Remove Advertisements

PVP retri - help needed inside

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: PVP retri - help needed inside

Postby Fedaykin98 » Thu May 14, 2009 2:11 pm

Do you macro various abilities to your partner, or to Focus? For instance, I rarely BoP myself (it will always be BoP to me!). It wouldn't really hurt my BG/Wintergrasp performance to have my BoP macro'd to my partner's name (or to Focus). That way I don't have to stop doing what I'm doing.
Fedaykin98

Postby Angelarc6570 » Thu May 14, 2009 2:24 pm

Absoulutly, it helps tremedously with applying pressure to your target, b/c it only consumes a global cooldown.

The macros I use are:

/target "Partners Name"
/cast Hand of Protection
/targetlasttarget

I think there may be better ones out there, but that ones pretty much good enough for me! I use my focus target for whomever our CC is going to be on and use a macro for that as well.

/target Focus
/cast Repentance
/targetlasttarget

Hope that helps!!
"Half my friendslist is made up of people I need to remember to hate"

Tier List! Supports!!

http://www.omgyumyum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=686

SC2/LoL
Angelarc6570

Postby Bozie » Fri May 15, 2009 5:56 am

In 2v2’s I use a good bit of macros to be honest. I have the N52TE and RAZER Lachesis Banshee, which allows me to map all those macros easily and makes for good response times. Below is a list of my macros I use for me and my partner. Mostly all these macros target sed player, cast spell or ability and return to original target.

#1) – PvP Trinket - Hot keyed to my 1st left mouse side button.

#2) – Bubble (Self) – Hot keyed to my 2nd left mouse side button.

#3) – Flash of Light (Self) - Hot keyed to my 1st right mouse side button.
*Art of War procs WTF

#4) – Flash of Light (Partner) - Hot keyed to my 2nd right mouse side button.

#5) – Hand of Salvation (Self / Shift + Macro = Partner) – Hot keyed to the n52te.

#6) – Hand of Protection (Self / Shift + Macro = Partner) – Hot keyed to the n52te.

#7) – Hand of Freedom (Self / Shift + Macro = Partner) – Hot keyed to the n52te.
*Saved your partner from using trinket to get out of a stun if you have talent.

#8) – Cleanse (Self / Shift + Macro = Partner) – Hot keyed to the n52te.
Bozie

Postby Angelarc6570 » Fri May 15, 2009 7:06 am

Bozie wrote:In 2v2’s I use a good bit of macros to be honest. I have the N52TE and RAZER Lachesis Banshee, which allows me to map all those macros easily and makes for good response times. Below is a list of my macros I use for me and my partner. Mostly all these macros target sed player, cast spell or ability and return to original target.

#1) – PvP Trinket - Hot keyed to my 1st left mouse side button.

#2) – Bubble (Self) – Hot keyed to my 2nd left mouse side button.

#3) – Flash of Light (Self) - Hot keyed to my 1st right mouse side button.
*Art of War procs WTF

#4) – Flash of Light (Partner) - Hot keyed to my 2nd right mouse side button.

#5) – Hand of Salvation (Self / Shift + Macro = Partner) – Hot keyed to the n52te.

#6) – Hand of Protection (Self / Shift + Macro = Partner) – Hot keyed to the n52te.

#7) – Hand of Freedom (Self / Shift + Macro = Partner) – Hot keyed to the n52te.
*Saved your partner from using trinket to get out of a stun if you have talent.

#8) – Cleanse (Self / Shift + Macro = Partner) – Hot keyed to the n52te.

You, sir, have too many buttons. Damn dirty Blood Elves! :P

Tier List! Supports!!

SC2/LoL
Angelarc6570

Postby Fedaykin98 » Fri May 15, 2009 7:48 am

I set up macros last night to BoP and HoSac my partner.

Question: Against Disc/Mage, who should we be draining? We drained the priest, which seems good, but it also occurred to me that draining the mage first would leave them with no way to win. We lost that match by a very close margin. = /

(We are Ret/Disc, btw)
Fedaykin98

Postby Angelarc6570 » Fri May 15, 2009 8:02 am

Fedaykin98 wrote:I set up macros last night to BoP and HoSac my partner.

Question: Against Disc/Mage, who should we be draining? We drained the priest, which seems good, but it also occurred to me that draining the mage first would leave them with no way to win. We lost that match by a very close margin. = /

(We are Ret/Disc, btw)

Na, draining the Priest is a very good idea, and just making sure he doesnt get a chance to get away. Disc/Mage is a very tough team, b/c they are very good at getting away, drinking, and starting up their burst again. Keep dispels on the mage, and freedom/dispel poly and keep on the mage as much as possible.

Tier List! Supports!!

SC2/LoL
Angelarc6570

Postby Bozie » Fri May 15, 2009 8:14 am

Well mages are hard for ret pallys to get close to because they are good kites BUT not impossible. I would treat that team as such:

Option 1

Repentance Mage, make him use his trinket, then JoJ him and thro that HoJ down on his ass and immediately switch to priest and blow all your cool downs and kill him. While you are doing that your healer should mana burn the priest and use anything to silence or stun him that you have while you’re burning him down.

Option 2

Repentance Priest, Stun Him and try to WTF PWN the mage, This will require your priest to try and cast offensive spells on the mage to get him down that much quicker.

* Try think offensively instead of defensively, it tends to work out for me allot more.*
Bozie

Postby Fedaykin98 » Fri May 15, 2009 1:25 pm

1) What Judgement do people use in the Arena? Justice? I've been using Light.

2) I like that you mentioned having my priest cast offensive spells, because I think against healer/DPS there have been a zillion times where I ALMOST killed someone, and having an understanding with my partner that when it comes time to kill someone, we both need to do it, probably a good idea.

Other tips on playing Ret in Arena? I know Elsie was talking about writing a guide...I'd love to hear thoughts from people.
Fedaykin98

Postby bub64882 » Fri May 15, 2009 2:19 pm

Fedaykin98 wrote:1) What Judgement do people use in the Arena? Justice? I've been using Light.

2) I like that you mentioned having my priest cast offensive spells, because I think against healer/DPS there have been a zillion times where I ALMOST killed someone, and having an understanding with my partner that when it comes time to kill someone, we both need to do it, probably a good idea.

Other tips on playing Ret in Arena? I know Elsie was talking about writing a guide...I'd love to hear thoughts from people.

Seconded on the Elsie Guide! :)

Also, my tree druid 2's partner is an engineer. Lightning Generator when we are bursting a healer is a godsend, since he can't really do anything offensive without shifting.
bub64882

Postby Angelarc6570 » Fri May 15, 2009 2:27 pm

1.) I use Justice primarily, simply because its easier than switching judgements mid fight, but I dont know a lot of good ret pallies, aka not me, like to bind them all, and use Justice unless they are fighting something other than like a druid/rogue/ret pally. Depending on how the fight is going, using the other seals may help with either mana or with heals. There have been times, before I glyphed for SoMartyr, that I had to stand there and auto attack while my measly 35 MP5 gave me enough mana to Seal of Wisdom and get enough mana back to judge. Not. Fun. At. All. :D. Also note that ive noticed a good deal of mages useing the rocket boots (read about 30%) so just because its not something that normally runs faster than normal speed, doesnt mean they dont have tricks up their tricksie sleeves.

2. Pick and chose when he is dispeling/mana burning/casting offensive spells. When the targets are in a full duration Fear or Repentance, and when you get a chance to do some mean burst while the healer is on the other side of the map. Basically, play defensivly, but also know when to go offensive to finish a target off. Helps a lot.

I know its linked in a sticky above, I think, but http://www.retpaladin.com gives some pretty good strats on different teams. My only experiance is with a Shaman, so I may not be the best of advice overall.

Tier List! Supports!!

SC2/LoL
Angelarc6570

Postby Angelarc6570 » Fri May 15, 2009 2:29 pm

bub64882 wrote:
Seconded on the Elsie Guide! :)

Also, my tree druid 2's partner is an engineer. Lightning Generator when we are bursting a healer is a godsend, since he can't really do anything offensive without shifting.

Hehe, agreed, I use Hand Rocket that when crits gives a good 3k damage burst and helps a great deal with burning something down. Also, the Darkmoon Card: Undeath proc is really nice for an extra non-on demand burst that is a great alternative to Lightning Generator or the Bandits Insignia.

Tier List! Supports!!

SC2/LoL
Angelarc6570

Postby Elsie » Sun May 17, 2009 2:20 am

Judgment of Justice on rogues and druids. Everything else is case by case between justice and light.
Elsie

Postby Fedaykin98 » Mon May 18, 2009 8:00 am

Okay, so as we've been discussing, this week was my first week of 2v2s. Yesterday afternoon, I got my ratings up over 1400 and was able to buy my first piece of Furious - the bracers, for Honor. Myself and Disc Priest beat the mirror match two times in a row to get there - those guys must hate us. :lol:

I have macros to BoP, HoSac, and HoFree my partner, which are a help. By the time he needs a hand, I don't have time to target him manually.

I'm thinking I need to get some macros for stunning and Repenting my Focus, or stunning or Repenting my target if I shift-click or something. Does anyone know how to write that, or have other tips?

We're not doing a super hot job of CCing the opposing team's healer, etc. That's definitely an area in which we can improve. I think getting that kind of Repentance macro will help me do better on my end, where I can beat on my target, and when I start to get him low, Repentance his partner, and then finish him off. So many times I've gotten someone to about 25%, or even into HoW range, and he gets healed.

In other news, the on-use from the Battlemaster's trinkets are worse than useless. Thank god Honor comes so easily - I'd be very put out to have spent Arena points or something.

Speaking of Arena points, how many are people used to getting per week?
Fedaykin98

Postby Selgar » Mon May 18, 2009 9:05 am

Fedaykin98 wrote:I'm thinking I need to get some macros for stunning and Repenting my Focus, or stunning or Repenting my target if I shift-click or something. Does anyone know how to write that, or have other tips?

/cast [mod:shift, target=focus] Repentance; Repentance

/cast [mod:shift, target=focus] Hammer of Justice; Hammer of Justice

I beleive these should work, at work so can't double check but unless the API disallows multiple target options these should work.

Edit: Logged on quick at lunch and verified the above will work. Just noticed also you wanted shift to be your current target, the above macro's will do your current target if you just hit it and your focus target on shift-hit. If you want shif to be current target then:

/cast [mod:shift] Hammer of Justice; [target=focus] Hammer of Justice
Selgar

Postby Fedaykin98 » Mon May 18, 2009 12:27 pm

Well the more I think about it, I think I would prefer to have Shift associated with my Focus, so I'll use the former ones.

My reasoning is like this: If I'm in the thick of things to where I want to immediately stun my target, it's better to have the "vanilla" use. If I'm trying to CC a healer, that's more of a calculated move that I will be anticipating, and better able to Shift for. I hope.
Fedaykin98

PreviousNext

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes