[RET] What are other Rets doing with the other 15 points

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[RET] What are other Rets doing with the other 15 points

Postby Kaacahk » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:39 pm

So as far as I can tell this is the baseline ret talent DPS Build

http://ptr.wowhead.com/?talent=sZVZVfbx0IuhdIssu

What are you other Rets doing with the other 15 talent points.

Is anyone else feeling meh about what to do with the rest. There is a significant lack of anything for Ret in any of the other trees.

Honestly I might as well use the points to try and increase my personal surviability at this point which means going into the Prot tree.

{edit-Posted the wrong test Build} http://ptr.wowhead.com/?talent=sZE00VcZVfbxbIuhdIssu

Honestly I hope blizz gives Ret something worth delving into the other tree's, heck opening up Seal of the Pure would be a step in the right direction.
Kaacahk - Northrend Travel Agency - Doomhammer
My Armoury Link
Kaacahk

Re: [RET] What are other Rets doing with the other 15 points

Postby Lore » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:57 pm

Imp Devo Aura seems like a waste unless you have multiple Rets and no Prot pally.

I'll probably do something like this: http://ptr.wowhead.com/?talent=sZE0zhZVfbtbIuGdIfsu
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Baelor » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:09 pm

0/5/54
That's your core build.

0/13/58
0/17/54
12/5/54
11/5/55
Those are all builds I'm considering. It changes day to day. Right now I'm leaning toward the first one, 0/13/58.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Elsie » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:07 pm

I'm raiding either spec'd to divine intellect or pvp spec without haste. I raid with a boomkin and another ret paladin, so...
Elsie

Postby Lore » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:45 am

I don't get why Rets skip Seal of Command, it's handy to have and it's not like there's anything particularly fascinating you can get with that 1 talent point.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Waxxiemann » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:48 am

I agree, I use command quite frequently. Depending on the instance/raid, I'll sometimes take command over blood.
Waxxiemann

Postby Baelor » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:53 am

Lore wrote:I don't get why Rets skip Seal of Command, it's handy to have and it's not like there's anything particularly fascinating you can get with that 1 talent point.

I hate having half-filled multi-point talents. I'm OCD like that. So, in order to fill out Guardian's Favor in the 0/13/58 option, I sacrificed SoComm. I'll likely end up going another route that involves SoComm.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Fedaykin98 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:30 am

About the only time I use SoComm is right before Gluth pops a Decimate. I've killed myself with Blood/Martyr there a couple times. :oops:
Fedaykin98

Postby Elsie » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:08 am

Lore wrote:I don't get why Rets skip Seal of Command, it's handy to have and it's not like there's anything particularly fascinating you can get with that 1 talent point.

Because swapping to Seal of Command isn't much different from swapping to SoR or SoV without the SoC glyph, and considering you're low on HP you're probably better off just not attacking and healing yourself.

On gluth I head to the back to help with adds with ~5s left on Decimate.
Elsie

Postby Lore » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:45 am

But why not take it? What are you picking up with that 1 point that's better?
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Gelle » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:52 am

I've been toying with the calculator, I'm leaning towards http://ptr.wowhead.com/?talent=sxobZVhZVfbtbIuhdIfsu

my thoughts are that a 30% reduction in time feared, stunned, or disoriented cant be bad...right?
Gelle

Postby honorshammer » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:05 am

honorshammer

Postby Elsie » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:47 am

Honorshammer wrote:I was looking at http://ptr.wowhead.com/?talent=sZVGzhZVfMtbIuGdIfsu

It isn't bad, but Aura Mastery and Divine Intellect are more beneficial than Divine Sacrifice (barring unique fights).

I wouldn't underestimate Aura Mastery with retribution aura folded into the 3% crit talent. My ret aura, as it stands, hits for somewhere between 200-250. This will be 300-375 in 3.1, and aura mastery makes it 600-750 for 10 seconds. Against a duel wield boss that's a small chunk of threat for your tank (and loldeath for any duel wielder in pvp). Or it's -16% dmg taken for your taken in a resistance fight every 2min instead of -30% every 5min (which, frankly, we can do anyway with Hand of Sacrifice).
But why not take it? What are you picking up with that 1 point that's better?

I would take 1/2 vindication before 1/1 Seal of Command. It still works on adds in boss fights (such as Sartharion). I assume Vindication will still work on encounters such as Freya. It could actually be a substantial -hp/dmg% depending on how the mobs are created. Alternatively, I'd throw points into Divinity to buff JoL.

If you have another ret paladin or boomkin for the 3% haste, it's an easy talent to drop for Aura Mastery, Vindication, and Divinity. You can even get Seals of the Pure this way and SoR/SoV will probably perform just as well. If you don't have another haste buffer, you could simply drop vindication and/or divinity. Or you could drop Aura Mastery for Divinity / Vindication / Divine Sacrifice.

With another ret/boomkin:
http://ptr.wowhead.com/?talent=sVVzZiZVfMxbIuGdIbsu Aura Mastery, 2/2 Vindication, 2/5 Divinity
-Can pick up Improved Might instead of Divinity for 5/10 Mans.

Without:
http://ptr.wowhead.com/?talent=sVVzZVZVfzxbIuGdIfsu 1/2 vindication, swift retribution
http://ptr.wowhead.com/?talent=sZE0zMZVfrxbIuGdIfsu 2/5 toughness
-Could take SoC here. I ran out of places to care to put points.
Elsie

Postby honorshammer » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:06 am

Elsie wrote:
Honorshammer wrote:I was looking at http://ptr.wowhead.com/?talent=sZVGzhZVfMtbIuGdIfsu

It isn't bad, but Aura Mastery and Divine Intellect are more beneficial than Divine Sacrifice (barring unique fights).

I wouldn't underestimate Aura Mastery with retribution aura folded into the 3% crit talent. My ret aura, as it stands, hits for somewhere between 200-250. This will be 300-375 in 3.1, and aura mastery makes it 600-750 for 10 seconds. Against a duel wield boss that's a small chunk of threat for your tank (and loldeath for any duel wielder in pvp). Or it's -16% dmg taken for your taken in a resistance fight every 2min instead of -30% every 5min (which, frankly, we can do anyway with Hand of Sacrifice).

I went for the utility in the Protection tree because I forsee being Ret when I'm Soloing (gogo PVP server), PVPing and when it's not my 'turn' to tank (we basically rotate through our tanks unless the fight really favors one like Loatheb).

Whatever DPS I contribute when I'm not tanking will be more than I do as Prot, and I'll have the PVP goodies for the other times I need Ret.
honorshammer

Postby Elsie » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Honorshammer wrote:
Elsie wrote:

I went for the utility in the Protection tree because I forsee being Ret when I'm Soloing (gogo PVP server), PVPing and when it's not my 'turn' to tank (we basically rotate through our tanks unless the fight really favors one like Loatheb).

Whatever DPS I contribute when I'm not tanking will be more than I do as Prot, and I'll have the PVP goodies for the other times I need Ret.

Then I suggest you either spec pvp ret or pve ret. Anywhere between is subpar at both.
Elsie

Next

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes