Remove Advertisements

Healing.... is it fun or just a necessity?

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Healing.... is it fun or just a necessity?

Postby ARogers » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:51 am

I am working on my priest and am level 42. I am rushing to 80 ASAP. However, what I'm doing at 80 is still up in the air. I would at first like to DPS, but as I think about it, I'm tempted towards holy lately. I have heard that there is a nice holy leveling spec out there.

It'd be nice to do quests then hit up instances as soon as I get the chances since healers are still rare on our servers. I've heard of people as low as 72 healing 5man regular dungeons. Is this pretty hard? I won't have ridiculous 70 gear when I get there or anything.

And is healing fun? I DPSed on my shammy and pally, but I'm willing to go holy if it's somewhat fun. I have no guild, so it'd be mostly pugs and stuff I'm running.
ARogers

Postby Zironic » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:57 am

Some people find it fun, some don't, it really is something you need to find out for yourself.

Generally you can heal non heroics in dps gear so it won't require much preparation.
Zironic

Postby xstrykr » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:02 am

Part of it depends on the healer class too.

I can't stand the thought of healing on my pally (aside from in battlegrounds) because the thought of using 2-3 heals really doesn't appeal to me.

I loved healing on my priest back in vanilla. He's been Shadow for the last year or so, and especially with the new changes, I'm really interested to jump back on the healing bike and take it for a spin.

I've healed on a shammy before, to me it felt the same as being on my priest. Haven't healed on a druid, not sure how I'd like it.
xstrykr

Re: Healing.... is it fun or just a necessity?

Postby Vioarr » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:08 am

ARogers wrote:I am working on my priest and am level 42. I am rushing to 80 ASAP. However, what I'm doing at 80 is still up in the air. I would at first like to DPS, but as I think about it, I'm tempted towards holy lately. I have heard that there is a nice holy leveling spec out there.

It'd be nice to do quests then hit up instances as soon as I get the chances since healers are still rare on our servers. I've heard of people as low as 72 healing 5man regular dungeons. Is this pretty hard? I won't have ridiculous 70 gear when I get there or anything.

And is healing fun? I DPSed on my shammy and pally, but I'm willing to go holy if it's somewhat fun. I have no guild, so it'd be mostly pugs and stuff I'm running.

Healing (on my priest) is absolutely a ton of fun, and if I ever decided to give up tanking I'd more than likely become a full time holy priest. I'd rather take a sledgehammer to my balls than ever become a holy paladin though. The thing that I've noticed the most is that a priest just has many more tools at their disposal for almost any kind of situation. PoH, CoH, PoM, Renew, BH, FH, GH, AD, MD, DP are all very useful spells, it just depends on the situation you're currently in.

And more than anything, the main thing I love about my priest is the ability to be reasonably mobile while healing.

Edit: Also, level Shadow only; while there may be some "fun" builds to level with on your priest, Shadow is by far supreme.
Vioarr
Maintankadonor

Postby ARogers » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:12 am

Vioarr wrote:
ARogers wrote:I am working on my priest and am level 42. I am rushing to 80 ASAP. However, what I'm doing at 80 is still up in the air. I would at first like to DPS, but as I think about it, I'm tempted towards holy lately. I have heard that there is a nice holy leveling spec out there.

Healing (on my priest) is absolutely a ton of fun, and if I ever decided to give up tanking I'd more than likely become a full time holy priest. I'd rather take a sledgehammer to my balls than ever become a holy paladin though. The thing that I've noticed the most is that a priest just has many more tools at their disposal for almost any kind of situation. PoH, CoH, PoM, Renew, BH, FH, GH, AD, MD, DP are all very useful spells, it just depends on the situation you're currently in.

And more than anything, the main thing I love about my priest is the ability to be reasonably mobile while healing.

Edit: Also, level Shadow only; while there may be some "fun" builds to level with on your priest, Shadow is by far supreme.

That mobile thing is why I haven't liked healing in the past. I healed on my prot pally as most traditional OTs did when not needed. Stack mp5 and +Healing. I also healed on my shammy, and I still hated the cast time. You got 1 instant per 2 or 3 min (I forget, it's been a while), and that was usually used on a gimmick part of a fight or a really hard part like a selfheal on the Mag AOE, Vexallus's enrage, etc.

Priest will at least be something new to learn. Is it hard? I'm a pretty decent player, but not sure I can be everywhere all the time on HoTs and AOE heals and stuff.
ARogers

Postby Vioarr » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:16 am

I wouldn't say that priest healing is difficult; in my opinion being a good healer is largely based on knowing where damage is coming from, and using the appropriate tools at your disposal.

I had never been a holy priest during TBC, but when I leveled him to 80 I decided to give it a shot. It wasn't difficult at all to pick up.
Vioarr
Maintankadonor

Postby trycare » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:19 am

IMO healing is the toughest job you can do in a raid. I have played both a tally pank and a holy priest and thus far healing is high on the stress meter. Try it out for a few weeks and see if it fits your play style. Good luck.
Better to be known in a small guild, rather than unknown in a large guild.
trycare
Maintankadonor

Postby Chunes » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:20 am

Is healing fun?

I dunno, it's about as subjective of a question as "do you like chocolate cake?"

Personally, I raid healed on my priest all through vanilla content even up to a few wings in naxx40 and I enjoyed it.

I have tanked now for more than a year straight and played some dps alts in my off time.

I'm once again leveling my priest and holy sh!t, healing is so much more fun than dps for me personally. This is in part due to the fact that i'm good at it and people recognize it. It's a lot easier to shine as a pro healer than a pro DPS from my experience (unless everyone's running meters in which case most people are usually paying more attention to the clown doing 600dps, than the pro doing 3k). As a healer, keeping your group up during an "oh sh!t" moment like pulling too many adds just makes people step back and say "damn, this guy's a pretty solid healer".

TLDR:

I'm a good healer, people recognize it, my ego loves this, therefore i enjoy healing.

YMMV.
Chunes

Postby Salgado » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:33 am

I heal on my shaman quite a bit. I do really enjoy it. I sometimes have problems with raid awareness, tho, cause during tough fights I'm constantly staring at my Healbot bars (Shadow Fissures, anyone? Ack!)

Being a good healer is very rewarding, but being a bad healer is endlessly frustrating. Unfortunately, the diffrence between a good healer and a bad one is often just thier level of experience. While learning to heal, make sure that you start out grouping with people who know the score and are willing to take quite a few wipes and some rough pulls.

You may find that you dislike healing just for the plain fact that you will not be 'in the action' most of the time. For me, I refused to heal at all during BC purely because of this. This was pretty hard for me to overcome, but once I got to be a decent healer I didn't really feel like that anymore.
Salgado - Protection Paladin
Totemjunkie - Elemental Shaman

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what other people say you cannot do...
Salgado

Postby MonkH » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:35 am

atleast with healing u gotta react to somthink dps is much more boring dunno how so many ppl do it :o

only time healing is boring is when tank overgears content but that can be solved by tank pulling more!
Daeden Prot Pala of EU-Frostmane.

Classes also played:
Druid, Warlock, Priest, Warrior, and now Paladin
MonkH

Postby Candiru » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:42 am

I find healing heroics as a paladin quite fun,

You have Beacon, SS, HS, FoL and HL.

You don't have the gear or raid buffs to spam HL, so you have to be clever with your healing.

Stick beacon on the MT, SS on people who are taking damage, flash on people who have SS procced so you get +50% crit on them and the MT. Use DF->HS->HL when the MT gets a bust and needs healing up fast.

However, after SS is changed to a single target, and HS->HL is being removed I think holy paladin healing will be much more dull and boring.

Holy Paladins NEED one more button, either an AoE heal/shield/hot or a single target hot/shield or a Prayer of Mending style heal. Something to help out when AoE damage is going around.

I'd say the best one would be some form of PoM style shield (a POM heal might be OP due to beacon, so I think shielding is the way to go)

Maybe something like... 30s CD, Light's Embrace:
Shields everyone affected by your aura for 1000+100% of your spellpower for 15s. Once 5 of these shields expire, the remaining ones are removed.

Its kinda Prayer of mending-like, numbers obviously to be tweaked etc. Or just a straight PoM copy, with the shield moving when absorbs damage rather than healing.
Last edited by Candiru on Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Candiru

Postby Arcand » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:50 am

Chunes wrote:I'm a good healer, people recognize it, my ego loves this, therefore i enjoy healing.

:)

I like healing on my priestess. She's got all kinds of tools. No matter what kind of calamity is happening, I always feel like there's a solution for it somewhere on my hotbar - and abilities like Prayer of Mending, Renew and Shield allow you to get ahead of the damage when you need to.

My healadin friend, bless her weird masochistic soul, loves paladin healing and feels overwhelmed by all the choices on her 70 priestess (and hers is shadow so she doesn't even have as many).

So there's the two ends of the spectrum. I can't f-ing stand paladin healing; I look at our two heals and I see [TOO WEAK] and [TOO SLOW].
Arcand

Postby trellian » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:51 am

Vioarr wrote:I'd rather take a sledgehammer to my balls than ever become a holy paladin though.

I LOL-ed :P
trellian

Postby Serelynn » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:00 am

I enjoy Restoration Druid healing as it is currently, I'm not so sure I'll feel the same with the upcoming changes to Lifebloom in 3.1. I played a Holy Priest for most of vanilla WoW raiding and enjoyed that even back when it was whack-a-mole with 40 bars covering your screen and Decursive button mashing. :P
Serelynn

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:18 am

I enjoy it (priest healing), if only for the change in pace from tanking. Tanking you're constantly pulling, marking, taunting, making sure everything is as it should be. Healing? I can stand at the back and make everyone else do the work for me while I refresh their green bars. Unless I'm healing on my paladin, then I'm panicking big time. Square object... round hole. Doesn't fit.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes