Remove Advertisements

[DK] The DK Tanking thread

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: [DK] The DK Tanking thread

Postby Levantine » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:48 am

I'm just bored of being called either overpowered and ridiculed for playing and 'easymode' class, or a retard because I tank as Frost, because I choose the avoidance and balanced threat over gobs of stamina.
Levantine

Postby Falibard » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:23 am

Levantine wrote:I'm just bored of being called either overpowered and ridiculed for playing and 'easymode' class, or a retard because I tank as Frost, because I choose the avoidance and balanced threat over gobs of stamina.

You're perfect just the way you are.
Falibard

Postby Doogiehowser » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:45 am

Levantine wrote:I'm just bored of being called either overpowered and ridiculed for playing and 'easymode' class, or a retard because I tank as Frost, because I choose the avoidance and balanced threat over gobs of stamina.

Just remember Lev, You're good enough, you're smart enough, and gosh darn it people like you.
Doogiehowser

Postby Kelaan » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:16 pm

I was going to say, I don't think you will get many "overpowered" complaints from paladins. ;) Pally tanking still seems easier than DK tanking (so far - part of that is practice, I am certain).

That said, playing my DK (Frost, mostly DPS spec) makes me laugh HARD when I solo 3 person quests without breaking a sweat. LOVING it. Makes me want to play ret some, to compare.
Kelaan

Postby Gracerath » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:43 am

I also tank as frost. Most of the time when I tank crap, its AE junk that needs to die quick and the burst potential of HB lets the team open up a bit sooner (or at least thats what I like to tell myself). Mainly though it is because I am frost DPS and the button sequences are similar enough. Our warrior tanks love it when I help out for things like Thorim or Freya =)

I love me some Frost.

I will say that changing to frost presence after dpsing in unholy presence for so long makes me uggghhhhhhh. 1.5s global cooldowns are an eternity! :P
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby majiben » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:44 am

Kelaan wrote:I was going to say, I don't think you will get many "overpowered" complaints from paladins. ;) Pally tanking still seems easier than DK tanking (so far - part of that is practice, I am certain).

That said, playing my DK (Frost, mostly DPS spec) makes me laugh HARD when I solo 3 person quests without breaking a sweat. LOVING it. Makes me want to play ret some, to compare.
3 person quests are challenging :wink: ?
Doesn't start to get interesting till it's a 5 man quest :-P

Man I loved soloing Icecrown. Loved seeing the quest dialogue saying I was dirt for not fighting one on one even though I was :-P
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Kelaan » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:24 am

Majiben wrote:3 person quests are challenging :wink: ?
Doesn't start to get interesting till it's a 5 man quest :-P

I haven't seen any 5 person quests yet in Howling Fjord. ;) I'll try them when I do.
Kelaan

Postby Falibard » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:15 am

What (if any) rune mods do you all use? I use xperl and really dislike the built in one so I've been using the DKIrunes but I'm not crazy about that one anymore either. Suggestions?
Falibard

Postby Levantine » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:16 am

I haven't felt the need for once after the first couple of months, the simple one that comes with Pitbull4 is more than enough for me.
Levantine

Postby Kelaan » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:05 am

I like the runes displayed in AG_UnitFrames, and a disease tracker from dk.info.
Kelaan

Postby Falibard » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:16 pm

Death Knights
Due to significant talent changes, all death knight talents will be reset for players.
Blood Strike: The bonus damage this ability receives from diseases on the target has been increased to 50% per disease.
Chains of Ice: Now reduces movement by 95% instead of 100%. The main effect of this change will be that targets of Chains of Ice will not have to re-issue a movement command to continue moving.
Frost Presence: 10% bonus health reduced to 6% bonus stamina.
Frost Strike: This ability can now be dodged, parried, or blocked. Weapon damage bonus reduced to 55%, down from 60%.
Icebound Fortitude: Cooldown increased to 2 minutes.
Talents
Blood
Dancing Rune Weapon: This ability now has a fixed duration of 12 seconds (which can still be modified by its glyph) and a fixed cost of 60 runic power.
Veteran of the Third War: Stamina bonus reduced to 1/2/3%.
Frost
Blood of the North: Reduced to a 3-point talent. Increases Blood Strike and Frost Strike damage by 5/10/15%. There is now a 33/66/100% chance whenever you hit with Blood Strike or Pestilence that the Blood Rune will become a Death Rune when it activates.
Lichborne: Duration reduced to 10 seconds, and cooldown reduced to 2 minutes.
Threat of Thassarian: New 3-point talent. When dual-wielding, your Death Strikes, Obliterates, Plague Strikes, Blood Strikes and Frost Strikes have a 30/60/100% chance to also deal damage with your off-hand weapon. Off-hand strikes are roughly one half the effect of the original strike.
Toughness: This talent now grants 2/4/6/8/10% armor instead of 3/6/9/12/15%, placing it in line with similar abilities of other classes.
Unholy
Desecration: This talent has been reduced to 2 points for 25/50% snare and no longer increases damage done by the death knight. It has also been moved one tier earlier in the tree and its spell effect has been made more transparent.
Desolation: New talent. This talent is in the position formerly occupied by Desecration. It causes Blood Strikes to increase all damage the death knight deals by 1/2/3/4/5% for 12 seconds.
Scourge Strike: Weapon damage bonus reduced to 40%, down from 45%. Damage increased by 10% per disease on the target, down from 11%.
Summon Gargoyle: The gargoyle now flies lower to the ground, making it susceptible to melee attacks. This ability now has a fixed duration of 30 seconds and a fixed cost of 60 runic power.
Unholy Blight: This talent has been redesigned. It no longer deals damage to nearby targets. Instead, when you deal damage with Death Coil, the target will take periodic damage for 10 seconds equal to 30% of the damage done by Death Coil. This damage accumulates in the same way as Ignite and Deep Wounds.

IBF - nerfed
Frost Presence - nerfed
Vot3W - nerfed

/sad panda...
Falibard

Postby Splug » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:44 pm

You missed toughness.

This is also not the final version of the patch notes. I do believe it's overkill though - and I've been very candid in stating the last few sets of changes were justified. I'm all for trying to level the playing field, but renaming the problem class does not solve the issue at hand.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby discerpo » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:26 pm

very sad panda indeed... :( :cry:
Discerpo-Unholy/Blood Troll DK
Horde-Gorefiend

Vindicated wrote: The hell? this is the internet, where I've been over 18 since I was 12.
discerpo

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:39 pm

To the ground, baby!

Seriously, I'd have to agree that this seems a tad overkill.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Levantine » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:59 pm

BRB rerolling pure DPS class so I don't have to put up with this shit.

They nerf the pants off DK's across the board, and then throw massive survivability buffs to Paladins. I know balance is hard, but do the devs even talk to each other?
Levantine

PreviousNext

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes