Remove Advertisements

[DK] The DK Tanking thread

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: [DK] The DK Tanking thread

Postby ulushnar » Wed May 20, 2009 8:26 am

I've never been RP-starved enough on my DK to use Horn in that way.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby discerpo » Wed May 20, 2009 8:32 am

Ulushnar wrote:I've never been RP-starved enough on my DK to use Horn in that way.

not starved but i figure why not its free, even so i have never needed my horn to last two mins with out using it let alone three
Discerpo-Unholy/Blood Troll DK
Horde-Gorefiend

Vindicated wrote: The hell? this is the internet, where I've been over 18 since I was 12.
discerpo

Postby ulushnar » Wed May 20, 2009 8:35 am

Then don't glyph for it, use another one. I like being able to forget about it for a while.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby discerpo » Wed May 20, 2009 9:20 am

i dont glyphe it my point is that if another DK in the raid has it, it prevents you from useing your horn unless you remove the three min horn first.
Horde-Gorefiend

Vindicated wrote: The hell? this is the internet, where I've been over 18 since I was 12.
discerpo

Postby Splug » Wed May 20, 2009 9:34 am

My solution was to just beat/ridicule the other two deathknights in the guild until they dropped the glyph, and then not pug stuff on my deathknight. Thus far it has proven effective.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby discerpo » Wed May 20, 2009 10:19 am

yea everytime i my horn fails and i look up to see a 3 min horn i call out in raid chat "whos fail horn glyph?"
everynow and then i join a pick up 25
sadly we dont have the manpower for solid 25's yet but but when we lead or are a part of one we rape everyone else which makes me sad when we have other people to carry.
Horde-Gorefiend

discerpo

Postby Falibard » Wed May 20, 2009 12:24 pm

Hmm there are three more useful minors, I wonder which one they aren't using...

While looking up DK minor glyphs I came across this gem. I can't even picture where that would useful. Do people dump a lot of RP healing their pet while leveling or something? :?
Falibard

Postby TzumaNew » Thu May 21, 2009 8:52 am

Falibard wrote:Hmm there are three more useful minors, I wonder which one they aren't using...
I havent found any of the DK minors to be extremely useful for frost, aside from Pestilence, so horn seems perfect in a non min/max environment. What am I missing?
TzumaNew

Postby Kelaan » Thu May 21, 2009 9:39 am

If I understand it correctly, it counts as a "stronger" effect, and thus other DKs in the raid cannot refresh the effect, thereby forcing you to be the horn of winter bitch for the entire fight.
Kelaan

Postby Splug » Thu May 21, 2009 10:12 am

TzumaNew wrote:
Falibard wrote:Hmm there are three more useful minors, I wonder which one they aren't using...
I havent found any of the DK minors to be extremely useful for frost, aside from Pestilence, so horn seems perfect in a non min/max environment. What am I missing?
Glyph of Raise Dead (free ghouls are also a free bag space slot, and the glyph pays for itself in reasonable time) and Glyph of Blood Tap (having access to a quick one-rune recovery is great for use in conjunction with a defensive cooldown. Taking damage to use it makes it a bit more questionable).

Moreover, as mentioned no one else in the raid can use horn of winter if there's a 3 minute effect and they only have a two-minute. It's a potential RP generation source, which becomes important particularly if you are spending a lot of it on rune strikes.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby discerpo » Thu May 21, 2009 10:34 am

Pestilence, Ghoul, and blood or rune tap all have some usefulness over free 10 Rp that dosnt stop others from using their horn and gaining 10 free RP, Pestilence is a given, preventing HP loss over an extra min of somthing that will benifit you to refresh sooner... k not that big of a deal, but still a better choice IMO, and finally a reagent free ghoul.. saves a bag slot and no " damn i ran out of corpse dust" moments.

my point is that it creates a pain in the ass for other players, there are other options, and with how often you can use horn + get free RP. there are 12 times in 2 min horn can be used most of the time you "can" hit it 8-10 times without throwing anything off. that is 80-100 extra RP and a Minor glyph slot. i would say i refresh my honr every 15-20 sec at the very least. that extra min that isnt used just seems like a waste to me

Bah Splug beat me to the post, dam work kept from finishing my post for like 20 min lol
Horde-Gorefiend

discerpo

Postby TzumaNew » Fri May 22, 2009 1:23 pm

Splug wrote:
TzumaNew wrote:
Glyph of Raise Dead (free ghouls are also a free bag space slot, and the glyph pays for itself in reasonable time) and Glyph of Blood Tap (having access to a quick one-rune recovery is great for use in conjunction with a defensive cooldown. Taking damage to use it makes it a bit more questionable).

Moreover, as mentioned no one else in the raid can use horn of winter if there's a 3 minute effect and they only have a two-minute. It's a potential RP generation source, which becomes important particularly if you are spending a lot of it on rune strikes.

-Splug
Yeah Pestilence and Raise Dead would be the obvious other two, but for a Frost DPS Dk I cant say I was concerned with either Blood Tap or Rune tap glyphs. Both me and the other DK in the guild, both have HoW glyphed, and neither of us are RP starved enough to use it in our rotation. One of us obviously refreshes midfight, but casting it every 15-20 seconds for extra RP I dont need seems to be worth less than the GCD. Though, it may buy me an extra FS at the end of a rotation, I have to imagine this is a wash.

I agree for defensive/tanking options, HoW would likely not be optimal, and is otherwise situational. But to assume that someone that does have it is insta-fail, seemed a bit excessive given the alternatives.
TzumaNew

Postby Falibard » Wed May 27, 2009 7:48 am

4pc T8 allows RP generation from physical attacks? Interesting...
Falibard

Postby discerpo » Thu May 28, 2009 7:34 am

Meh i solved my problem and finally made a macro for it

#showtooltip horn of winter
/cancelaura horn of winter
/cast horn of winter(rank 2)
/train

works like a charm .

in other news what do you guys think about the frost presence nerf...
Horde-Gorefiend

discerpo

Postby Falibard » Thu May 28, 2009 7:52 am

Discerpo wrote:in other news what do you guys think about the frost presence nerf...

The sky is not falling. You'll probably lose about 2% mitigation from armor in you're in Ulduar gear, might hurt a bit more for newbie DK tanks. It will just bring raid boss damage more inline with the other tank classes (except maybe bears?). Although with our cooldowns I think DK tanks will still be the top choice for hard mode bosses. (Go go Death Strike awesomeness)
Falibard

PreviousNext

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes