[PVP Holy] 55/0/16?

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[PVP Holy] 55/0/16?

Postby Isetnefret » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:03 am

I was thinking of using this build for holy in pvp.

I did fairly well with my PVE holy build in battlegrounds.

My main spec is tank, and that won't change.

My offspec is holy, and what I'm looking for is a good build that will allow me to heal during raids when I need to, but when I'm not in a raid, will be effective in PVP.

Basically, I want a good PVP focused build that won't gimp my PVE healing too badly.
Isetnefret . . - . . Gavoryn

Those of you on the port side of the plane can look out and see the Grand Canyon. Those of you on the starboard can look out and see a cloud shaped like a horsey.
Isetnefret

Re: [PVP Holy] 55/0/16?

Postby neokai » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:33 pm

Ok looked through the talent build, it appears to be a variation of the 56/0/15 pve holy build.

Need you to clarify a few things:
1) Do you have another pally with imp BoW in the raid?
2) Are you planning to do arenas or bgs?

If you answer NO to (1), put 2 points into imp BoW, your casters will love you.

If you do arenas more, you might want to take points into prot tree to get Guardian's Favor, Stoicism and even Div Sacrifice. I feel survivability is the bigger issue in Arenas.
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.
My warcraftpets profile here

neokai

Postby sherck » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:00 am

I agree with Neokai.

Holy / Ret is PvE

Holy / Prot is PvP

Survivability in PvP is what you are looking for....not necessarilly increased throughput which is what the Ret tree gives you.

Very tough to get both PvE and PvP goodness in a single build for Holy.
sherck

Postby Panzerdin » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:27 am

I'm with Sherck here... Holy without Ret will blow at PvE, Holy without Prot is solely PvE, and you can't have Prot and Ret.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Elsie » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:41 pm

Holy with prot is more situationally better depending on the fight, and probably strictly better once you reach 4pc t8. Otherwise holy/ret is probably best for pve with 2-5 points in prot for divinity being optional.
Elsie

Postby majiben » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:27 am

Thing is you'll likely only want one subspec prot healer per raid with the t8p4. You will only "need" one max SS on most encounters.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Elsie » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:47 am

Thing is you'll likely only want one subspec prot healer per raid with the t8p4. You will only "need" one max SS on most encounters.

You would want one per tank. Recasting SS isn't very efficient and there's multiple encounters where more than one tank is taking damage such as deconstructor (add tank and boss tank), Iron Council (3 tanks), and Kolo (SS on the rumbler tank is OP).

Also Divine Sacrifice is very potent at 40% damage reduction. Currently, only damage taken seems to count toward the 150% HP cap. Also, if the redirected damage is pyhsical, you can do bop+DSac instead of divine shield + DSac or in addition to. Despite what people say I've found even as ret Sacrifice helps a hell of a lot in ulduar thusfar.
Elsie

Postby Isetnefret » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:22 am

I did S3-S4 arena, but my team broke up, so I mainly just stick to BG until I find a solid team again.
Isetnefret . . - . . Gavoryn

Those of you on the port side of the plane can look out and see the Grand Canyon. Those of you on the starboard can look out and see a cloud shaped like a horsey.
Isetnefret

Postby uke » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:32 am

I could have sworn that the top holy PVP builds were going deep ret for Divine Purpose (the break stuns with BoFreedom one), repentance, etc for greater cc and mobility.

Did that become unviable with the 3.1 changes?
Pally's been relegated to AH duties.

RAWR'ing it up as a bear now, with a side of boomkin.
uke

Postby majiben » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:16 am

Elsie wrote:
You would want one per tank. Recasting SS isn't very efficient and there's multiple encounters where more than one tank is taking damage such as deconstructor (add tank and boss tank), Iron Council (3 tanks), and Kolo (SS on the rumbler tank is OP).

Also Divine Sacrifice is very potent at 40% damage reduction. Currently, only damage taken seems to count toward the 150% HP cap. Also, if the redirected damage is pyhsical, you can do bop+DSac instead of divine shield + DSac or in addition to. Despite what people say I've found even as ret Sacrifice helps a hell of a lot in ulduar thusfar.
While more than one tank will take damage frequently, typically only one is in grave damage of death consistently, so much so that the small additional mitigation from DG+SS is desired at the expense of mana regen and utility from ret. It's not as though your other holy paladins without DG won't be able to use SS, it just will be weaker. The strongest holy healer should propbably be the one chosen for the SS gearing and set.

The divine sacrafice arguement is a good one but for many (not all) guilds they have plently of Divine sacrafices through their ret and prot paladins.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes