Remove Advertisements

[Holy-PvE] New to healing

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: [Holy-PvE] New to healing

Postby sherck » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:25 am

vegardhv wrote:Another question.

Was healing Emalon 25 yesterday, basically my first real 25 man raid healing experience. 2 healers assigned to heal MT, one of was me. Beacon on MT.

The MT's health bar was full for short periods of time (dodging attacks or whatever), and during these periods I was throwing flashes and shocks around the raid when it looked critical. Otherwise tried to save mana and focus on the main tank's health bar. Had a few times the boss tank was close to dying, thankfully he didn't, but if he did that would be partly or all my fault for healing elsewhere in the raid and not being enough focused on MT. Would you rather spam flash of light on the boss tank when he's at 100 % health, 'cause I don't feel I can spam holy light on a 100 % full health bar.

thanks.

edit: beacon.

Healing assignments are important in a 25-man setup. In 5s and 10s, bosses rarely have the ability to 2 shot a Main Tank, in 25s, they often have the ability to 2 shot a tank. You can spend time healing around in 5s and 10s that you CANNOT afford in 25s.

When you are MT healing, you only worry about keeping 2 people alive....the MT and yourself. That is it. Yeah, you will get pummeled in the "healing meters" but that is the way it goes. STAY ON ASSIGNMENT.

In the case you describe, the "cancel-casting" concept is your best friend. You keep chain casting Holy Light and then cancelling it ( just move a step to cancel) just before it goes off if you don't need it but let it go through if the tank does need it. That means that your bomb is only ever 1.6ish seconds away from hitting and that is typically fast enough. If you do need to let a HL go through, alwasy let the next one go through as well to ensure the tank is topped.

Also, almost all bosses have some sort of visual or audio clue that they are about to unleash hell on the MT. You can often predict when the damage is coming and make sure your HL is in cast when this happens so it lands just after the big hit. If you know you are going to be doing an encounter, go watch a video of it from tankspot. They often point out visual or audio cues that the boss is about the flatten the tank or raid. Also, if you don't have it, a boss addon like DBM or BigWigs is invaluable for letting you know that a BIG HIT or AoE is coming.

When MT healing in 25-mans, HL is your friend. Use it with cancel-casting because FoL is just not typically enough.

Cheers,

[EDIT: Cause I am an idiot with the English language...]
sherck

Postby Argali » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:36 am

Glyph of Salvation only works if you cast it on yourself.
Argali

Postby lusisia » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:05 pm

I have a few macros myself for healing (I pulled these from the macros txt file).

Emergency Mana:
Code: Select all
MACRO 16777243 "Emergency Mana" INV_Misc_QuestionMark
/cast Arcane Torrent
/cast Divine Illumination
END

Flash of Light:
MACRO 16777217 "FoL" INV_Misc_QuestionMark
#showtooltip Flash of Light
/script UIErrorsFrame:Clear()
/cast [target=mouseover,exists,help] Flash Of Light;[help] Flash Of Light;[target=player] Flash Of Light
END

Judgements:
MACRO 16777235 "Haste Light" INV_Misc_QuestionMark
#showtooltip Judgement of Light
/cast [target=targettarget,harm] Judgement of Light;[target=target,harm] Judgement of Light
END
MACRO 16777234 "Haste Wisdom" INV_Misc_QuestionMark
#showtooltip Judgement of Wisdom
/cast [target=targettarget,harm] Judgement of Wisdom;[target=target,harm] Judgement of Wisdom
END

Holy Light:
MACRO 16777240 "HHLRaid" INV_Misc_QuestionMark
#showtooltip Holy Light
/use 10
/use 14
/cast [target=mouseover,exists,help] Holy Light;[help] Holy Light;[target=player] Holy Light
END

Holy Shock:
MACRO 16777229 "Shock Em" INV_Misc_QuestionMark
#showtooltip Holy Shock
/cast Divine Favor
/cast [target=mouseover,exists,help] Holy Shock;[help] Holy Shock;[target=target,harm] Holy Shock;[target=player Holy Shock
END

I also have a mouse-over macro for cleansing. I've found it faster than moving away from my grid frames where I heal just to click on a silly little box. I use mouseovers with grid for all my healing.

Since my target usually stays the person I'm healing, my Judgement macros allow me to hit whichever target the tank is currently beating on with a Judgement. Before I implemented that, I was just hitting judgement at the intervals to keep the buff up. Frequently I would either hit a mob with less aggro from the tank or worse, hit the next pack thanks to the increased judgement range. My Holy Shock macro also let's me get some loldps in.

I typically send the tank in with a SS and 2pc T8 Holy Shock HoT. I like to keep Bacon on myself most of the time since I then don't have to worry about healing myself with the bombs I'm dropping on the tanks.
"then somehow people manage not to see the forty fucking foot tall of fucking fiery flames of fucking doom ... and we wipe." - Isolfr
"It turns out that a large number of people are whiny motherfuckers ..." - PsiVen
lusisia
Maintankadonor

Postby verizon » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:44 am

the only thing i can clear the air on is judging light. you should avoid this unless you're in a 5 man where you're feeling rather lazy. until 3.2 drops, judgement of light will scale with AP (i've got about 1026 AP in my holy set, whereas a ret paladin would be sitting pretty around 4500 AP raid buffed) so your judgement of light will return about 320-360 per tick, and the ret paladins would return somewhere between 800-1k.
verizon

Postby vegardhv » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:52 am

Any thoughts on how to gear differently now the new patch has arrived? Mp5 not so bad any more or ? Intellect still nr 1 ? Crit still very nice ?

regards
V
vegardhv
Maintankadonor

Postby Corpsicle » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:48 am

vegardhv wrote:Any thoughts on how to gear differently now the new patch has arrived? Mp5 not so bad any more or ? Intellect still nr 1 ? Crit still very nice ?

regards
V

I like a bit of balance to my stats - I'm logged out in my normal healing set at the moment. I feel "too slow" at less than 415 haste, "too little crit" at below 25% unbuffed crit to holy spells on character sheet. I like about 200 unbuffed, while casting mp5 though if I could I'd go up to about 250. I would try to stay over 2000 spellpower while maxing out the other stats. Intellect is still the best regen stat, I see no reason to swap out any of my int gems for spellpower/mp5/etc at this point.

Mp5 seems quite nice right now - probably better than crit. I am a fan of balancing all your stats though, and I see nothing in 3.2 that really makes that any different.
Corpsicle

Previous

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes