Remove Advertisements

[Ret] Haste: Good or Bad?

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Ret] Haste: Good or Bad?

Postby Ceridwena » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:33 pm

I did try to search for some info on this, but couldn't really find anything definitive. I'm sure someone is gonna walk in here and kick my butt for missing an obvious thread, but hey... there are so many damn threads. :?

Okay, so, I took Ret as my dualspec and since I basically leveled entirely as Prot, I don't understand Ret, yet, like I do Prot. My Ret friend tells me Haste is a poor stat, but I couldn't exactly understand why. Sure, Str/Hit/Crit are gonna be more important, but he was saying something about Seals not scaling with it, or something... which I'm not understanding what that's supposed to mean. It's on the Heroes' gear for Ret, so Bliz apparently wasn't intending for it to be a poor stat. What exactly is Haste doing (besides just making you attack faster), and is it good or bad/useless?
Tankadin, Destro Lock, and now a Tree with 100% more HoTs.
Ceridwena

Re: [Ret] Haste: Good or Bad?

Postby Duraz0rz » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:40 pm

All haste does is makes your auto-attack faster. It's a slight improvement to your DPS, since both your auto-attack and seal will be hitting more.

By seals, he's probably referring to SoC, which has a chance to proc (PPM-based?). A faster weapon swing = less procs for the number of swings you do. SoB, however, procs on every swing.

It's not bad, persay, but it's not something you would specifically look for.
Duraz0rz

Postby Elsie » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:06 pm

By seals, he's probably referring to SoC, which has a chance to proc (PPM-based?). A faster weapon swing = less procs for the number of swings you do. SoB, however, procs on every swing.

SoC scales with haste, too. ppm gets converted into % chance per swing based on base weapon speed (i.e. before haste). SoC used to not scale with haste. That was a long time ago, though. Haste isn't bad, but Hit, str, expertise are vastly better. Crit and AGI are better but not as much as those three. Still, haste is "better than it used to be."

Haste lowers spell GCD from 1.5 to a minimum of 1 and, more importantly, makes you attack faster. It also makes you cast faster which isn't incredibly useful for ret but you never know when you'll have to hard cast flash of light and holy light (not that you'd want to gear for that).
Elsie

Postby Dorvan » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:32 pm

For all practical purposes, the only effect of haste on Ret DPS is to increase your white and seal damage. However, the shift of more of our damage to SoB combined with the buff to haste rating in 3.1 (it now takes less rating to get 1% haste), makes haste a pretty decent stat for us.

In my mostly Naxx25 gear, the following stat prioritys hold:

Hit >>> Str/expertise >> 2 AP >> Crit > Agi > Haste > ArPen >>> SP

That's really rough, but for some perspective the difference between 2 AP and 1 crit rating is about twice as large as between 1 crit rating and 1 armor pen rating.

Haste isn't something you really want to seek out, but it's not a completely terrible stat for us either anymore.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Ceridwena » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:48 am

Gotcha. Thanks a ton for the answers! :)
Tankadin, Destro Lock, and now a Tree with 100% more HoTs.
Ceridwena

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes