[Warrior] leveling

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Warrior] leveling

Postby Jasari » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:25 am

Your tag, I fixed it for you. -Baelor

Since I have more badges than I know what to do with, I've decided to buy the BoA plate shoulders and 2h axe and level a warrior for the hell of it and was looking for some advice. I assume arms is probably the best leveling tree, at least until TG.
Jasari

Re: [Warrior - leveling]

Postby tinalt » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:39 am

Jasari wrote:Since I have more badges than I know what to do with, I've decided to buy the BoA plate shoulders and 2h axe and level a warrior for the hell of it and was looking for some advice. I assume arms is probably the best leveling tree, at least until TG.

I don't know anything about warriors, but the people that I've known that played them all leveled as fury.
tinalt
Maintankadonor

Re: [Warrior - leveling]

Postby Jasari » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:25 am

Looking at the trees, arms seems to be based a lot more on weapon damage which would be good with the BoA axe enchanted with Crusader while Fury has DW talents and AP based attacks. I think once I can get TG, Fury would probably pull ahead but for leveling early, where mobs are dying in just a few GCDs, burst damage looks like the only thing that would matter.
Jasari

Re: [Warrior] leveling

Postby majiben » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:37 am

If you're alliance a draenei would ease your life with their free HoT (scales with AP too!).
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Markoh » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:21 am

Leveling as a warrior is rough at first considering all you can really do is heroic strike and rend until the mob is in execute range. Once you get mortal strike or bloodthirst it becomes much, much easier. Since you are getting boa axe arms will probably be better, but I personally liked fury more (even pre tg). So if you have enough badges/stone keepers shards to get both boa 1 hand weapons and then upgrade to the 2 hand versions at lvl 60 when you get titan's grip.

If you don't really want to go through all of that, then arms should be fine until lvl 60.
Markoh

Postby Splug » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:06 am

Warriors suffer from a lot of downtime due to bandaging or eating regularly. Fury will probably be better at 40+ (especially glyphed, bloodthirst's healing return is no joke) on regenerative grounds alone. Arms has been slowly gravitating toward fighting from battle stance instead of berserker, so there's something to be said for taking less damage in the first place... but if you have decent gear, you can occasionally even net-gain health as fury. With enraged regeneration (75+) and glyphed bloodthirst, your downtime starts to become very, very short.

Prior to 40... the arms tree kind of sucks until you get to MS, where fury provides strong passive bonuses. Even just 2h'ing as fury, you're probably better off.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Jasari » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:10 am

I think the crusader enchant with help quite a bit with down time at low levels. I guess both arms and fury are pretty dismal until the 31 point talents, that seems to be the case for a lot of classes.
Jasari

Postby majiben » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:14 am

If you have a main that can slupply you with low lvl JC mats then it can provide a nice passive healing item. Herbalism will also help heal.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:58 am

I leveled Prot, just like my paladin. Glyph of Revenge is crazy op. Fury would probably work just as well, if not better, especially with all the +hit gear coming in in 3.1.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Levantine » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:05 pm

Yeah, levelling a Warrior prett much sucks until you get an instant attack at level 40. :/
Levantine

Postby fafhrd » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:23 pm

Levelling as arms was absolutely horrible.

You can sorta manage now by speccing for taste for blood once you're high enough, and using overpower on the procs, but even then it's an unpleasant spec because of:

charge (woo 15 rage!)
miss (hmm)
wait 3.7 seconds
parry (crap)
wait 3.7 seconds
crit (woo rage)
mortal strike (miss)

I've only levelled one warrior, and did the 0-40 part a long time ago and the 40-70 part recently, but I'd strongly strongly recommend just going DW fury. Not only do you keep your sanity better because of the steady rage/damage flow, but you also pick up amazing levelling talents like
Blood Craze (% healing when you get crit)
Blood Thirst (% healing when you use one of your main attacks - get the +100% healing glyph for this as soon as you can)
Enrage (% damage buff that's up a lot of the time while you're soloing)
Precision and Weapon Mastery for +hit and anti-dodge

Also, since I assume you're using BoA weapons, you'll want crusader on them, and dual crusader is absolutely rigged below 60 (and pretty damn good after 60 too) because of the high proc rate leading to a lot of healing and +STR. As soon as your get Whirlwind, whirlwinding with 2 weapons into a group of mobs yields so many attacks that you almost always get at least one crusader proc off it, and by the time you can get it, it's approaching your highest damage attack anyway (once you get TG it's by far your best attack).

Basically once I had everything trained and specced (from 40ish onwards), as fury I could mow down a pack of 4-5 even levelled mobs and finish at full health and full rage, simply because of bloodcraze+bloodthirst+crusader healing, and the BoA trinket also healing whenever one of the mobs I was AoEing died (good time to intercept to another mob) - I didn't stop to eat or bandage, but stopping to skin mobs was a drag at times. Even playing a raid geared hunter through 2 expansions, I have never had less downtime than while levelling as a 40+ fury warrior, since lack of mobs/need to loot was slowing me down more often than anything else (more mobs == more rage == more aoe omg)

Note: be careful you're only pulling melee mobs though - I got overconfident and ran into groups of casters at times, and this really sucks because:

- they don't conveniently stand in WW/Cleave range to be killed
- they don't crit you, so you don't get blood crazed
- you barely mitigate any of their damage, but take 10% more since you're always in zerker

I would level as prot before I tried levelling as arms again.

Jasari wrote:Looking at the trees, arms seems to be based a lot more on weapon damage which would be good with the BoA axe enchanted with Crusader while Fury has DW talents and AP based attacks. I think once I can get TG, Fury would probably pull ahead but for leveling early, where mobs are dying in just a few GCDs, burst damage looks like the only thing that would matter.

You don't have to get the BoA axe though. You can get 1 BoA 1h sword from badges, and another BoA 1h sword from WG thingies. The burst from a 2H is pretty much non-existent any time you start a fight with 2 attacks that are missed/dodge/parrier with a 3.7 speed weapon, since you do neither white nor yellow damage while waiting to land something and get rage.
Last edited by fafhrd on Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby fafhrd » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:24 pm

Levantine wrote:Yeah, levelling a Warrior prett much sucks until you get an instant attack at level 40. :/

Eh, if the instant attack you choose to get is Mortal Strike, it still sucks, because it eats up a large time investment of rage, and still doesn't do much damage. Blood Thirst is less damage, but you get enough rage as DW fury that you don't feel the cost.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby fafhrd » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:34 pm

Jasari wrote:I think the crusader enchant with help quite a bit with down time at low levels.

Also on this note (yes, I'm on a warrior levelling craze right now, sorry for the chain posts >.>) One run through live strat on your 80 main can net you enough mats for 2 crusader enchants - you get enough orbs, and even if you're not an enchanter you probably get enough BoE blues to get someone to DE them for you for the shards.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Levantine » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:54 pm

fafhrd wrote:
Levantine wrote:Yeah, levelling a Warrior prett much sucks until you get an instant attack at level 40. :/

Eh, if the instant attack you choose to get is Mortal Strike, it still sucks, because it eats up a large time investment of rage, and still doesn't do much damage. Blood Thirst is less damage, but you get enough rage as DW fury that you don't feel the cost.

I should clarify. Leveling a warrior sucks until you get an instant attack at level 40.

(It's important to note I said nothing of any spec)
Levantine

Postby Nemuria » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:03 am

Jasari wrote:Your tag, I fixed it for you. -Baelor

Since I have more badges than I know what to do with, I've decided to buy the BoA plate shoulders and 2h axe and level a warrior for the hell of it and was looking for some advice. I assume arms is probably the best leveling tree, at least until TG.

The trees are even if you are used to play 2H. Arms give you powerful white strike. You depend less on overall gear but on your single weapon. Choose closely speed and damage range to fit your gameplay. I like to two shot thing (and it's more realist) even if it takes 7 seconds. But it can be boring.

Leveling Fury, not been convinced yet. I spent most of the time in battle stance, missing WW and the increase crit. This is attacking mob with your level+something. When ppl say leveling fury don't forget it's more fury + 2H weapon. Once I got Northrend gear dual and TG started to become interesting.

Didn't play Protection since BC. The tree has not changed a lot anyway.
Nemuria

Next

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes