Remove Advertisements

[Hunter PVE] Survival Pet

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Hunter PVE] Survival Pet

Postby honorshammer » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:59 pm

I know some of you guys play Hunters. I finally tried out Survival after being Beast Master for most of my alts life.

And mikey likes it. It fits my 'tank' mentality much better.

That said I'm totally confused on a pet.

For 3.1 (cause he won't be 80 until then) what pet should I have for Heroics and 10mans?

Wind Serpent (supposed to be the highest DPS Cunning pet and brings Roar of Recovery for mana)

Cat/Raptor (highest non exotic ferocity pet?)

What ever I want because a pet doesn't matter that much to Survival?
Last edited by honorshammer on Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
honorshammer

Postby uke » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:31 pm

What would BRK do?
Pally's been relegated to AH duties.

RAWR'ing it up as a bear now, with a side of boomkin.
uke

Postby Baelor » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:36 pm

uke wrote:What would BRK do?

He'd spec BM and sick Loq on something.

My uninformed recommendation is raptors.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Dorvan » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:45 pm

Obligatory xkcd

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Re: [Hunter PVE] Survival Pet

Postby Flex » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:45 pm

Honorshammer wrote:What ever I want because a pet doesn't matter that much to Survival?

Winner.

http://wowwebstats.com/lkazm2mtmckhq?s= ... &a=x534e9f

Is a breakdown of the outgoing DPS of a guildie survival hunter DPS. Pet damage is inflated 5% by 2 piece Tier 7.
Flex

Postby honorshammer » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:09 am

Flex wrote:
Honorshammer wrote:What ever I want because a pet doesn't matter that much to Survival?

Winner.

http://wowwebstats.com/lkazm2mtmckhq?s= ... &a=x534e9f

Is a breakdown of the outgoing DPS of a guildie survival hunter DPS. Pet damage is inflated 5% by 2 piece Tier 7.

Thanks for finding that for me.
honorshammer

Postby Kelaan » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:08 am

Honorshammer wrote:For 3.1 (cause he won't be 80 until then) what pet should I have for Heroics and 10mans?

While I didn't notice a thread discussing this issue specifically, TKA Something is likely the best forum to ask this question at:

http://forums.tkasomething.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24

I consider its elders to be as knowledgeable about hunters as the ones here are about tanking. (Note that I don't count myself among those elders, despite absurd post counts -- I've lurked there since I rolled my paladin.)

I tend to agree that your pet choice doesn't seem to matter much, as long as you have a Ferocity pet. There will always be a "best in slot" pet, but the differences between it and another ferocity pet are likely less than 100 dps, and might be less than 50 dps. (exception: Spirit beasts. Apparently, their moonfire uses spell hit, or something, or is resistable, or some crap like that -- unless it was fixed since I last read that, which is possible.) The "Talents" subforum might be the good place to ask, of the pets subforum doesn't give you what you need.

Moderation there is not as active as here, so you're less likely to see threads moved into "proper" subforums, so someone may have posted in the general forums.
Kelaan

Postby honorshammer » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:55 pm

Thanks for the tip on TKA. It seems the Hunter community still in the 'figuring it out' mode. I'll stick with Aslan, my Savanah Prowler til I'm 80 and it's sorted out.
honorshammer

Postby Kelaan » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:33 pm

I'm of the general opinion that it's very hard to go wrong with a cat. ;) Then again, my cat was my raiding pet all through TBC, since I didn't want to use a bugged scorpid, and didn't have a wind serpent.

There's some people using tanking pets on Sartharion+3D, except the pet ability that they were using that for (essentially an intervene on the tank, iirc) is being changed to be master-only, I believe. Kinda sad, I think, but whatever.

Happy to link TKA; it's where I spent most of my formative WoW time, hehe, before I discovered tanking.
Kelaan

Postby fafhrd » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:20 am

Unless they nerf JoW in some way, you really don't need to worry about mana as a survival hunter, just as an MM hunter - with JoW, 2 replenishments and good raidbuffed mana, you can't run out of mana as survival. This pretty much kills any reason to ever bring a cunning pet to anything, especially since they don't have the talents ferocity/tenacity pets have to regain happiness quickly during fights if they get killed (and have fairly useless abilities anyway).

For 3.1, wolves are looking like they're making a comeback - they're ferocity so can get Call of the Wild (10% ap to the hunter and pet on 5minute cooldown), and have a high uptime +AP to the hunter buff, along with the usual ferocity goodies.

Pre 3.1, it's usually cats or raptors for DPS. Raptors are theoretically slightly higher for most people, however their DPS is dependent on getting crits on Savage Rend, for a 10% pet damage buff - however since SR is on a 1 minute cooldown, it's a fair gamble whether you'll get it to crit even once on a 2-3 minute fight - cat's are very close in DPS without depending on critting a 1 minute cooldown ability, so for short fights at least a lot of people prefer them.

If you don't have any minor armor debuffs in the raid, you could go for a wasp though.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Levantine » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:00 pm

It's nice to see that with MM and Surv pet choice isn't so important as long as they're ferocity. :D I wuv my moth already, and I'm only at level 14. I am curious as to how they stack up against other pets, Serenity Dust doesn't seem TOO bad.
Levantine

Postby fafhrd » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:22 pm

15s buff on a 1 minute cooldown that only affects the pet and does no direct damage seems pretty bad compared to cat/wolf/raptor specials :S

It's only about a 30 dps loss compared to cats (1060 dps vs 1031 dps) though on the spreadsheet (even less if you don't have a feral druid) so you can definitely stick to her (him?) if you want, it's just not min-max worthy.

edit:subtraction is hard
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Levantine » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:48 pm

I should note that my DK is still my main, and I'm not really all that fussed with crazy min maxing on the hunter. If I find a pretty cat, then sure, I might consider that, but as it stands, the aesthetics of a moth definitely outweigh the 30dps. :3

Sigh at all the top tier ferocity pets that don't involve me speccing lolBM being so meh looking.
Levantine

Postby Kelaan » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:57 am

Levantine wrote:the aesthetics of a moth definitely outweigh the 30dps. :3

I realize I'm a scrub for suggesting it, but I agree - 30 DPS doesn't matter. It's 1%. (and yet we gear and talent for less than that sometimes...) If you like that cat, wasp, or moth, go for it. I still have the same cat I've had since level 20. :)
Kelaan

Postby fafhrd » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:01 pm

Just think of it as giving up around 180 health or 18 TPS while tanking, I think those are about the same % losses in role metrics :) No one other than you is likely to notice unless you're already doing really badly.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes