Remove Advertisements

[Holy-PvE] New to healing

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: [Holy-PvE] New to healing

Postby Sharlos » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:56 pm

If you don't have the gear to sustain chain HL then you can throw in FoL for periods where you don't need to heal as much to let your mana regen and/or slow down your mana consumption.

Also make sure you are using Divine Illumination and Divine Plea often.

With Divine Plea, remember you can cancel it early if someone needs some healing.
I hate signatures, but i love irony
Sharlos

Postby aleyona » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:36 pm

Majiben wrote:Pop DP when he exposes his heart and Melee with SoW.

Actually, This is an excellent strategy for many fights in Ulduar so far - Razorscale when he's down, XT02 when his heart is exposed - that annoying wench with the pet puppies. I even found it possible on steelbreaker (I was healing the OT on an add).

SoW is the holy paladin seal, without question. I think finding ways to attack things is the new mana conservation strategy for holy Paladins.
aleyona

Postby vegardhv » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:24 am

A lot of good tips here, you guys are amazing :D

I'll be trying some healing - probably failing somewhat - coming back here to reread your posts - back healing - fail - read more - etc - until I master it :D

But darn, there are some buttons to push, I didn't think it would be as hard as tanking (although a lot harder than DPSing I imagined).

Edit: In regards to that "Oh shit button" ( that is divine favour -> holy shock - > FoL -> Lay on Hands / HoL) You guys have any useful macros? I just know I will panic in these kinds of situations (just because I can't remember quickly enough where I put those buttons hehh). I'm sure I will make it after a few tries though.
vegardhv
Maintankadonor

Postby sherck » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:42 am

On XT-002, we have a 2 Pally setup healing the MT. Beacons are on themselves. Healadin #1 starts off with Sacred Shield on the MT.

At beginning of fight, both Healadins start with a typical cast of mixing FoL / HS / HL as "normal"

At 30 seconds, Healadin #1 recasts Beacon and goes Holy Light spam with Divine Illumination active while Healadin #2 casts Sacred Shield on the target and does a Divine Plea, Arcane Torrent and FoL spam on MT.

At 60 seconds, they switch. Healadin #2 recasts Beacon and goes on a Holy Light Spam on MT while Healdin #1 casts Sacred Shield on MT, does Divine Plea, Arcane Torrent, FoL spam.

At 90 seconds, switch again...

When the heart is exposed, they both run in and auto-attack only with Judgement of Wisdom and and Seal of Wisdom up. Both are typically back to full mana at the end of the heart phase.

Start over. Rinse and repeat. Both go full Holy Light spam during Tantrum.

Same technique works with Razorscale and her grounding phases.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby Elsie » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:52 pm

Another trick:

Judgement of Light with Beacon of Light
Typically, you let the ret paladin use JoL since it raid heals for more. However, all procs from JoL count as your healing done, and thus heals your beacon target for all of the healing JoL does. While usually keeping the raid alive is a more important use for JoL, sometimes this is a very viable strategy.
Elsie

Postby sherck » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:09 am

Elsie wrote:Another trick:

Typically, you let the ret paladin use JoL since it raid heals for more. However, all procs from JoL count as your healing done, and thus heals your beacon target for all of the healing JoL does. While usually keeping the raid alive is a more important use for JoL, sometimes this is a very viable strategy.

Really ? The Judgment of Light debuff procs from everyone in the raid will replicate through the Beacon ? I have never heard that before.

My JoL debuff usually ticks for around 340ish per proc I believe. With 12-15 DPSers all attacking at the same time, that is a pretty steady 1500-2000 health per second stream going on. If they do indeed get replicated by the Beacon...

Interesting...

Cheers,
sherck

Postby Elsie » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:36 am

My JoL debuff usually ticks for around 340ish per proc I believe. With 12-15 DPSers all attacking at the same time, that is a pretty steady 1500-2000 health per second stream going on. If they do indeed get replicated by the Beacon...

It's particularly fascinating when you have a good sum of rogues.
Elsie

Postby Meatydog » Sat May 02, 2009 3:03 pm

What i did to get practice healing was heal for 25man raids, started with like OS and VoA. That way you can get in a good rotation, get used to where all your stuffs are and what they do make adjustments or whatever.

Healing in a 25 man for naxx is alot easier than healing in a 10 man or just heroic. Cause most the 25 mans that are guild runs have shamans and druids as heals so you really dont even need to be there healing. It gives you the chance to do your thing and act like your doing something while getting gear.
Meatydog

Postby vegardhv » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:49 am

Meatydog wrote:What i did to get practice healing was heal for 25man raids, started with like OS and VoA. That way you can get in a good rotation, get used to where all your stuffs are and what they do make adjustments or whatever.

Healing in a 25 man for naxx is alot easier than healing in a 10 man or just heroic. Cause most the 25 mans that are guild runs have shamans and druids as heals so you really dont even need to be there healing. It gives you the chance to do your thing and act like your doing something while getting gear.

Been healing a few heroics, naxx10 runs, and yesterday ulduar10 (with 2 druids). Now naxx was admittedly easier than Ulduar :D - anyway - I seem to have a problem with the fact I can't look away from the healbot, scared of losing control over the situation. This kind of makes me have less control over where people are at a given time, so some dudes might go out of range - and I don't know what direction they went in. This was mostly the off-tank on Ignis (wandering into the water and such. If I'm running with two druids, would it be better for them to wanter around since they have more insta heals (I don't know that for a fact, just thought so).

I hope you get where I'm going with this :D - and I figure it might be better with experience, but.. Is it normal to just keep staring at the healbot (or similar addon)?

edit: added some clarification
vegardhv
Maintankadonor

Postby Nemuria » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:35 am

You have a 40m radius of healing. You don't need to follow ppl closely. Sometimes just few steps is needed to cover the gap. For example if the room is 100m wide, you need only to slide on +/- 10m. Almost all addons and UI have an option for out of range status (I use Bartender and Pitbull).

You should keep looking at the live on-screen action during heals. It helps predict damage and movement. Rotate the camera and find a PoV like filming the encounter. Chances are if you can't see someone, he is behind you :|.
Nemuria

Postby Doogiehowser » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:56 am

Great write ups guys.

A few things I would add is to macro in your Divine Favor to your Holy Shock. I would also macro in Divine Illumination into your Holy Light. I've found myself not using Divine Illumination and Divine Favor enough and this takes care of that issue. The sooner you use Divine Illumination, the sooner it comes off of cooldown. You don't want to find yourself low on mana and just then popping Divine Illumination.
Doogiehowser

Postby GothicPL » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:08 pm

vegardhv wrote:Been healing a few heroics, naxx10 runs, and yesterday ulduar10 (with 2 druids). Now naxx was admittedly easier than Ulduar :D - anyway - I seem to have a problem with the fact I can't look away from the healbot, scared of losing control over the situation. This kind of makes me have less control over where people are at a given time, so some dudes might go out of range - and I don't know what direction they went in. This was mostly the off-tank on Ignis (wandering into the water and such. If I'm running with two druids, would it be better for them to wanter around since they have more insta heals (I don't know that for a fact, just thought so).

I hope you get where I'm going with this :D - and I figure it might be better with experience, but.. Is it normal to just keep staring at the healbot (or similar addon)?

Try to tweak your UI so that raid frames, unit frames and environment are at the center of your screen. This way, you'll notice things like special ability animations, fires and void zones while keeping an eye on raid members health bars. Please see this excellent thread: http://elitistjerks.com/f79/t53442-interface_functional_shaman_ui/
On fights like Sartharion and Sapphiron it also helps a great deal to zoom out your camera to dodge environmental damage.
GothicPL

Postby vegardhv » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:56 am

GothicPL wrote:
vegardhv wrote:Been healing a few heroics, naxx10 runs, and yesterday ulduar10 (with 2 druids). Now naxx was admittedly easier than Ulduar :D - anyway - I seem to have a problem with the fact I can't look away from the healbot, scared of losing control over the situation. This kind of makes me have less control over where people are at a given time, so some dudes might go out of range - and I don't know what direction they went in. This was mostly the off-tank on Ignis (wandering into the water and such. If I'm running with two druids, would it be better for them to wanter around since they have more insta heals (I don't know that for a fact, just thought so).

Try to tweak your UI so that raid frames, unit frames and environment are at the center of your screen. This way, you'll notice things like special ability animations, fires and void zones while keeping an eye on raid members health bars. Please see this excellent thread: http://elitistjerks.com/f79/t53442-interface_functional_shaman_ui/
On fights like Sartharion and Sapphiron it also helps a great deal to zoom out your camera to dodge environmental damage.

I couldn't really understand you at first there (how would I be able to fit everything in the middle of the screen?). But looking at some of the UIs in that thread you linked I completely do. Hehh - I got half my screen covered with standard raid frames + healbot, unit frame - and the buffs take up very large space (that's maybe the standard too).

Really good advice thanks, have to do some cleaning.
vegardhv
Maintankadonor

Postby vegardhv » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:22 am

Another question.

Was healing Emalon 25 yesterday, basically my first real 25 man raid healing experience. 2 healers assigned to heal MT, one of was me. Beacon on MT.

The MT's health bar was full for short periods of time (dodging attacks or whatever), and during these periods I was throwing flashes and shocks around the raid when it looked critical. Otherwise tried to save mana and focus on the main tank's health bar. Had a few times the boss tank was close to dying, thankfully he didn't, but if he did that would be partly or all my fault for healing elsewhere in the raid and not being enough focused on MT. Would you rather spam flash of light on the boss tank when he's at 100 % health, 'cause I don't feel I can spam holy light on a 100 % full health bar.

thanks.

edit: beacon.
vegardhv
Maintankadonor

Postby Earantur » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:24 am

vegardhv wrote:Another question.

Was healing Emalon 25 yesterday, basically my first real 25 man raid healing experience. 2 healers assigned to heal MT, one of was me. Beacon on MT.

The MT's health bar was full for short periods of time (dodging attacks or whatever), and during these periods I was throwing flashes and shocks around the raid when it looked critical. Otherwise tried to save mana and focus on the main tank's health bar. Had a few times the boss tank was close to dying, thankfully he didn't, but if he did that would be partly or all my fault for healing elsewhere in the raid and not being enough focused on MT. Would you rather spam flash of light on the boss tank when he's at 100 % health, 'cause I don't feel I can spam holy light on a 100 % full health bar.

thanks.

edit: beacon.

In that situation I'd usually either be overhealing the tank pre-emptivly or I'd be meleeing something to get mana back.

Also, a couple of nitpicks:

Elsie wrote:Another trick:

JoL's heal doesn't transfer through beacon.

Elsie wrote:3. Don't be afraid to Hand of Sacrifice the tank (or damage-taking target)
-Combine with Divine sacrifice and Divine Shield for maximum effectiveness.

Hand of Sacrifice and Divine Sacrifice don't stack.

Elsie wrote:-If you Beacon yourself, the net damage you receive is basically 0 since you'll be fully healed by default.

That depends on how much damage you are taking vs your effective healing done. For example, beacon on yourself probably won't let your raid ignore a napalm blast on you.

Elsie wrote:-Glyph of Salvation works well on off-tanks if you coordinate well with them before the fight.

I'm not sure I understand this one. How does salving yourself help off-tanks?
Earantur

PreviousNext

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes