[Ret-PvE] Discussion on Ret gear stats.

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Ret-PvE] Discussion on Ret gear stats.

Postby Threatco » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:46 pm

I find ret gearing the hardest of all my specs.

I'm always cringing when I am forced to take agility/AP items instead of the traditional Str/Crit items.

But I hear murmers of alot of Ret taking mail and even somtimes leather peices. But these all have ap/agility on them, right?

When I finished my Maly 10 quest I got the DPS neck. Agil/AP/Armor pen.

But it still seemed lightyears ahead of the emblem of heroism neck.

Or was I wrong?

Am I wrong that a lot the plate strength gear looks realy bad compared to the AP/agil gear?

I am in a guild that is now basicly farming naxx 25 to get a few best in slot peices. 70% of the gear is getting DEd. I would pick up all those AP items if I knew it was an upgrade. I often have to pass on the best stuff since I am "more" tank/holy. So these middle items are of a concern to me.

Any thoughts?

Any good gear guide out there for the progressing raiders? I can find best in slot. And I can find pre raid. But there seems to be a hole in the middle.

It seems melee dps have far more options to consider then tanks or holy pals. So more options on a list seems all the more important.

Whats crap. And whats great?
Guild Leader of <Oblivion> on Arthas (PvP) US.
Glory of the Icecrown Raider 10 man 03/18/10
Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10 man 08/17/09.
Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Threatco

Postby arilink » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:24 am

Did you check out ...
http://maxdps.com/paladin/retribution.php ?

Can't say if the list and formulas are still up-to-date as I didn't compare it to EJ or anything but I found it quite handy in terms of to greed or not to.
At least BiS compares to http://www.retpaladin.com/warcraft/best ... t-gearset/
Lailani - Paladin
Vixi - Deathknight
arilink

Postby Levantine » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:12 am

maxdps is awful.

The retpaladin module in Rawr is one of the better ones.

Also, agility is about on par with crit rating for Paladins.
Levantine

Postby guillex » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:36 am

Some general info here: http://www.retpaladin.com/warcraft/foru ... f=8&t=1476

As for a gear list from the same site; I can't find one. There's a BiS from Heroics list, but nothing for the progressing raider. They're very reliant on Rawr for their gear listing, and mention it, oh ... every other post, pretty much.

Str>All? : http://www.retpaladin.com/warcraft/foru ... f=8&t=1803
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Re: [Ret-PvE] Discussion on Ret gear stats.

Postby Sober » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:32 pm

From playing ret, what I've noticed:

Rawr ret module is probably the best even though it's a WiP. They also list leather/mail pieces as BIS, but then again they also have epic wotlk gems in use.

STR is king, only problem is necks and cloaks, necks to begin with are agi/ap/ArPen/etc while there is only one STR cloak which is only beat by KT's cloak, maybe some other pieces.

Leather and Mail are doable, but no STR means you dont get the oodles of AP from str conversions, just from equip bonuses on the item.

Mail has more stats, so whatever is on it is taxed less, plus mail has INT, for mana, but I can really only think of one fight (Patch) where you might need extra mana besides raid buffs. Otherwise, if grabbing mail/leather, go for stuff with crit, and avoid poop stats like haste and armor pen.
Sober

Postby Robbo » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:02 pm

I personally stick to plate to make gear decisions easier. When you're comparing equal quality plate to leather, you're talking about differences of ~10dps (for the most part). Not game breaking imo.
Also, like the OP, I don't wanna do the maths to figure it out. ><
Robbo
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:57 pm

Never shy away from Mail or Leather if it's an upgrade. Just look at Jorach's Crocolisk Skin Belt as compared to the other badge belts. It's not even a competition.

Yes, we don't get the awesome conversion from STR to AP, but I will wear whatever I have that works. I currently only have the belt as a non plate piece, and I have the 10 man Anub neck, and the JC rings. (CURSE THE RNG of drops).
Shoju

Postby honorshammer » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:13 pm

Sober wrote:From playing ret, what I've noticed:
Rawr ret module is probably the best even though it's a WiP.

Levantine wrote:The retpaladin module in Rawr is one of the better ones.

I put my Ret gear (Titansteel Hat, 4pc T7, Maly 10 Neck, etc) into Rawr and it's telling me Demise would be higher DPS than Titansteel Destoryer. But Titansteel has more STR and Hit. So it would seem to my brain that Titansteel should be better, What am I missing?

http://www.wowhead.com/?compare=41257;39245
honorshammer

Postby Elsie » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:19 pm

You're missing weapon damage. Demise is slower, so it will hit harder on special attacks based off weapon damage.

Also you could be hit capped without the titansteel destroyer.
Elsie

Postby majiben » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:22 pm

Swing does make a difference, demise does also have a lot of haste.

.1 slower swing speed, 89 haste versus 9 hit and 34 str.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Levantine » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:17 pm

I'm also going to guess that is wasn't very much better than the titansteel. Rawr puts Demise and Titansteel within 1 dps of each other. o.O
Levantine

Postby guillex » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:24 pm

Levantine wrote:I'm also going to guess that is wasn't very much better than the titansteel. Rawr puts Demise and Titansteel within 1 dps of each other. o.O

Eh.

Think it's more a question of, are you hit capped or no? Like, I could stand to lose some hit, I'm well over cap by a % and a bit.

But, I'd choose Demise over the Destroyer because of the higher top-end damage, and .1 slower speed. Just me, though.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Levantine » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:52 am

Guillex wrote:
Levantine wrote:I'm also going to guess that is wasn't very much better than the titansteel. Rawr puts Demise and Titansteel within 1 dps of each other. o.O

Eh.

Think it's more a question of, are you hit capped or no? Like, I could stand to lose some hit, I'm well over cap by a % and a bit.

But, I'd choose Demise over the Destroyer because of the higher top-end damage, and .1 slower speed. Just me, though.

It's worth noting that I'm a cheating DK that spams the living fuck out of Obliterate and Frost Strike, so the speed is a factor for me too.
Levantine

Postby guillex » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:32 am

Levantine wrote:
Guillex wrote:

Eh.

It's worth noting that I'm a cheating DK that spams the living fuck out of Obliterate and Frost Strike, so the speed is a factor for me too.

Oh.
>.>
<.<

Carry on!
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Fedaykin98 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:39 am

MaxDPS.com to get into the zone. Rawr for fine tuning and finding BiS.

Since the OP is specifically not asking about BiS, I think MaxDPS is fine. It's not like it lists The Stoppable Force as the 3rd best weapon for us or anything. It's fine for getting a rough idea.

That said, I stopped bothering with it once I got decently geared, and basically used Rawr to figure the BiS stuff so that I would ONLY roll on that. If you aren't dying for BiS, you might make a list of the top 2-3 pieces for each slot or something, and roll on those.
Fedaykin98

Next

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes