Remove Advertisements

[Ret-PVP] How to gem and enchant?

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Ret-PVP] How to gem and enchant?

Postby theothersteve7 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:03 pm

Gear selection for ret PVP seems pretty straightforward (mostly from lack of choices), but I have no idea how to properly gem and enchant. I've had resilience, stamina, strength, and hit all recommended to me. I know I want the resil enchant for chest; is everything else just the same as PVE? Are there targets and caps to aim for? I know 5% hit is good to have.

The big thing, I guess, is choosing a meta. Persistent Earthsiege Diamond (42 AP, 10% stun resist) seems like the best choice offhand. Any recommendations?
Moo.
theothersteve7

Re: [Ret-PVP] How to gem and enchant?

Postby ticklefist » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:36 pm

This is assuming you will be using PVP gear in all armor slots aside from ring, trinkets, and weapon.

First rule: Hit all the time. Second rule: Hit hard all the time.

Strength everywhere you can put it. Attack power or Agi enchants. Agi only if there is no AP enchant available in that slot. Chaotic Skyflare Diamond is about as solid a choice you can make for your Meta. Ignore resilience socket bonuses, you don't need anymore than already comes on that particular piece of armor. 20 resil to chest is actually a fairly poor enchant. You just don't get much bang for your buck out of it. I'd go for 8 or 10 stats. For your head and shoulder enchants I would go with the Ebon Blade and Hodir enchants over the Wintergrasp ones. Resilience just isn't a big deal for us. We get enough of it and we're usually not focused on until it's too late. 550-650 should suffice and can be gained without even thinking about it.

Choose your gear pieces wisely. The head and feet from Wintergrasp will give u a nice start towards reaching that 164 hit cap. Matter of fact, the PvP hit cap is really easy to reach if the effort is put forth.

Titan-Forged Plate Helm of Triumph: 44 Hit
Titan-Forged Greaves of Triumph: 36 Hit
Hateful Gladiator's Pendant of Victory: 34 Hit
Hateful Gladiator's Cloak of Victory: 34 Hit
1 Rigid Autumn's Glow (most gain when used in shoulder slot due to socket bonus): 16 Hit

164 Hit on the dot that doesn't require you to waste your boot enchant slot on Icewalker, which is inferior to 22 stam or 32 AP.

A personal preference of mine is to use Ruthlessness and Circle of Death over PVP rings for the additional Expertise. I also use Inevitable Defeat for this same reason. It ties into rule 1, hit all the time.

Lastly, do not worry about crit. You'll pick up enough off gear, enchants, and socket bonuses that it won't be a concern.

Actually said a lot more than I intended, probably more than you asked. Hope something helps tho.
ticklefist

Postby theothersteve7 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:29 am

Okay, so Ret PVP is much less dependent on Resilience than other classes, by virtue of the fact that we're already durable and thus should not be focused on. By the time Ret is getting burned, you've already lost or your opponents have bad priorities and thus you'll win anyway. Is this accurate? Does it imply that a couple pieces of PVE gear might be a good idea?

I assume I'll use PVP trinkets. At the very least, Medallion of the Horde/Alliance seems too important to skip. Are PVP rings that bad?
Moo.
theothersteve7

Postby Elsie » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:09 am

theothersteve7 wrote:Okay, so Ret PVP is much less dependent on Resilience than other classes, by virtue of the fact that we're already durable and thus should not be focused on. By the time Ret is getting burned, you've already lost or your opponents have bad priorities and thus you'll win anyway. Is this accurate? Does it imply that a couple pieces of PVE gear might be a good idea?

I assume I'll use PVP trinkets. At the very least, Medallion of the Horde/Alliance seems too important to skip. Are PVP rings that bad?

It depends entirely on your set up.

If you run Healer/dps/ret, and ret survivability > dps, resilience's value goes down.
If you run dps/dps/ret, then resilience's value goes up
If you run Healer/dps/ret, and ret survivability =< dps, resilience's value goes up.

e.g., say you run Resto Shaman / ret paladin / shadow priest. You could use full PvE gear and no one would care. They will always go after the shaman or shadow priest (well, almost always). If you run DK / Ret Paladin / Mage, they're almost always going to focus fire you or the mage.

Personally, I only use 8 str/crit, 8 str / 12 stam, and 16 str. Though once you get full deadly more STR is good. I also use tier 7.25 shoulders for the hit. Being hit capped is extremely important (and a little over doesn't hurt).

Personally, I don't use any Expertise. People cannot dodge/parry from behind and Judgment ignores both. They also can't do as such during a stun. So I've never found it a problem. Once I get my deadly shoulders (curse point cost/gains this season) I'll have to regem to Hit (can't afford the battlemaster's trinket, too much DPS loss compared to DMCG). The PvP rings aren't bad. Deadly Gladiator's ring is actually good. Hateful can be inferior to some PvE rings such as Ruthlessness or Surge Needle Ring.

Rule 3: Dead players do no damage.
Elsie

Postby theothersteve7 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:45 pm

Heh, well I plan on running with a priest, so I guess I'll just avoid Resilience. Thanks for the tips.
Moo.
theothersteve7

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes