Remove Advertisements

[RET PvE-PvP] Spec question

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[RET PvE-PvP] Spec question

Postby Blotterr » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:14 pm

Hey Maintankadins!

I'm planning on speccing Ret for my dual spec, as I have acquired quite a bit of epic ret gear and I was wanting to make a spec that dabbled both in PvP and PvE (the new 3.1 talent tree makes this surprisingly easy to do.) and have come up with the following spec:

http://ptr.wowhead.com/?talent=sZVG0VbZVf0xbIuhdIfsu

This leaves 2 points to go to either EfaE, Vindication, or Divine Purpose. I was hoping someone more experience with swinging two handers could help me out.

NOTE: I will most likely not be doing serious arena, and I am my guilds MT, so most of my time in ret will be spent in BGs, WG, and some casual arena with guildie friends.

Thanks alot and I hope to contribute to these forums in the future!
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Akama&n=Blotterr
Blotterr

Re: [RET PvE-PvP] Spec question

Postby Robbert » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:19 am

My opinion on the options remaining...

Divine Purpose > Vindication > Eye for an Eye

It would actually be a very close call for me between Divine Purpose and Vindication, but I just can't see myself passing on being able to get out of a stun while saving both my bubble and trinket (or in my case human racial). It may also depend on if you're generally hitting BGs solo or with a steady group...if you've got reliable support around you then Vindication may be the better option.

Either way, Eye for an Eye is the weakest of the three imo. It's not in any way a controlled ability and in pvp a ret pally is all about setting up controlled bursts. Divine Purpose is another tool to keep that burst from being totally interrupted, while Vindication effectively adds to your burst potential.

If you're looking to pvp more as ret than pve, then you can also drop 2 points from Righteous Vengeance, allowing you to pick up both Divine Purpose and Vindication. Righteous Vengeance adds little to the burst potential of a ret pally, while keeping 1 point will apply a dot that can break stealth after a vanish/shadowmeld or eat up a GCD on a cleanse.

I hadn't looked at 3.1 Ret specs yet, but this spec really gives me hope for a single Ret build that's competitive dps in a pve environment and competitive in an arena pvp environment at the same time.
Robbert

Re: [RET PvE-PvP] Spec question

Postby Blotterr » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:31 pm

Yeah I was considering dropping 2 points out of either Righteous Vengeance or 2H wep specialization to pick up both vindication and divine purpose. IMO, 2 points out of 2H wep spec is prolly not going to affect your deeps as much as losing RV. But only testing will truly tell.
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Akama&n=Blotterr
Blotterr

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes