Remove Advertisements

[Ret-PvE] considering going ret for mainspec. help?

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: considering going ret for mainspec. help?

Postby Fedaykin98 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:27 pm

1) Your loot system is terrible, and it's the same as my guild's loot system, so I feel your pain.

2) Your plan sounds workable to me, especially because you have fewer, more consistent tanks and more, less consistent plate dps.

I went Ret a couple months ago because we had tons of tanks and I wanted out of that rat race. Now I seem to be our top physical DPSer, and I've picked up a ton of awesome Prot loot offspec.
Fedaykin98

Postby Andox » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:15 pm

Zironic wrote:Due to the fickle nature of lady luck I think you'll find that most people end up at 90% BiS and keep waiting for those one or two items that complete their set, the point where you're "done" with your main set and focus exclusively on offset almost never happens.

Tell me about it. For months we've farmed Naxx for Maexxna's belt, never dropped, the bracers from Instructor didn't drop. Now, for three weeks ago we got a belt from Maexxna, out MT got it since he had 100 % attendance and we use an officer loot system. We thought that the planets aligned. Next week it dropped again :shock: Our other Warrior got it, he got better attendance that I do. This week it dropped again :shock: ^2 and I got it. Talk about luck. Now this belt will drop until we stop doing Naxxramas.

Same thing about 3D. We always get the bracers and ring, nothing else. Bracers and ring, bracers and ring.
Andox

Postby Kelaan » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:56 pm

We get 1-2 Heritages every week. I wish we could turn them in to an NPC for something else. ;)
Kelaan

Re: [Ret-PvE] considering going ret for mainspec. help?

Postby thorn » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:59 pm

why was this moved to off-spec forums? it has nothing to do with offspec... or retribution spec. it's about getting gear and proper loot distribution...

i'm not going to get any advice here... :|
thorn
Maintankadonor

Postby Elsie » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:18 pm

I finished my prot set faster as ret than as prot.

Imo, if your guild wants to use a retarded roll system like that, go ret when you want ret gear.
Elsie

Postby Fedaykin98 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:32 am

thorn wrote:why was this moved to off-spec forums? it has nothing to do with offspec... or retribution spec. it's about getting gear and proper loot distribution...

i'm not going to get any advice here... :|

You've gotten plenty of advice, and the name of the topic certainly sounds like it belongs here. Either take the advice or don't, but it's there.
Fedaykin98

Postby Threatco » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:10 pm

I am in the same boat.

I am almost full best in slot with most sidegrade options as tank. And depsite many geared tanks, there are not that many skilled tanks. So I am often needed to tank.

I am almost as geared in holy. Often I have to go holy.

But those spec have so few upgrades left that I likely won't see one before ulduar. I want to raid, I want it to succeed, but I also want to be able to improve my gear.

And my ret gear set is the one that still needs upgrades.

I can see the other side of mainspec > off spec.

But here is how I see it. I'll spec ret to get my ret loot. And I'll be one of the best players there still. But if the raid NEEDS me to go prot holy I would expect to be allowed to roll on ret gear, based on the fact that I am going to be passing all the holy/prot gear that I all ready have.
Guild Leader of <Oblivion> on Arthas (PvP) US.
Glory of the Icecrown Raider 10 man 03/18/10
Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10 man 08/17/09.
Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Threatco

Postby Sagedin » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:13 pm

I think the best change in your looting system is to add two additional rules:

1. New recruits (trials) have a two week lock out on gear (unless no one wants it)
2. If your attendance is below 75% (or another reasonable number for your guild) you also get locked out on gear (unless no one wants it)

This has the benefit you shouldn't be gearing up main-spec characters every new raid, leaving more oppurtunity to build up an offspec set.
Sagedin

Postby Nich » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:10 pm

While using a DKP (time-based in, open bidding out) system with a limit on max bid depending on your attendance % (which helps with some of the issues but not all of them), we've recently started making sure trials only have off-spec priority on loot - so they can't take rare pieces over people that still need it in the raid, but can easily clean up on stuff that'd get DE'd anyway.

I guess the thing to remember, tho', is that some people can't actually turn up to every raid, every week. Or maybe there are so many melee DPS that they get rotated through a roster of sorts. If you're taking gear that they need as major upgrades, then there's less incentive for them to turn up at all; you have less incentive, too, but you at least get into the raids and have something to do.
Nich

Previous

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes