[Hunter] - leveling hunter tips requested

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: [Hunter] - leveling hunter tips requested

Postby uke » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:56 am

fafhrd wrote:
uke wrote: and it's especially hilarious when you're firing into a mass melee and no one notices the hunter wailing on them.

This has been pretty much the key to scoreboard-whoring as a hunter for years. Find group of people to stand behind and kill groups of your enemies. Run away when someone targets you and won't kill him in time.

I know, isn't it great! I was helping defend mines in AB yesterday with a couple other guys when horde zerged us. I was able to stand toward the back and just blast non-stop for a good solid 2 minutes (they had healers) with no one coming after me once :P

fafhrd wrote:Your pet will get 1 to 1.5 levels from a single heroic 5 man, just go do some of those to level, or farm something useful like relics of ulduar with your pet out. ToC sucks though, because it has no trash, hence very little XP, so go do real instances - you'll get badges and some gear too, as well as rep (you want ebon hold rep for helm enchants).

What you said desribes my experience so far. Only instances I've done is chain ToC runs, so little experience from there. Need to run some more for sure. My typical playtime is to go do sons of hodir and ebon hold dailies, then go PVP/PVE with whatever I choose to do.
Pally's been relegated to AH duties.

RAWR'ing it up as a bear now, with a side of boomkin.
uke

Postby Punkss2 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:47 pm

I have found this macro to be invaluable to me, especially when I'm messing around in my Survival spec:

#showtooltip Misdirection
/target pet
/cast Misdirection
Thinking of starting WOW again....
Punkss2

Postby hoho » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:37 am

Punkss2 wrote:I have found this macro to be invaluable to me, especially when I'm messing around in my Survival spec:

/target pet
/cast Misdirection
I think this is something what I use. Casts on friendly focus if you have one, pet otherwise. Useful in 5-mans, just focus on tank and fire away :)
Code: Select all
/cast [target=focus,help][help][target=pet,exists,nodead] Misdirection

As for AV, I did a few at around L72-73 on my boomkin. I gained around 300k xk/h while battles tended to often last 30 mins. Now at L77 I was doing ~600k per hour by questing with shoulders+chest, zero rest bonus. Of course quest XP drops sharply once you've cleared up a few quest hubs and you can't do 3-4 at a time in roughly same area. I managed to go from 76->77 in about 2.5-3h that included doing one Gun'drak pug, no quests there though. I'd say AV is good for afk-leveling or when you have awesome group that can clear the place in under 15 minutes.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby Punkss2 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:13 pm

Code: Select all

Is there a way to make this target either your focus' target or your pets target after casting misdirection?
Thinking of starting WOW again....
Punkss2

Postby blkthunder » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:38 am

MD doesnt car who you have targeted, just your target you want MD'd too.

Ex.) I can target baron, click the MD button, then shoot any of the other 3 horseman and still have that one aggro'd to my same MD target.

** or you can just add another line after the initial macro
/tar [target=focus,help][target=pet,help]
.............................Do not go gentle into that good night.............................
...........................Rage, rage against the dying of the light...........................
blkthunder

Postby Shoju » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:34 am

I love my Croc.

Bad Attitude + Thunderstomp = AoE grinding FTW. I'm still leveling the pet, but with the pet at 68, he is able to hold aggro off of me, and tank up to 6 -<72 mobs while we AoE. I can't wait until he has caught with me in levels (73) so that we can start having some real fun.

I'm Specc'd Survival as well.

I will dig up the macros that I have on my hunter.

I made a simple focus target macro for Misdirection (and a set focus macro that will let me set a focus target, or pick pet by default if no one is targeted)

I have a simple toggle macro for hawk/viper

I have a viper + arcane torrent macro

I have a deterrence + herb hot macro

and a couple more.I think I actually have more macros on my hunter alt that I barely play anymore than I do on my main.
Shoju

Postby blkthunder » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:04 am

In my time of playing wow ive found out that not only am i lazy irl, but im lazy in game as well. Beacuse of this i've grown fond of many macros... I tried playing without them for a while but found it cumbersome and difficult to manage cd's when you need 200 buttons to be able to click them all... so i present to you, my macro file!!! /enjoy

Cheetah/Pack Self Cast
(if you’ve played a caster you’ll like this macro)
/cast [modifier:alt] Aspect of the Cheetah
/cast aspect of the pack

The “oh shit there’s a rogue on me” Macro
#showtooltip Master's Call
/cast [target=player] Master's Call
/cast [target=player] roar of sacrifice

Old Faithful
/cast [target=focus,exists,nodead][target=pet,exists,nodead] Misdirection

Mount macro
(make sure to replace “3” with the slot you’re mount resides in as well and “Onyx Netherwing Drake” and “Swift Mistsaber” with mounts you own)
/script local m=GetZoneText() if (m=="Dalaran" or m=="Wintergrasp") and (GetSubZoneText()~="Krasus' Landing") then CallCompanion("Mount", 3);end
/use [flyable,nomounted] Onyx Netherwing Drake; [nomounted] Swift Mistsaber
/dismount

BM Shots
(assumes 3/3 catlike reflexes, remove /use 10 if you’re not an engineer)
#showtooltip arcane shot
/use 10
/use 14
/cast arcane shot

#showtooltip multi-shot
/use 10
/use 14
/cast multi-shot

#showtooltip steady shot
/use 10
/use 14
/cast steady shot

CD’s
#showtooltip serpent sting
/cast [target=pettarget,exists] kill command
/cast bestial wrath
/cast serpent sting

MM Shots
(assumes Silencing is spec’d)
#showtooltip aimed shot
/use 10
/use 14
/cast silencing shot
/cast aimed shot

#showtooltip arcane shot
/use 10
/use 14
/cast silencing shot
/cast arcane shot

#showtooltip chimera shot
/use 10
/use 14
/cast silencing shot
/cast chimera shot

#showtooltip steady shot
/use 10
/use 14
/cast silencing shot
/cast steady shot

Pet Calling
(consolidates call/dismiss/revive alt:modifier for when your pets body disappears)
/cast [modifier:alt] revive pet
/cast [pet] Dismiss Pet; Call Pet
/cast [nopet] Call Pet; [target=pet, dead] Revive Pet

Pet Caring
(I still use food to get my pets happier faster but its mostly just a mend pet)
/cast [modifier:alt] Feed Pet; Mend Pet
/use salted venison
/cast mend pet

Pet Stance (group)
(Since autocast is still buggy i use these to get my pet ready for instancing all in one click)
/petpassive
/petautocastoff growl
/petautocastoff cower
/petautocastoff charge
/petautocastoff taunt
/petautocastoff prowl

Pet Stance (solo)
/petdefensive
/petautocaston growl
/petautocaston charge
/petautocaston dash
/petautocaston intervene
/petautocaston taunt
/petautocastoff prowl
/petautocastoff cower
.............................Do not go gentle into that good night.............................
...........................Rage, rage against the dying of the light...........................
blkthunder

Postby bldavis » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:09 pm

uke wrote:So I've been getting the itch to level my dormant nelf hunter, sitting at level 27 or whereabouts. I'm thinking of grinding out the WG shards and EoH to get him the +10%XP BoA shoulders, and the BoA bow.

Some questions:

What enchant on the bow, since it's not going to be replaced for a long time? Mongoose?

As a person with a hunter main and a Tankadin alt (sacrilidge i know) I got not only the shoulders, but also the BoA chestpeice from the Argent Tournament. 20% xp from kills AND quests helps ALOT. as for the bow, mongoose procs on melee attacks, and you cant enchant a ranged wep. sadly the iLvl 1 BoA bow cant have a scope put on it either. so your best bet would be to get 2 BoA melee weapons and enchant them with agility (i think the daggers already have agility on them)

uke wrote:I know that survival is the primary raid dps spec now, but what's the preferred leveling spec? Is it still BM?

Do I want a ferocity pet for increased damage, or a tanking pet to help keep aggro/survive whilst I pew-pew?

As far as leveling spec, i was BM from 10 to 80 on my hunter, and never had a single problem fighting even elites a level or two above me with a gorilla set on defensive with growl. ran 10-39 approx with a cat and noticed a significant boost in leveling speed switching to tenacity due too the decreased downtime to eat and heal/rez pet.

uke wrote:Do you even bother applying serpent sting on leveling mobs, or not worth it from a mana standpoint?

it can be a bit of a mana hog, but you will use it in ANY dungeon, and once you get aspect of the viper ( i have no idea wat lvl) mana is no longer an issue, esp if u get the glyph of the viper. (boosted dam while in viper) i do suggest you get the viperwatch add-on gives a audible and visual reminder to switch into and out of viper at low/max mana

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Pizbit » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:00 am

BM spec with points in everything that boosts your pets ability to live.
Tank pet.
Mend Pet glyph is OP.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby hoho » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:16 am

Pizbit wrote:BM spec with points in everything that boosts your pets ability to live.
Tank pet.
Mend Pet glyph is OP.
Farming L45 mobs 4-5 at a time in STV at L36 was fun, though time consuming. Then again I did need the leather and heavy hides to continue leveling LW. As long as there were not (m)any casters it was easy.

I'd suggest to get crocodile as leveling pet for their awesome aoe damage from bad attitude. In pulls where I had 4+ mobs and it was active it was doing roughly third of it's total damage, with 8+ it was >50%. Only bad thing is it's active for 40s every 2 minutes so don't have it on autocast or you'll waste it on single mobs where it's not as effective. Bears have swipe but it has limitations (frontal aoe cone) and I believe it doesn't do as much damage.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby bldavis » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:55 pm

all the tan. pets are good choices

ive used bear, croc, rhino, and monkey

bear has swipe and t-stomp, makes it good for trying to pull one humaniod nad getting 5

croc -> bad attitude - nice aoe threat (plus looks badass when you hit beastial wrath)

rhino -> charge is nice for closing distance, but no real standout points (plus annoying stomps, cool for first 20 min, then headache til you get to stable, same with corepuppy)

gorilla -> original t-stomper ( :twisted: ) plus silverback, growl = happiness!

i never pulled aggro off my pet when i was leveling (not very often anyway)
get a tenacity pet, leave them on growl, (unless your in dungeon) have them charge in, t-stomp and THEN pew-pew

if you dont have a pet yet (1-10) use concussive shot then ss when you get them, and learn to kite :D or better yet, make friends and get used to being away form melee (as you should be anyway)

funnest thing for me is leveling my rogue with my wifes hunter and her turtle (tenacity) i sneak up, ambush, turtle charges in ( :lol:) and wife goes pew-pew normally i only hit one sinister strike and a finisher, and elite mob our level +2 is down (ie about 6 sec)

with tenacity pet, round up ALOT of mobs, volley and viper to next group or while you skin.

learn to love AotV, it works miricles. the only time i eat/drink anymore is when i lag and get stuck in an aoe.

the only other (and last) suggestion i have for new hunters, is get add-ons. i leveled to 25 w/o ANY (idk how i did but i did)

there are several nice addons for hunters, viperwatch being one i mentioned before, there is also fizgets feed-o-matic(great for on the run feeding! just click as you run to new mobs) and, i forget the name but it will automatically switch tracking skills if you have tracking mastery (i think thats the correct talent! its a teir one or two surv skill - boosts damage to mobs if youre tracking them)

hunters can be fun, and easy to play, plus are very nice in pvp if played right, but thats a diff topic! :twisted:

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Previous

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes