[Hunter] - leveling hunter tips requested

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: [Hunter] - leveling hunter tips requested

Postby Alexsindor » Fri May 15, 2009 10:48 pm

Another small tip if you are levelling as BM--at levels 50-52, I'd recommend investing in the Longevity talent. The 30% reduction in pet cooldowns is helpful not just because it reduces the cooldown on Thunderstomp to 7 seconds, but also because it reduces the cooldown on Growl to just under 4.5seconds--down from 4 GCDs to 3 GCDs.

That goes a long way to making aggro on your pet a complete non-issue in solo-play.
Alexsindor

Postby masterpoobaa » Thu May 21, 2009 9:17 pm

BM for levelling. the only way to loldps your way up.

Suggestion: get a pet like a warpstalker - they make excellent tanking pets. take a load of damage to kill, have warp to get to the mob near instantly, and now thunderstomp to aoe tank.
L71 pet can tank 4-5 L74 worg from grizz hills. I farm them for meat and leather & a good exp flow.

As much BoA items as possible too.
Ive got the trinket, bow, 2 daggers and shoulders. Thats 1/3 of my gear i dont need to upgrade until i get to 80.
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby vegardhv » Fri May 22, 2009 1:08 am

uke wrote:So I've been getting the itch to level my dormant nelf hunter, sitting at level 27 or whereabouts. I'm thinking of grinding out the WG shards and EoH to get him the +10%XP BoA shoulders, and the BoA bow.

Some questions:

What enchant on the bow, since it's not going to be replaced for a long time? Mongoose?

I know that survival is the primary raid dps spec now, but what's the preferred leveling spec? Is it still BM?

Do I want a ferocity pet for increased damage, or a tanking pet to help keep aggro/survive whilst I pew-pew?

Do you even bother applying serpent sting on leveling mobs, or not worth it from a mana standpoint?

Thanks in advance! :D

I've leveled to 68 as BM hunter running around with an ordinary cat, and I must say it's been very comfortable. Felt like running with a party of 2 or even 3 (pet is healer/tank + I am dps) - and think about it - the tank does excactly as you commands - it's heaven! I did orange group (3) quests in outland - with pretty average gear (didn't do many dungeons). Just arrived at Nortrend - and did a few quests , pretty straight forward even though it seems everyone else doing the same quests are around level 70-72. I'm not losing aggro to the pet, but that might be because of crappy gear.
vegardhv
Maintankadonor

Postby djlar » Fri May 29, 2009 7:17 am

I just rolled my first Hunter (after 18 months of playing WoW)

If the first 10 levels were a breeze, after getting the pet is way easier, I don't mind using serpent sting or arcane, mana is not an issue until I chain pull 10 mobs or so and I can just drink up for regaining it (while I send my pet to attack the next mob).

I got to lvl 15 in the first day, so when pets start learning things? I still have zero points in there, I chose a cat in the meantime and have a tanking pet on stables.

I've also chosen MM, more crit and damage done seems the way to go for me, unless maybe pet starts dying at later levels I'm keeping it..
djlar

Postby uke » Fri May 29, 2009 12:39 pm

Quick update: Just recently hit 47, and leveling is a breeze with this guy.

I got myself the WG BoA shoulders and the EoH BoA bow. The +10% experience and never having to worry about a weapon upgrade till 80 is very VERY nice!

Went Beastmaster, using a tanking bear. Once I hit lvl 44, it's been uber-easy mode with my pet getting Thunderstomp. I can up about 6-8 mobs with the bear, throw it a mend pet, and let loose with Volley till they're dead. Thunderstomp + Swipe means I never get aggro. I switch to AotViper while I skin my kills, and have full mana by the time I'm ready to pull again. Oh, and tanking elites is a breeze.

PVP at this level is crazy-fun with a hunter. I had both a 50 ret pally and 52 kitty druid (with me 47 at the time) try to jump me. I was able to kite/jumpshot both of them to death. It's like they have no recourse when fighting me: they can't stop and kill the pet, who is extremely durable, while I beat them from range. They can't run, as I can slow and catch up to them. They can't chase me, as I can just kite them till they're dead. It's great1 (of course, I haven't run into many counter classes yet, though).

I can't wait till I hit WPL and can round up tighly packed undead mobs with my pet. It's like pally AOE tanking, except I don't get hit :D
Pally's been relegated to AH duties.

RAWR'ing it up as a bear now, with a side of boomkin.
uke

Postby bub64882 » Fri May 29, 2009 2:11 pm

Shamora wrote:Hunters are so easy to level it really doesn't matter what you pick.

If you mastered the jump shot enough to kill two higher levelled players, your doing great! :)
bub64882

Postby Viycktor » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:42 pm

My old hunter main was MM for the longest time.

Leveled 1-60 as MM, then 60-70 as MM (early on, especially when good gear was hard to get and before pets got some buffs, MM was a competitive leveling spec).

I started leveling WotLK as BM, but was insanely bored (even for leveling, reminds me of lvl 60 MM raiding) with it and switched to survival. I'm gonna pull aggro and have to kite anyway, so I decided surv was a good way to go due to good mana regen and massive explosive shots and tons of instant shots that crit all the time... as it is I don't have to kite much because they just die before reaching me. I'm 73 now and haven't looked back. Lots of CC options + kiting options and a tank pet mean that soloing elites are cake walks.

But at this point, it's just play what you like.

Your pet dying shouldn't be a huge problem with leveling MM (distracing shot + kite), just your mana usage (how much time you have to spend in AotV).
Viycktor

Postby Tolaana » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:39 pm

My reply will probably be different from others around here, since my hunter was my main for most of BC and had to some pretty good gear on him before the 3.0 ArP nerf. He stuck it out at level 70 until recently since I was playing my paladin and found it so much more fun than my hunter for the time. Enough with the exposition.

I started off 70-71 as BM spec and found it was taking forever to kill mobs. As I'm one of those who prefers to kill a mob and move on rather than pull five mobs on my hunter, the leveling seemed to be taking forever. So I looked over at the Survival Talents and liked what I saw in Explosive Shot, so I went and respeced. Going back to Northrend I noticed I was able to hit for above 1k again without cooldowns up, and that three-four shotting things like you could in Outland was fairly common. I respeced a little after hitting 71, then got to 72 a lot faster than 70-71 took.

TL;DR = I personally found survival better than BM for leveling in Northrend, however I haven't tried to solo any group quests yet and my hunter started this expansion at 70 with T5 and above average gear. I got him the leather BoA WG shoulders so I could use them for a druid afterwards. Your results may vary as I have always preferred kiting as a hunter to just standing there.

Just throwing my personal opinions and experiences in here on the off-chance that it might help someone. Hunter's armory for reference, ignore the slightly off spec, been meaning to fix it: Here. Yes, I'm still leveling. So I may come back and update this at higher levels in Northrend.
ImageImageImage
I make no claims to sanity, spelling, grammar, or really any content worth reading in my post.
Tolaana

Postby Bundy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:08 am

If you mastered the jump shot enough to kill two higher levelled players, your doing great!

I never read up on my hunter like I do now for tanking. So what is this jump shot exactly? My hunter was my main for BC and I did mostly pvp with him. Was up to All S3 and half S4 with 40% crit in half surv/MM spec.

I probably already use this trick but like I said, I never read up on stuff for my hunter so I dont know for sure.

I remember leveling my hunter to be by far the quickest and funnest leveling experience thus far. I could easily do all the group quests by myself and the killing was non stop. I forget what I leveled as though, probably not BM because ive never been a fan personaly. Ya it makes my pet Uber, but what about myself? To me BM was being as good as your CD. in pvp I would be slaughtered unless my CD was up, in which case I would be the one doing the slaughtering.

Ive always ran surv for the most part, and usualy I was laughed at for not being BM, or MM. So I find it funny that its the primary spec for raids now. I can see thats its good overall, but nobody wants TS Aura? im not 80 yet with him cuz my warrior is my new main, so hunters still 72 but his MM dps is very nice indeed. Im Mostly MM with just enough in BM to get aspect mastery and to buff my pet a little. Seems to work out well with the only problem being my pet cant hold aggro (Wolf) but mobs dies before they can reach me anyways so it meh.
Bundy

Postby blkthunder » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:54 am

Bundy wrote:I never read up on my hunter like I do now for tanking. So what is this jump shot exactly? My hunter was my main for BC and I did mostly pvp with him. Was up to All S3 and half S4 with 40% crit in half surv/MM spec.

I probably already use this trick but like I said, I never read up on stuff for my hunter so I dont know for sure.

Jumpshot is the manuver u use when kiting people using arcane and concussive while having your back facing them. You jump to maintain travel speed, then use ur mouse to quickly turn around mid-air to face them and get off an arcane shot, then quickly realigning yourself to your original run direction. This is the alternative method to strafing that you probably did.

Bundy wrote:I remember leveling my hunter to be by far the quickest and funnest leveling experience thus far. I could easily do all the group quests by myself and the killing was non stop. I forget what I leveled as though, probably not BM because ive never been a fan personaly. Ya it makes my pet Uber, but what about myself? To me BM was being as good as your CD. in pvp I would be slaughtered unless my CD was up, in which case I would be the one doing the slaughtering.

BM in BC was all about haste. TBW didnt make that spec, serpent swiftness did. It made it possible to stack stats without having to worry about haste since it had such a high item cost in BC. Also, unlike most classes, there was a defined softcap for us that allowed us to not waste any stats being the most efficient use of our stats possible. 1.) Hitcap 2.) Auto shot as close to 1.5 as possible

As for BM pvp in BC, I dominated mm/sv hunters. the only cooldown that mattered in pvp was intimidation. It was on the same cd as scatter shot and didnt break on dmg. That was your only real win/lose cd, if they died in the 3 seconds u had to nuke them, great, if not, start kiting. TBW?!? I only used it as my hunter version of cloak of skill.

Bundy wrote:Ive always ran surv for the most part, and usualy I was laughed at for not being BM, or MM. So I find it funny that its the primary spec for raids now. I can see thats its good overall, but nobody wants TS Aura? im not 80 yet with him cuz my warrior is my new main, so hunters still 72 but his MM dps is very nice indeed. Im Mostly MM with just enough in BM to get aspect mastery and to buff my pet a little. Seems to work out well with the only problem being my pet cant hold aggro (Wolf) but mobs dies before they can reach me anyways so it meh.

Not a bad spec... just one thing, aspect mastry isnt really worth it. I would suggest only having imp aspect of hawk and focus fire to free up improved tracking and survival instincts in surv. Even BM pets dont hold aggro so I came up with the solution of opening with ur biggest shot, followed by concussive, then try to get another gcd in before the mob gets too close, then send ur pet in with its charge for the knockdown that should give u the time u need to drop w/e mob ur fighting, unless its an elite.

if you really want to learn about hunters id suggest 2 sites
www.elitistjerks.com (as always)
http://forums.tkasomething.com
.............................Do not go gentle into that good night.............................
...........................Rage, rage against the dying of the light...........................
blkthunder

Postby Bundy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:47 am

Jumpshot is the manuver u use when kiting people using arcane and concussive while having your back facing them. You jump to maintain travel speed, then use ur mouse to quickly turn around mid-air to face them and get off an arcane shot, then quickly realigning yourself to your original run direction. This is the alternative method to strafing that you probably did.

I had a few moves up my sleve. My usual was setting a frost trap and running circles around people. I did that jump shot sometimes too.

As for BM pvp in BC, I dominated mm/sv hunters.

Just a note, I only lost a duel or match of any kind against 1 other hunter, and he was also Surv spec, he just had way better gear than me. Other than that one guy, I never lost to another hunter. And no offense, but I kinda laughed at BM hunters who came at me head on. I would just pop my CDs and dps him down before his Immunity CD was even finished. I think in my pvp gear I was at 13-14k hp, which was alot back then. So I was not a squishy target.

Obviously I probably never fought you though, so who knows. But seriously, whats a hunters biggest fear? Melee in your face, thats what. Surv takes care of that real quick, parry/counter attack ftw.

like I said before, BM is based around your CD, if I survive that...which I will, you have little chance after that.
Last edited by Bundy on Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bundy

Postby blkthunder » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:36 am

I could never get the hang of kiting around frost traps. it always seemed as no matter how much range i got due to lag they were always in melee regardless of if i had my BW up or not. My fav trick was to set frost trap let them close distance, wingclip/intimidate then run back across the same trap. Kinda the same concept but different approach.

we'll have to agree to disagree on the 1v1 thing. People on my server refused to fight a bm hunter 1v1 due to the fact that the odds would be heavily stacked in its favor. And the only time i lost a dual to a sv hunter, was when my pet bugged out with snake trap. and my target last target macro didnt work. And the dps increase from BW wasnt so noticable for burst when it came down to it, we both had the same tools, SS, arcane shot, multi shot and auto. Yours hit a bit harder, but mine hit much much faster. and casting interruption was a big concern back then.
.............................Do not go gentle into that good night.............................
...........................Rage, rage against the dying of the light...........................
blkthunder

Postby Bundy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:06 am

and casting interruption was a big concern back then

Couldnt agree more. The funnniest thing was watching a hunter try and get an Aimed Shot off on me. It would take like 6 secs if I dicided to let him finish it at all with a scatter shot at the last second. I quickly learned to only use Aimed Shot when there was no one even looking at me.

The frost trap thing, even if they got in melee range, just jump through them with a wing clip and they have to go back through the trap. Plus there is always a good chance of entrapment or whatever its called when they get rooted in the trap.
The most annoying thing is the really smart guys who always managed to avoid my traps completly, ugh!

we both had the same tools, SS, arcane shot, multi shot and auto. Yours hit a bit harder, but mine hit much much faster.

Well not quite. You see the one thing I learned from that one guy who kicked my ass. Is that Survival Hunters will own any other spec hunter in a duel if you stay close to them, im talking meleee!

Thats how he won, he completly caught me off guard when he jumped in my face and started to melee.

I know it sounds crazy but honestly, Surv takes less damage overall and has more hp. The first tier gave you like 30-50% crit to your melee specials, I forget exactly how much but it was alot. I melee's guys for 1500 with this. Plus my increased parry chance and counter attack. Not conventional, but it gets the job done.
Last edited by Bundy on Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bundy

Postby blkthunder » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:23 am

yeah i did some arenas with a holy pally in late s2 and his conc aura was a godsend for nuking a hoj'd or stuned opponent if i had melee on me or a pet or something.

FWIW i do agree with the posters that mm/or sv will kill faster than BM. BM is almost a literal send pet, autoshot afk come back to a dead mob and ur at 100% life/mana for lvling and u can do other stuff while its happening. Its really easy, it just takes a bit of getting used to and if thats not ur playstyle then you'll either be an overly active BM hunter (all shots on cd all the time like ur supposed to be) or just go MM/Surv.
blkthunder

Postby uke » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:50 am

Quick update (if anyone's interested).

Currently level 57, BM spec minus 5 points in Lethality (5% crit) in marks tree.

I leveled to about 51 using only a bear, who was amazing for rounding about 8 or so guys and volley'ing, though single target killing was kinda "meh" speed. Switched to a wolf and have adjusted my style to burning through single targets as quickly as possible.

Some of the new pet talents are pretty dang nice, especially the ferocity talent that has a high chance to restore hp and happiness on each attack, I rarely have to worry about healing them.

Used the BoA bow (emblems) and shoulders (WG shards), both of which are a godsend, especially the bow. I can't say how nice it is to never have to worry about upgrading my primary weapon until I'm level 80.

Contrary to the post above me, I don't do the autoattack, afk, and come back when dead approach. I pretty much barrel through full throttle through enemies, especially since I can taste outland soon :). This has been my quickest leveling experience by far.

World PVP has been fun. For some reason, leveling ret pallys a couple levels higher are most likely to attack me. I just pop TBW if stunned, disengage, and jumpshot/kite them until they're dead. If they stop to focus on the pet, I can just unload on them.

My typical shot rotation has been steady shot for opener (the cast time lets pet get agro, acrane, steady x3, arcane, repeat till dead mob.

I'm really hoping that blizz brings BM back in line for dps numbers by 3.2. I'm really enjoying the style of BM with a strong pet and fast, rapid shots from me. Plus, TBW is OP for PVP, especially vs stunning, melee classes.
Pally's been relegated to AH duties.

RAWR'ing it up as a bear now, with a side of boomkin.
uke

PreviousNext

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes