, expertise probably not quite at your gear level, but keep an eye out for pieces with it. Rawr is your friend here.

Oh, and not related directly to DPS, but regarding spec DS/DG+Divinity are *far* more useful raid utility than Aura Mastery.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Jonlo » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:47 pm

Dorvan wrote:Do you have any other parses? A Naxx would be especially helpful. Vezax and Yogg-Saron aren't great fights for diagnosing DPS issues (due to the mechanics of Vezax and the massive variability of a multi-phase fight like Yogg).

I can still offer some preliminary tips. Based on your data, it appears that you were under-utilizing Exorcism/HoW on Yogg, but your primary abilities seem at least roughly in the right ball park.

Regarding for gear, as has already been pointed out boosting your hit and expertise will help your DPS immensely. Hit is worth gemming for, expertise probably not quite at your gear level, but keep an eye out for pieces with it. Rawr is your friend here.

Oh, and not related directly to DPS, but regarding spec DS/DG+Divinity are *far* more useful raid utility than Aura Mastery.

I don't have any other parses, as all I've raided as ret is Vezax and Yogg. Last night. I'm going to regem to hit cap tonight, that should be a big boost. I want 263 hit rating right?
Jonlo
Maintankadonor

Postby Baelor » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:47 pm

Jonlo wrote:See I'm getting conflicting reports from all over the place on this one. And I can't test it until tonight on Deconstructor. Hmmmmmmmmm

http://elitistjerks.com/f76/t36779-pala ... ost1271625
Now I'm curious - hopefully EJ can help without getting me eviscerated by moderators.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Dorvan » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:50 pm

Jonlo wrote:I don't have any other parses, as all I've raided as ret is Vezax and Yogg. Last night. I'm going to regem to hit cap tonight, that should be a big boost. I want 263 hit rating right?

Assuming you have a a draenei in your group (and in an Alliance 25 man raid, that should absolutely be the case), you need about 230 hit rating (I can't be bothered to look up the exact value atm). When I optimize my current gear (which you can see by clicking on my sig) I'm at 228 hit rating, which is 0.05% below melee cap with a draenei.
Last edited by Dorvan on Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby majiben » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:50 pm

If you're not kiting, General should be a fine dps measure for melee against melee, not so much melee against ranged. The best information on DivSac is that it allows you to redirects up to 150% of your HP to you for each target affected by DSac. That's 150% per person in your raid. It's an invaluable tool that every ret should have.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Jonlo » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:58 pm

We're not kiting him. Doin the ol let the DK rotate cooldowns and win strat.
Jonlo
Maintankadonor

Postby Lore » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:34 pm

Baelor wrote:
Jonlo wrote:See I'm getting conflicting reports from all over the place on this one. And I can't test it until tonight on Deconstructor. Hmmmmmmmmm

http://elitistjerks.com/f76/t36779-pala ... ost1271625
Now I'm curious - hopefully EJ can help without getting me eviscerated by moderators.

It definitely will run the full duration while DS is up, done it many times.

@Jonlo: What priorities are you using?
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Jonlo » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:48 pm

I start with CS, Judgement, DS, Exo, Consecrate, then use them as the come up prioritizing them in the same order.

I've seen some reports saying that the DSac buff stays up, but is ineffective with Divine Shield on and the 150% HP threshold is met.
Jonlo
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes