[PVE] Shockadin Viability in 3.1?

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[PVE] Shockadin Viability in 3.1?

Postby Shoju » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:14 am

So, I have been looking at things to do in 3.1 if Ret stays as blech as it currently is sitting. My question is:

DO you think that a Shockadin could work? I've been working up a couple of specs to see if it could work, and the first one was:

This one 45/0/26

It get's a lot of the stuff from holy to up crit rate, up seal and judgement damage, and glyphs to use Righteousness. I opted to put the last two points in Ret Aura + 1pt in vengeance as I thought it would be better than the Ranged judgements + hit. They could easily be swapped.

The other spec is: 31/0/40

This spec drops The spell power (which REALLY hurts) for more crit on judgements. I don't think that this spec is viable at all, but figured I would get some ideas.

Anyone else think that a shockadin could work? Or am I just out there in left field on this one.
Shoju

Re: [PVE] Shockadin Viability in 3.1?

Postby tinalt » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:26 am

Honestly I'm trying my best to be patient and waiting to reserve judgement on the viability of Ret until things hit live. I know we could use some buffs, but I have to think that a lot of the doom and gloom is being blown out of proportion. It usually is.

I've never tried a shockadin spec, but I get the feeling you'd lose most of the utility in the Ret tree to go deep enough in holy for shockadin to work. If you plan on being a healbot/DPS then I could understand it, but if you're going for straight DPS i don't think it would compare with Ret.

Also, wouldn't you have to re-gear entirely to go shockadin? I thought they stacked spellpower gear.

Take this with a huge grain of salt though, like I said, I have no experience with making/gearing a shockadin and it could be that I'm the one way off in left field for doubting them.
tinalt
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:22 am

Tinalt wrote:Honestly I'm trying my best to be patient and waiting to reserve judgement on the viability of Ret until things hit live. I know we could use some buffs, but I have to think that a lot of the doom and gloom is being blown out of proportion. It usually is.

I've never tried a shockadin spec, but I get the feeling you'd lose most of the utility in the Ret tree to go deep enough in holy for shockadin to work. If you plan on being a healbot/DPS then I could understand it, but if you're going for straight DPS i don't think it would compare with Ret.

Also, wouldn't you have to re-gear entirely to go shockadin? I thought they stacked spellpower gear.

Take this with a huge grain of salt though, like I said, I have no experience with making/gearing a shockadin and it could be that I'm the one way off in left field for doubting them.

I'm trying hard not to be doom and gloom about the whole thing, but the devs aren't showing me much reason to not be. I've been looking over WWS and ret is in some seriously sad shape in 10 man content right now. I don't care about the viability of 25 man content, as thats not what my guild does. We are a 10 man guild.

I have a full healing set that puts me over 2k spellpower unbuffed. It's one of the beauties of 10 man content. I have a full on heal set that I could heal Naxx in, just from raiding. Once the healers get the gear, off spec can get it in my guild for free. We encourage Dual Specs, Re-specs if you can afford it, etc... We like raiding with the people, and roles are done in a way to ensure that you get to raid.

If Ret goes live as is, it's going to be rough for the 10 man crews.
Shoju

Postby EvilNuff » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:33 am

Shoju wrote:...Anyone else think that a shockadin could work? Or am I just out there in left field on this one.

Personally I have never found "shockadin" to be a viable spec at any point in time. I see no reason for that to change in 3.1 do you?
EvilNuff

Postby Elsie » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:17 am

EvilNuff wrote:
Shoju wrote:...Anyone else think that a shockadin could work? Or am I just out there in left field on this one.

Personally I have never found "shockadin" to be a viable spec at any point in time. I see no reason for that to change in 3.1 do you?

It never has been a viable pve dps spec. Shockadin, right now, is basically the "holy" spec of choice. Shockadin as a concept died when they switched to spell power.
Elsie

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes