Remove Advertisements

[Death Knight] Sarth3D --- Gearing our DK

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Death Knight] Sarth3D --- Gearing our DK

Postby Yukionna » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:03 am

Thread title tagged. You have been moderated. -Baelor

Hello =) Since I know squat about DKs I'm wondering if anyone could point me to a "wishlist" gear guide and spec guide for MTing sarth 3 on a death knight. Unholy or Blood?? frost resist gear? How much HPs buffed... How should CDs be used (any from other classes?).

Would rather not cheese it with a voidwalker and really want to get this done.

Our only feral druid is a kitty, but we do have 2 willing and 25 man geared DK tanks. ^_^

Thanks!
Yukionna

Postby guillex » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:05 am

While having something to do with Sarth3D, it doesn't really belong here.

Moving to the Gear Advice forums.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby majiben » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:40 am

Banished to the Off spec forum. Should have changed to the title to conform with this forum's guidelines but it is too late now.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby guillex » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:59 am

Majiben wrote:Banished to the Off spec forum. Should have changed to the title to conform with this forum's guidelines but it is too late now.

Sorry!
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Baelor » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:01 am

You guys done playing thread ping pong? Good!

Welcome to my domain. Bwahahaha...

Ahem.

Unholy Death Knights sport the most cooldowns to use. Bone Shield, Anti-Magic stuff, etc etc.

I'm off to work, I'll try to post more once I get there.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Elsie » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:20 am

Have him respec Warlock and throw on a lot of the crafted frost resist gear. Make sure he spams his 30% damage reduction ability.

Unholy Death Knights sport the most cooldowns to use. Bone Shield, Anti-Magic stuff, etc etc.

Blood is prefered since they have a CD every breathe. If he's not willing to go Demonology, anyway.
Elsie

Re: [Death Knight] Sarth3D --- Gearing our DK

Postby Baelor » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:22 am

Yukionna wrote:Would rather not cheese it with a voidwalker and really want to get this done.

Elsie wrote:Have him respec Warlock and throw on a lot of the crafted frost resist gear. Make sure he spams his 30% damage reduction ability.

I find your lack of consideration for the OP disturbing.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Elsie » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:43 am

Baelor wrote:
Yukionna wrote:Would rather not cheese it with a voidwalker and really want to get this done.

Elsie wrote:Have him respec Warlock and throw on a lot of the crafted frost resist gear. Make sure he spams his 30% damage reduction ability.

To be fair I did add useful information. Blood does have a damage reduction ability available every breathe. As opposed to yours here.

As far as gear, maximum EH is generally the way to go.
Last edited by Elsie on Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elsie

Postby Baelor » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:45 am

Elsie wrote:
Baelor wrote:

To be fair I did add useful information. Blood does have a damage reduction ability available every breathe.

Edited it in while I was typing! Sneaky, tricksy blood elf!

I know a lot of DK's prefer to do it unholy to make use of their powerful anti-magic stuff. I'm not terribly familiar with blood cooldowns.

Bottom line is a frost DK is probably not ideal, since they're all about reducing physical damage. The breath is fire/magic.
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Elsie » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:48 am

Bottom line is a frost DK is probably not ideal, since they're all about reducing physical damage. The breath is fire/magic.

They aren't too bad if they get Fire Resist Aura/totem, a bit of resistance gear, and stand in the lava. The lava will proc Acclimation and give him +30% resistance pretty much the whole time.

edit:
I see no edit in my previous post. Blasphemer, you are!
I'm also shocked you haven't read the whining and moaning over WotN.

Basically, Blood spec has Icebound Fortitude like everyone else. Then they have:
Rune Tap: 1min CD (basically an uber heal)
Vampiric Blood 1min CD (+15% HP and +35% healing effects)
Will of the Necropolis (straight 15% reduction to breathe)
Lichborne (3min +25% avoidance) if they want.
Last edited by Elsie on Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elsie

Postby Baelor » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:01 am

Elsie wrote:

They aren't too bad if they get Fire Resist Aura/totem, a bit of resistance gear, and stand in the lava. The lava will proc Acclimation and give him +30% resistance pretty much the whole time.

edit:
I see no edit in my previous post. Blasphemer, you are!

I'm also shocked you haven't read the whining and moaning over WotN.

Yea, the board doesn't put an "edit" footnote if you manage to ninja edit before I hit submit. So, grats, you sneaky, tricksy ninja blood elf, you successfully cheated the system. Sneaky sneak sneak.

And I don't really give a crap about death knight whining, hence why I don't read about it. The only things that concern me are changes to the paladin retribution and protection trees, and on occasion changes to the holy tree creep into my line of sight.

On topic: Sounds like you can manage with any death knight spec. Grats, you can't go wrong! As for gear, stack stamina, get 540 defense, and win.
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Elsie » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:06 am

On topic: Sounds like you can manage with any death knight spec. Grats, you can't go wrong! As for gear, stack stamina, get 540 defense, and win.

Blood is still the most OP for tanking though. WotN is a straight Get Out of Jail Free card.

WotN works every breathe and Blood Tap / Vampiric Blood make surviving any post-breathe damage a joke. I don't think Spell Deflection works on it, sadly, or else the 1*1.06*1.02*1.02*1.3*1.1 STR modifier would make it even more trivial (Str -> parry).
(not entirely sure how Vampiric Blood works, but either way it does it's amazing).

So uhh... yeah. Tricking out a death knight is a matter of pasting talents to a dart board and then, well, throwing darts. Any spec works, Blood is prefered then Unholy then Frost. All will have stupidly high HP.
Yea, the board doesn't put an "edit" footnote if you manage to ninja edit before I hit submit. So, grats, you sneaky, tricksy ninja blood elf, you successfully cheated the system. Sneaky sneak sneak.

I think you're seeing things. Perhaps you should take a break and lie down.
Elsie

Postby Baelor » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:23 am

Elsie wrote:

Is it bad when your eyes cross and then don't un-cross for a few minutes?

What about involuntary twitches in the limbs?
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Elsie » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:07 am

Baelor wrote:
Elsie wrote:

The former, probably unless you're on TV and asian.

The latter is only bad if you're gaming. Could affect your sniping or movement. I'd suggest a lower dpi to compensate.
Elsie

Postby Elsie » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:07 am

Baelor wrote:
Elsie wrote:

The former, probably unless you're on TV and asian.

The latter is only bad if you're gaming. Could affect your sniping or movement. I'd suggest a lower dpi to compensate.
Elsie

Next

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes