Remove Advertisements

[PvE Ret] How can I beat those !@#% DK's..

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[PvE Ret] How can I beat those !@#% DK's..

Postby Selgar » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:47 am

It's been driving me nuts. I am always 2 or 3 on DPS in our 25 man (max geared rogue always beats me but he should, I never invite boomkins [not actually on purpose] so mages get to cry at being 5th on dps lol) the damn DK is getting me by about 200-500 dps depending on how tired I am. I am doing 3700-3900 dps in naxx and the DK is always over 4k (overall dps btw not individual fights).

I have seen here rets saying 4500 sustained and was just wondering if there is anything gear wise you guys think I can swap out to give me just a bit more. KT wont drop my damn axe, I keep losing the roll on the maly key for neck (rolled 98 last week and lost to a 99).

I currently run with 4pc bonus but I do have some extra dps stuff I could swap in (Zelik's Gaunts, and umm some boots I think), just not sure if I want to break up the set yet.

Currently using J>DS>CS>Cons>Exo priority.

Any help would be appreciated.
Selgar

Re: [PvE Ret] How can I beat those !@#% DK's..

Postby semp » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:14 am

in aoe situations, aka naxx trash all of your aoe abilities should be used as priority. Cons (>4 mobs), DS, holy wrath, judge, cs, exo. make sure to pop wings on large pulls.
semp

Postby Fedaykin98 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:17 pm

Overall, not on individual fights? Really? Everyone I know only looks at individual fights, because who cares about trash?

I can't see Armory from here, so I have no advice to give in that area. We only have one consistent DK in our raid and I beat him.

I'm not familiar with your rotation; Baelor advocates J > CS > DS > Cons > Ex, and that's what I've been using. After reading some thoughts on this site, I'm going to try J > Cons > CS > DS > Ex this week, because my average Consecrate tick x 10 (glyphed) is more than my average DS, and because going J > CS creates cooldown clashing. We'll see if I notice a difference.
Fedaykin98

Postby Baelor » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:26 pm

Fedaykin98 wrote:Overall, not on individual fights? Really? Everyone I know only looks at individual fights, because who cares about trash?

I can't see Armory from here, so I have no advice to give in that area. We only have one consistent DK in our raid and I beat him.

I'm not familiar with your rotation; Baelor advocates J > CS > DS > Cons > Ex, and that's what I've been using. After reading some thoughts on this site, I'm going to try J > Cons > CS > DS > Ex this week, because my average Consecrate tick x 10 (glyphed) is more than my average DS, and because going J > CS creates cooldown clashing. We'll see if I notice a difference.

Just to be clear, I say J > CS > DS just for simplicity's sake when getting people started. I don't want to dive into all the theorycraft on my FAQ. It'll likely change when I put out my 3.1 FAQ, since Divine Storm's damage is going up and it'll throw things off.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Lore » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:28 pm

As near as I can tell, Cons is still > DS in 3.1 due to scaling. DS damage is still around the same -- the initial hit is higher, but the RV nerf makes up for a lot of it.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Splug » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:30 pm

Yeah... overall damage is going to be governed largely by trash. If that's your concern, it's not going to be getting better single target damage that you want to work toward, but better AE damage on the trash. Focus on where the largest portion of the damage occurs (and also where a lot of people tend to slack, thus giving you room to catch up).

As already mentioned, shifting your priority to favor AE attacks in that situation is a good way to go about it.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Fedaykin98 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:30 pm

I agree with Splug, but I will reiterate that I don't know anyone that looks at trash numbers. Look at bosses. I have my Recount show me Current Fight. When we link meters in raids, we do it for discrete boss fights only. Are you looking at those at all? Perhaps you're already winning, and you just need to link him some meters to let him know who's #1. ;)
Fedaykin98

Postby Levantine » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:59 pm

Lolqq.

But seriously, DK dps is very good, apparently too good. You could be doing everything right and given equal gear a good 32/39 DK will probably beat you. Just wait until 3.1 imo and then see how you stack up. I'm personally glad that my Frost DPS is going to be relatively unchanged. :D
Levantine

Postby Gracerath » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:26 am

DK's are stupid good on trash. The AE fest that is Naxx is just asking to be exploited by howling blasts, death and decays, unholy blight, pestilence, wandering plague, etc.

I tried the DW frost early on and it was so fun but after the news of the incoming nerfage came out, I changed to unholy so I didn't come to rely on the DW OPness.

Long story short: no one gives a shit about trash. Its trash. As a DK I can be #1 on trash for the night but when it comes to boss fights and I see myself as #6-9, I cry a little inside. And outside. (Could just be where I'm supposed to be, or my rotation sucks, etc)
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes