[Holy-PvE] Holy gemming as a JC

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Holy-PvE] Holy gemming as a JC

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:14 pm

With 3.1 bringing in dual-specs, I've decided to try out Holy, something I've not done before. I've been reading round on guides and things to try and get started, and I began putting together a basic set of Holy gear from rep vendors, crafting and AH (I also plan to start picking up drops (mainly Heroics), but the opportunity hasn't come up yet).

The problem is, I really don't know how to gem this gear, particularly what I should do with my Dragon's Eyes. From what I gather, Spellpower, Intellect, and Crit are what I should concentrate on, and I've bought the recipes for those three cuts already. I just have no idea of what stats my Holy gear will need in its current state.

This is the set I currently have. (I'm missing boots and a trinket, and a few slots are pretty bad (shield, shoulders).) Does anyone have any advice as to which Dragon's Eye cuts would be best to use, where to put them, and what to fill all those other empty sockets with? (Note: I am a Blacksmith, so can socket the gloves/bracers.)
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Re: [Holy-PvE] Holy gemming as a JC

Postby Elsie » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:12 pm

Right now, full on int. Every socket pretty much.

In 3.1, I'm not sure. I believe crit is becoming a bit more relatively strong.
Elsie

Postby Gorlando » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:29 pm

I found this at the Banana Shoulders Blog. This site in general is a great resource for your offset. :)
Gorlando

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:30 pm

I've seen the guide, but it doesn't touch on JC gems. What it does say is to pick stats to focus on based on needs, I guess my problem is I don't really know what I need at this stage, because I'm new to the spec. Should I use my three gems to stack one stat (and which one? is Int really that important?), or gain a more balanced benefit?

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Sharlos » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:01 pm

Int is the best stat you can stack, it's our best mana regen stat, increasing the effect of replenishment and divine plea, the longer your mana lasts the longer you can spam holy light. Except for metagem/(int)socket bonus requirements, you want to put int everywhere.
I hate signatures, but i love irony
Sharlos

Postby Chunes » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:19 pm

Luckily as a JC there is no need to worry about using non-int yellow gems to fulfill the meta requirement. 3 intellect dragon's eyes and you're set.

The advice my close holydin friend (Xavior of Chromaggus) gave me was to use dragon's eyes thus:

1) Use them to satisfy any non-yellow socket bonus which grants intellect
2) If you have no socket bonuses worth getting via dragon's eye prismatic bonuses, put them in your best pieces of gear so you don’t have to cut dragon’s eyes as often.

The rationale is that currently, int is superior to every other stat for a holydin, so gem to maximize it. I currently have 1 piece of gear which rewards intellect as a bonus to a non-yellow socket. I’ll toss a dragon’s eye in that slot. Everything else gem up with the blue quality int gems regardless of socket color.

With the arrival of patch 3.1 I am not sure if this will be the way to go, some more research on my part is needed before I’ll comment on the state of holy gemming then.
Chunes

Postby sherck » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:49 am

I am not positive I have seen anything in the 3.1 patch notes that would indicate a change in the "Gem for Intellect" approach.

Illumination is unchanged...

Replenishment is unchanged...

Divine Plea is unchanged...

You could actually say that the IoL change helps the Intellect argument because another 20% crit chance on your next Holy Light following an IoL proc greatly increases the chance for a HL crit and thus a mana refund via Illumination... ( I think the change sucks when compared to it's current form in every way EXCEPT for mana regen.)

The changes to mana regen outside the 5SR really do not effect Healadins...

What am I missing?

Gem for Intellect until you hit 26k mana raid buffed and then start switching to Int/SP gems. With smart use of Divine Plea, Arcane Torrent and getting Replenishment, you should not have mana issues for current content.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby theothersteve7 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:52 am

I get it. Int (and mana regen) is to holy as Stam is to tanks, and Spellpower can be equated to avoidance. In that you need enough mana and mana regen to survive (or in this case, last through) the encounter, and after that you add spellpower to make the encounter easier.

Which isn't to say that you don't need a certain degree of spellpower to do an encounter, much as you need a certain amount of avoidance to realistically pull it off.

That's helpful, thanks.
Moo.
theothersteve7

Postby Elsie » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:05 am

I am not positive I have seen anything in the 3.1 patch notes that would indicate a change in the "Gem for Intellect" approach.

Nothing really has, but Divine Plea isn't used as much since the -50% healing done nerf. The large mana pool was significant in retaining a larger amount of Spiritual Attunement returns.

e.g., someone with 20k mana pool would get effectively 6k less mana return than with a 26k mana pool on a boss such as Sapphiron or Kel'thuzad.
Elsie

Postby Macktruck » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:18 am

As a JC, pick up the Sapphire Owl and put x2 16 intel gems in there. Blue sockets I know, but it really doesn't matter. In my holy gear, I have absolutely 0 mp5 gear. It's 657 crit, 565 haste, 2k SP, and 21.5k unbuffed mana. When I spec holy, I can't remember a time where I ever ran out of mana in a raid. Put 27 intel gems in your blue sockets.

The only thing you can do with a blue socket is:

SP/Stam
SP/MP5
Int/Stam
Int/mp5

Gemming for 3 mp5 is pretty piddly, and 16 or 27 intel is much better in these cases. As far as red and yellow slots go, it's your personal preference if you want more crit, int, haste, or sp or combinations of both.

Int is by far your best stat, but you do need a healthy amount of crit. I run with a lil over 37% holy crit unbuffed. This excludes the bonuses of FoL, HL, and HS.
Macktruck

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:34 pm

Thanks for all the advice. Respecced Holy on live today to see what my stats are like in the gear I've gathered, I've got 16k mana, 1400 spellpower, 20% spell crit (base). This is with only 2 Dragon's Eyes, one trinket, no Holy boots, no neck or second ring (need to save up some mats), and some other gems and enchants missing. Maybe a bit low, but it's a good start I think.
Next step will have to be getting some healing experience...

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby majiben » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:52 pm

If you have ret boots their crit is better than nothing.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby sherck » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:40 am

KysenMurrin wrote:Thanks for all the advice. Respecced Holy on live today to see what my stats are like in the gear I've gathered, I've got 16k mana, 1400 spellpower, 20% spell crit (base). This is with only 2 Dragon's Eyes, one trinket, no Holy boots, no neck or second ring (need to save up some mats), and some other gems and enchants missing. Maybe a bit low, but it's a good start I think.
Next step will have to be getting some healing experience...

You can usually pick up a Dragon Prow Amulet off the AH for about 30-50 gold on my server. Yeah, it has Spirit on it but the Stam/Int/SP numbers will server you well until you can get the 25 Emblem of Heroism neck piece. As an alternative, if you have not done the Icecrown quest "The Admiral Revealed" yet, you can get the Amulet of the Crusade as a solid pre-raid healing neck as well.

Best pre-raid ring (Ring of Temerity) is for the first Occulus quest (The Struggle Presists) where you just have to go defeat the first boss...not ride on dragonback.

And a solid set of boots (Slippers of the Mojo Dojo) can come from the Gundrak quest "One of a Kind."

Those 3 upgrades will give you + 124 Intellect, + 151 Spell Power and + 67 Crit (as well as 107 Stam and 43 Spirit) which will help your healing kit quite a bit at your level of gear.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:12 am

Unfortunately already cleared those quests, so for boots I'll probably just grab the first half-decent drop I can find. I'm going to be crafting the Titanium neck and ring, so no worries there, just need to save up the Dragon's Eyes.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby amh » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:34 pm

If you´re comfortable with wearing cloth, these aren´t half bad.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes