Remove Advertisements

[PvE Death Knight] Frost Tanking NOW WITH GLYPHS~

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[PvE Death Knight] Frost Tanking NOW WITH GLYPHS~

Postby Levantine » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:00 am

So I was running around EJ and I read people referencing Killing Machine procs in their discussions about Frost specced tanking. I can't play on the PTR and my spec at the moment on live is working for me, so I'm a little wary of testing if it's like that there, but it was my understanding that because of Rune Strike, Killing Machine procs were rare. Admittedly, this was when it worked specifically on Auto Attack crits. I was wondering if it now worked on Rune Strikes as well / how long it had done so?

Glyph Time!

Okay, so I have no effing idea what glyphs to use in 3.1 for tanking. I'm leaning towards Obliterate, Howling Blast and Death and Decay. They're fair gutting Icy Touch damage in the patch to kill the IT spam DPS spec, which has me leaning towards a rotation that completely ignores IT and PS. I'm not really sure about whether Blood Plague is worth putting up since Plague Strike is still a rediculously weak strike compared to Oblit and Howling. With those glyphs I was leaning towards this rotation:

HB -> BS -> BS -> OB -> FS*
OB -> OB -> OB -> FS*

Working in the additional Howling Blasts when Rime procs (If they keep it proccing on Obliterate instead of IT). Floating my RP so I always have access to my Icebound and Anti-Magic, but keeping less than 100. Generally I imagine this meaning I'll only be hitting the occasional FS while keeping up the Rune Striking now that I don't have Sanctuary, but such is life.

I'd be interested in hearing some other DK tank opinions. You're a Frost tank aren't you Splug?
Last edited by Levantine on Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Levantine

Re: [PvE Death Knight] Frost Tanking

Postby Selinaria » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:19 am

I think it worked ever since they changed it over to PPM. Same thing with necrosis, you would assume necrosis would not proc from rune strikes but it does iirc.

So basically killing machine does work out to be a nice threat boost.
Selinaria was suddenly surrounded by a gang of sharks, a cracked bat as her only protection!
Selinaria

Postby Splug » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:08 am

Rune Strike functions as an autoattack as far as proc generation goes. Ghostcrawler confirmed this a few weeks ago. Therefore BCB, Necrosis, and Killing Machine all trigger off rune strikes.

It also makes for particularly large rune strikes...

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Levantine » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:01 pm

BRB speccing for Killing Machine. >_> <_< >_>

So am I allowed to be scared for my threat gen after my guild's been getting used to lolfroststrikespam?

NB: Frost Strike hit's absurdly hard. (for teh not death knights on the board, those poor lost souls)
Levantine

Re: [PvE Death Knight] Frost Tanking NOW WITH GLYPHS~

Postby Levantine » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:22 am

See OP for updated questiontime~
Levantine

Postby Splug » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:28 am

Plague strike is worth about 800 damage on the PTR, blood plague for 500 a tick is worth 3000 by the time you'd refresh it 20 seconds later. Icy touch is still about 1000 damage (with an increased crit chance). So you'd have to compare that ~4300, plus whatever extra damage you'd get on Obliterate, against the damage howling blast does. Unless you're limited by global cooldowns, I'd think it's still better to just hit IT/PS in most cases.

On live, Rune Strike often composes more of my damage than frost strike or obliterate do, and the t8x2 bonus is only going to increase that number. Any tanking build I put together includes the +10% crit chance glyph. Obliterate is still fairly critical as well, so that''s two glyphs. The third seems to be a bit of a wild card, either unbreakable armor for the mitigation, howling blast for AE threat, or icy touch for the +.5 RP / sec.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Levantine » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:48 am

Ughhhhhhhh Why am I not on the PTR. >: >:

At this point I may as well be talking out of my arse. *runs off to finish downloading the ptr client*
Levantine

Postby Nich » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:58 pm

I'm probably more inclined to go with HB as the third glyph, unless I specifically need the UA glyph.

It'll make life easier, I think, in situations where you're GCD limited and don't really have time to hit IT, PS, and then pest it around before opening up with Oblit, BS or BB.

Then again, I don't find myself having RP-shortage issues now (without BoSanct) despite spamming FS a lot, making the IT and FS glyphs less useful.
Nich

Postby Levantine » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:14 pm

Howling Blast glyph will make me even more OP at trash, as well, which I'm looking forward to. Ilara may get to tank the bosses, but I own his arse at the biggest boss of all. >:3

Glyphed HB -> BB (Which was hitting for ~750 with diseases up) -> DnD -> fap
Levantine

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes