Remove Advertisements

[Holy PvP] How to gear to start off?

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Holy PvP] How to gear to start off?

Postby Kelaan » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:18 am

I've considered pvping as prot (as I now have quite a bit of block value gear), but am curious about healing.

Ideally, I'd have the PvP holy gear -- however, I need to PvP first to get it. (I don't really have badges spare to buy them with, except maybe one piece.) are the crafted resilience-bearing items worth it, or am I better off just wearing my PvE healing kit?
Kelaan

Postby Sharlos » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:54 pm

The crafted stuff is pretty crap, stick with your pve gear and get the savage stuff while you bg.

If you have 2set t7 make sure you keep it.
I hate signatures, but i love irony
Sharlos

Postby Kelaan » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:32 pm

ok, thanks. :) No holy t7, sadly -- all prot. ;)
Kelaan

Postby Threatco » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:42 am

Step 1: Grind heroics to get emblems to buy the the full savage set minus the head.

Step 2: Grind wintergrasp to get the boots helm and trinket.

Step 3: Grind BGs to get every possible accessory.

Step 4: Do vault every week and make sure your the only one allowed to roll on holy pvp gear.

Without stepping into arena, you will get up to about 650-700 resil.

Without that, arena will SUCK really really bad.

With that, it will still be hard as hell.

You stop feeling gimped around 900 resil, that's when you have hateful + some deadly accessories.

I find it very hard to see a non genius pvp'er get over 1700 as holy pal without this.

Having a good Shield/Weapon from PvE will go a long way.

Also, pick a viable team.

TG Warrior, DKs, Rogues are best IMO.
Guild Leader of <Oblivion> on Arthas (PvP) US.
Glory of the Icecrown Raider 10 man 03/18/10
Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10 man 08/17/09.
Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Threatco

Postby SmurfZG » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:11 am

Depends on your setup really. I run about 400-500 resilience playing with a hunter. We're around 2300 rating. If you play with a dk or warrior you might want more pvp gear, and if you play with a hunter or warlock you might want less.

If you have a 25 man healing set you should skip savage completely and try to get some deadly pieces from vault.
SmurfZG

Postby Threatco » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:38 pm

I have full 25 man healing set. My experience is over healing does no good when you can be killed during the duration of a stun. We never go OOM (hardly anyways) so all that Intel/MP5 is hardly needed.

Any arena team that see's a paladin with mana higher then HP is going to force bubble him then kill him. And I can tell you, if your new to arena, that's not the position you want to be in.

Holy paladins need 700 resil plus to have any hope in 2v2.

3v3 or 5v5 is a whole other story. A whole different spec even.
Guild Leader of <Oblivion> on Arthas (PvP) US.
Glory of the Icecrown Raider 10 man 03/18/10
Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10 man 08/17/09.
Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Threatco

Postby SmurfZG » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:31 am

No, it still depends on setup.

You don't go easily oom, but you'll need some throughput if you're healing through ms, rogue poison or aimed shot. You can use freedom to get rid of any stuns if you specced for it, a hunter or a warlock can cc the dps if they go on you. Also, they'd have the choice between your squishy hunter/warlock/rogue and a plate class with invulnerability bubble, it's unlikely they'd choose you.

If you play with a warrior or dk they take a lot less damage from ms classes, but they also have less cc. So you put on more pvp gear.
SmurfZG

Postby Elsie » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:43 am

Threatco wrote:I have full 25 man healing set. My experience is over healing does no good when you can be killed during the duration of a stun. We never go OOM (hardly anyways) so all that Intel/MP5 is hardly needed.

Any arena team that see's a paladin with mana higher then HP is going to force bubble him then kill him. And I can tell you, if your new to arena, that's not the position you want to be in.

Holy paladins need 700 resil plus to have any hope in 2v2.

3v3 or 5v5 is a whole other story. A whole different spec even.

I don't think I've ever seen a holy paladin with over 700. Most run 500-650. And no, they won't focus a holy paladin because of that. A lot of holy paladins gem int, so it's entirely possible to have huge mana pools in pvp. If you focus a healer, yeah you can force a bubble. But the DPS who you aren't pressuring are going to have a field day with your team.

Oh, and only bad players die in 1 stun.
Elsie

Postby Robbo » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:30 am

I say start with your 25 man set as well. I got to the high 1800's wearing the 45 resil bc trinket and only the offset neck. Oh and a blue weapon.
After that I got off my lazy ass and got hateful gear and offset shit + trinkets though.

I'm running with like 750 resil (2 deadly/3 hateful) right now and I can't wait to drop some of it when I get my second piece of valorous for holy.

As a side note, I've read that legs + shoulders is the best way to get the 2pc, anyone care to confirm?
Robbo
Maintankadonor

Postby SmurfZG » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:47 am

Robbo wrote:As a side note, I've read that legs + shoulders is the best way to get the 2pc, anyone care to confirm?

that's what I use at least, but mostly because I only need to put leg and shoulder enchants on one pair of items that way :p
SmurfZG

Postby Sharlos » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:04 am

Not exactly advise by where's what I have.

I am holy (deep enough into ret for divine purpose) with an afliction warlock partner. We are currently at 2059 rating.

I have t7 chest and legs i think. The rest of my gear is a combination of mostly deadly gear and some hateful peices. I have the epic PvP trinket and ther jez'te ball, thinking of changing to the battlemasters trinket.

When I first started I went with full savage gear and honour offset peices. The wintergrasp boots are far better than the honour boots though.

Also, at 2k rating I have around 500 resilience, I had 700 at one point but it wasn't very useful, me dieing wasn't usually what lost a match.

If you can I highly reccomend getting the holy t7/7.5 2 set bonus, if you can't its not a deal breaker though. I gem for entirely for Int except my epic res gem and a purple gem somewhere for by meta.

If there's anything else I could tell you just ask, but I don't think getting any higher than 600 res is going to be worthwhile in most situations. Have you settled on what partner you're going to have?
Sharlos

Postby Elsie » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:44 am

Sharlos wrote:Not exactly advise by where's what I have.

I am holy (deep enough into ret for divine purpose) with an afliction warlock partner. We are currently at 2059 rating.

I have t7 chest and legs i think. The rest of my gear is a combination of mostly deadly gear and some hateful peices. I have the epic PvP trinket and ther jez'te ball, thinking of changing to the battlemasters trinket.

When I first started I went with full savage gear and honour offset peices. The wintergrasp boots are far better than the honour boots though.

Also, at 2k rating I have around 500 resilience, I had 700 at one point but it wasn't very useful, me dieing wasn't usually what lost a match.

If you can I highly reccomend getting the holy t7/7.5 2 set bonus, if you can't its not a deal breaker though. I gem for entirely for Int except my epic res gem and a purple gem somewhere for by meta.

If there's anything else I could tell you just ask, but I don't think getting any higher than 600 res is going to be worthwhile in most situations. Have you settled on what partner you're going to have?

The battlemaster's trinket is really good. I'm in roughly the same situation for my hol set, but I gem crit, sp/crit, and the epic resilience gem.
Elsie

Postby Kelaan » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:15 am

Sharlos wrote:If there's anything else I could tell you just ask, but I don't think getting any higher than 600 res is going to be worthwhile in most situations. Have you settled on what partner you're going to have?

I haven't a clue, really. :-) I will have to ask around to see if people would be interested. May I ask what the strategy is as Paladin/Affliction? Does he have any burst or is it all about overwhelming or wearing down the opposing healer?

I don't currently have many badges from heroics, but I think I can buy 1-2 pieces of pvp gear from the badge vendor. Most of my healing gear are either healing gear from heroics (a bunch of mail/cloth, unfortunately, for some places) with some non-tier plate healing gear from Naxxramas (since it'd be DEd otherwise). I have a pvp trinket, but it's not the one with resilience -- so I'm nearly starting from square zero from the pvp gear perspective.

Someone said that "only bad players die within one stun" -- as I'm likely a poor player (when it comes to PvP), I'd like to learn how to be better at the avoiding-death thing. :)
Kelaan

Postby Sharlos » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:41 pm

For holy/affliction the lock dots everything in sight pretty much while fearing/CCing the healer enough to get the healer or dps low enough once their low the lock uses soul drain (which does like 4x damage when they are under 25% hp or something) I usually stun the healer then and use Holy Shock,Judgement to help burst.

If its double dps we usually use HoP to survive their initial burst and then finish them off.

If you go with a lock you will need to help burst enemies and apply pressure when you can.

At the moment the druid/warrior combo of season 5 is a paladin/DK.
Sharlos

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes