Remove Advertisements

[DK - PVE] Leveling/gear/spec

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: [DK - PVE] Leveling/gear/spec

Postby Gracerath » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:45 pm

Heh I remember doing my first Naxx25 run with the BoA shoulders. Truth be told they are pretty decent.

I leveled before the talent changes and ran DW frost. God damn I miss that spec. <3 the BoA thrashblade.

If I had to do it all over again with the new talent trees, I'd probably do blood. Simply for easier times soloing group quests.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby fafhrd » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:49 am

70-80 there was only one weapon drop/reward that was better than the BoA axe, which was the Axe from the ZulDrak arena event, but that's only if you do it at the intended level - I went and did it at 78 or so, and the BoA was better by then.

Other advantages to the BoAs:

- no time wasted levelling a new weapon skill when you get a new weapon
- more money from vendoring/sharding all those 2H quest reward weapons
- no repair costs on BoA gear
- the gear is always enchanted, which can make it better than non-BoA gear which you're not going to bother to enchant (doesn't really apply to DK weapons though)
- the axes are very slow compared to most weapons, don't know if this is good for DKs or not, but it is for other classes

Imo you really should take a couple nights off and farm the badges/shards for them, you'll be able to use them on other chars too anyway. The shoulders are very nice too, since now they give you 10% xp from both quests and mobs, which is basically all XP - with the final levels taking iirc ~2 million xp, that's 200k xp you don't need to grind *just on the final level* - probably something like 1.5 million XP total between 70-80?

In a similar vein, if guildies are doing any TBC raids for achievements or fun, tagging along on your alt is pretty profitable - good BT gear or just about any sunwell gear pretty much won't get replaced till 80 if you slap some cheap enchants and gems on them - quest rewards don't come close to competing because of crappy stat allocation, no sockets, and no enchants. This again translates to more money/time saved by vendoring/sharding rewards and not relevelling weapon skills. In particular, a good level 70 helm you can put a metagem into is better than anything you'll get before 80 just because of the meta. Hell, the gemmed and enchanted helm I got off Illidari council at 71 is equal or better than the Spiked Titansteel Helm I just got at 80, until I gem and enchant the latter. I don't know how great the gear is for DKs, but I'd imagine the warrior gear will work great. At the very least a 2H weapon from sunwell will see you through pretty far to 80, if not all the way (Apolyon was what, 148 dps?)
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby guillex » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:31 am

It'd be nice to get in on a pug T6 run ... Though I don't know how feasible that'll be with Ulduar progression going on, et al.

But we'll see. Those were actually some suggestions that I hadn't thought of before, so thank you for that :)
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Previous

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes