[DK - PVE] Leveling/gear/spec

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[DK - PVE] Leveling/gear/spec

Postby guillex » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:23 am

Hey everyone ... I'm working on my DK on off-nights, and have been to deathknight.info (which is pretty dead most of the time), so I figured I'd come here for some advice.

Lobera is currently level 69, going through a few quests in HF before heading back to Borean to continue grinding. She's currently a pure Blood dps spec, but I'm wondering if there isn't something more efficient to level. I love not having downtime, and even though I don't have a ghoul but for 2 minutes (which I rarely use because of Bloodworms), I'm still open to trying other builds.

Here's her armory:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n&n=Lobera

I don't have a max profession on either her or Guillex, so I'm trying to be mindful with gold. On that note, should I stop leveling for a bit and go grind out mining/inscription for a while?

Anyways, my current rotation is PS -> IT -> HS x2 -> Oblit -> Coil, rinse and repeat. They don't usually last 'till the Coil if Runestrike has procced.

Anyone have any ideas/advice/help?
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Re: [DK - PVE] Leveling/gear/spec

Postby guillex » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:02 pm

Guess I'll lay it out a bit easier for yas, though I'm starting to see that not a lot of people are browsin' through here today.

Ok, so here are my questions:

1. On professions:
  • Should I stop leveling for a bit, and go grind out my mining/inscription to Northrend levels?

2. On gearing:
  • What gear should I be focusing on? Pure plate with DPS stats, or a mix of whatever comes up through questing?
  • On the gear question, should I be looking to run Nexus/UK for new stuff, or just grind?
  • Weapon... Thoughts?

3. On talents/spec:
  • Would you have allocated your talents differently than I have, or do you know of a more efficient way to distribute talents?
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Panzerdin » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:35 pm

Get a big 2-hander and grind relentlessly. Personally, I'd AH it, because life's too short for instances whilst levelling. I won't talk about talents, because I don't know shit about them.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Drathian » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:28 pm

Guillex wrote:Should I stop leveling for a bit, and go grind out my mining/inscription to Northrend levels?

Yes, at the very least grind up the gathering profession you think you'll be using. Leveling without a gathering profession is just wasted time/gold.

Guillex wrote:What gear should I be focusing on? Pure plate with DPS stats, or a mix of whatever comes up through questing?

I didn't bother replacing anything until Northrend. The starter stuff looks prettier than BC stuff anyway. Once you do get to Northrend, take ANY upgrade you can get, but always aim to replace everything with plate eventually.

Guillex wrote:On the gear question, should I be looking to run Nexus/UK for new stuff, or just grind?

Run them one time once you've gotten all the quests for each dungeon, but don't bother grinding them for drops. You'll replace them before you hit level cap anyway. Plenty of time for dungeon grinding at level cap in 80's/heroics, don't start early.

Guillex wrote:Weapon... Thoughts?

Don't bother until Northrend, then pick up a green from the initial quests in Borean Tundra/Howling Fjord. Definitely finish Borean Tundra for: http://www.wowhead.com/?item=38237 at the end of the quest line that ultimately takes you to Dragonblight.

Then grab:
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=41816
from the Amphitheater of Anguish in Zul Drak.

Guillex wrote:Would you have allocated your talents differently than I have, or do you know of a more efficient way to distribute talents?

I would advise this: because Blood now uses Death Strike instead of Obliterate, I don't see much use for all the self-healing/survivability talents. Dump Blade Barrier (Unless you're tanking, I can't really tell. But since we're talking about leveling quickly, I'll assume you're DPS), Rune Tap (If you're going to get Rune Tap, fill it out), and Vendetta. I could see keeping bloodworms and Mark of Blood, however. Then pick up more DPS orientated talents like Hysteria, Abominations Might, Heart Strike*, and Dancing Rune Weapon*. (*Although the armory might be bugged and you might have these, that's what it looks like)

Use Glyph of Death Strike and Dark Death, Dancing Rune Weapon at 80.
Rotation is:

IT PS DS HS HS Dump
DS HS HS HS HS Dump

Death Strike produces a ton of healing. TONS. And it is now the FU attack of choice for blood. It also doesn't consume diseases.

Here's an example spec at 69:
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#jfVMVh0Isfof0stMZfM

Then fill out Ravenous Dead, and then divide the rest of the points as you see fit between Morbidity, Necrosis, and Blood-caked-blade.
Drathian

Postby guillex » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:57 pm

MAN I wish I'd seen this reply about an hour ago.

Lemme go respec real quick... Again, lol.

Thank you for the reply. I'll get to doing my mining asap. Just wanted to get back into the Tundra swing of things. My armory's updated a little, if you'd care to take another look... And no, I'm not tanking.

Also, with the wording of Hysteria, it seems like it's only usable on another unit ... Can we use it on ourselves?
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Elsie » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:50 pm

I'd hold off professions till 77 since you don't really run into saronite leveling and cobalt isn't very expensive. The except would be JC and cooking since you get dailies out of it ( my DK went from 71 to 72 off these since I hate leveling). Once you get epic flying, icecrown is a goldmine. Inscription might be worth power leveling early since you'll get quicker access to researches.

Gear... I kept my necklace of the deep (2 red sockets) a long time and the TBC helm with 3 sockets (+36 str) stayed with me nearly forever. The cobalt crafted stuff is better for leveling than most anything since it has no stam - just dps stats. Quest rings are really good like indignant rage. As far as weapons, I went from my Ring of Blood weapon to a quest green to the ones already mentioned.

If you're mindful of gold, just finish borean tundra then go to howling fjord. Then level in dragonblight and do the Ampitheatre at 75, and the Grizzly Hills arena at 79. You'll be level 80 with 4 completely untouched zones for some great gold. I actually held of Ampitheatre till 77 myself and made about 25-50% an xp bar duoing it with an 80 holy paladin.

Yes, hysteria can be used on yourself (last I checked). I leveled Unholy for the speed boost, but this was back before 3.1 and Death Strike was stupidly good with a third disease.
Elsie

Postby Earantur » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:25 am

Guillex wrote:Also, with the wording of Hysteria, it seems like it's only usable on another unit ... Can we use it on ourselves?

Yes, but it's far more useful to use it on someone who just lost a duel to you.

Preferably followed up by a Corpse Explosion.
Earantur

Postby guillex » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:26 am

Earantur wrote:
Guillex wrote:Also, with the wording of Hysteria, it seems like it's only usable on another unit ... Can we use it on ourselves?

Yes, but it's far more useful to use it on someone who just lost a duel to you.

Preferably followed up by a Corpse Explosion.

Ha ha ha ... that's awesome. I might give that a try one day. :D

I'm taking a little bit of time out right now to level up mining. I don't even know why I have it, really... I think I was considering going JC on Guillex, but right now it's just something to do, lol. But I have respecced, and things seem to die a little faster, though I haven't really tested it out.

Thanks for the replies, and if there's anything else you might want to add, lemme know :)
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Eizen » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:51 am

I'm leveling a DK as well on some offtime just lvl67 right now and I've somewhat tried all three specs. Mainly Frost and Unholy though. Out of the three I'm liking unholy because I can do a lot of aoe damage for those kill # of certain mob and it's better at self healing than frost. Traveling faster is always nice too ;)
Don't really know if it's been affected after the patch though.
Eizen

Postby Kelaan » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Eizen wrote:I'm leveling a DK as well on some offtime just lvl67 right now and I've somewhat tried all three specs. Mainly Frost and Unholy though. Out of the three I'm liking unholy because I can do a lot of aoe damage for those kill # of certain mob and it's better at self healing than frost. Traveling faster is always nice too ;)

I've FINALLy started playing my DK, all post-patch. I went Unholy, partly as that's what Jame recommended, but also because I love the mounted speed boost. Self healing on pretty much everything seems ridiculous once I get some mild AOE going ... but sometimes that's hard. Would Blood spec be better at self-healing? I think the travel speed increase (and perma-pet, and aoe-ability) make me more likely to stay Unholy, but I'm curious about Blood.

I am currently 61, so it might be that I'm in the "still easy" phase.

Unholy seems to be really easy -- 3 key presses, maybe 4, to kill almost anything even-level. Icy touch, Plague strike, Pestilence if I am trying to AOE, and then I swap target to something with fresh diseases and Death Strike (or Scourge Strike if I care about doing more damage). I seem to end single target fights with like 90% health, and same for mild AOE. For greater AOE, I seem to fare a bit poorer, though pestilence abuse seems to work well there. Am I doing it Wrong? When soloing, I tend to rarely have GCDs free to use my runic power, excepting death coil pulls or the occasional blight. Still, it seems like my general practice of "Get 3 diseases, death strike, blood strike or Death Coil if necessary" seems to work for just about everything so far.

edit: WTFtanking.
I had some loltastic times tanking some instances in Outland this weekend, but I still felt like I was facerolling a shitty tanking rotation. Is blood boil worthwhile? Getting Pestilence up (with 3 diseases) seemed to be longer than most groupmates wanted to wait for damage; any suggestions on how I can be doing this with an actual tanking plan, rather than just generally doing what I would be doing solo, with the exception of the occasional D&D or Blight or Blood Boil on a pull? I want to DPS, but will likely end up tanking most groups I'm in as I level.
Kelaan

Postby Splug » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:46 am

Somehow, I completely missed this thread.

One thing I can recommend is that if your goal is to reach 80 as quickly and efficiently as possible and are looking to do so as blood, run blood/unholy, and get to On A Pale Horse as quickly as possible while retaining heart strike. Increased mount speed is going to improve your leveling pace more than any actual damage-based talents. The result is that you'll have a very odd 41/0/17 build at some point, but the talents in unholy are hardly wasted either. As mentioned, Vendetta is mediocre due to having sufficient healing for non-group-quest targets already, and the talent not contributing significantly against group-quest targets. I'm actually an advocate of rune tap if you can afford it; it's strong for group-quest fights and pvp, and honestly those are the only remote difficulties any class really has while leveling nowadays.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Kelaan » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:03 pm

To be honest, I've enjoyed Unholy enough that I think I will stick with it. I am liking having a permanent controllable pet enough to want to keep that. ;) When I said I was curious about blood, I meant more that I was worried I might be Doing It Wrong, spec-wise ... but now I'm less worried about that. I'm tempted to put 4 points into Butchery/Runic power Mastery before filling out Rage of Rivendare and gettingthe gargoyle (since things seem to die too fast anyways). (Eventually, I'll likely go 0/10/x or something similar for the extra frost/shadow damage.) Is that a poor idea? Flat damage increases are nice, but I get such bursty runic power growth that I seem to have trouble spending it fast enough, sometimes.

How do the play styles of Blood and Frost specs differ from Unholy? As Unholy, I seem to want to gather a bunch of crap, get diseases on them all with Pestilence, and let Ebon Plague and other fun stuff just make things melt. My biggest challenge at this point seems to really be rounding up enough things to kill at the same time, as most single targets die in about three or four strikes. (Frost, plague, death-or-scourge, blood, with death coils when appropriate.)
Kelaan

Postby GothicPL » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:56 pm

Guillex wrote:1. On professions:
  • Should I stop leveling for a bit, and go grind out my mining/inscription to Northrend levels?

2. On gearing:
  • What gear should I be focusing on? Pure plate with DPS stats, or a mix of whatever comes up through questing?
  • On the gear question, should I be looking to run Nexus/UK for new stuff, or just grind?
  • Weapon... Thoughts?

3. On talents/spec:
  • Would you have allocated your talents differently than I have, or do you know of a more efficient way to distribute talents?

1. Get two gathering professions to your current zone levels. I went with herbalism/skinning, very easy to gather stuff as you level, and things sell for a lot.
2. If your main has enough badges of honor or stonekeeper's shards, invest in a bind on account leveling two hander. You will not regret it.
3. Blood is great - you may want to pick up a few powerful cooldowns for soloing elites - rune tap, vamp blood, mark are all good candidates. Movement speed increase from unholy is nice too, as others pointed out. One other tip - once you get Unholy Presence, you can use it in areas where mounting/dismounting is too time inefficient. This way you can move from mob to mob quicker.
GothicPL

Postby Kelaan » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:15 pm

GothicPL wrote:2. If your main has enough badges of honor or stonekeeper's shards, invest in a bind on account leveling two hander. You will not regret it.

Since BOA items are considered level 1, doesn't that mean that you can't Runeforge it? I have the BoA axe (for my warrior), but haven't wanted to skip a runeforge.
Kelaan

Postby GothicPL » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:06 pm

Kelaan wrote:
GothicPL wrote:2. If your main has enough badges of honor or stonekeeper's shards, invest in a bind on account leveling two hander. You will not regret it.

Since BOA items are considered level 1, doesn't that mean that you can't Runeforge it? I have the BoA axe (for my warrior), but haven't wanted to skip a runeforge.

You can't runeforge a BoA weapon, but if you put something like a vanilla crusader enchant on it, it will outshine runeforged green weapons of the same level most of the way to 80. Actually, DPS rune forges are not that great until you get Fallen Crusader at 70. Occasionally you may pick up a blue 2H that will be better than the BoA weapon for a couple of levels, but then BoA will pull away again. The advantage of going with BoA is that you won't need to slow down for group and instance quests to pick the said alternatives - it's guaranteed to remain a very solid weapon for your current level.

http://wowriot.gameriot.com/blogs/Scrawns-Blog-of-own/Heirloom-items-and-making-your-DK-Something-you-should-know is a good read on this.
GothicPL

Next

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes