Remove Advertisements

Hanging up the shield... so, Ret or Holy?

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Hanging up the shield... so, Ret or Holy?

Postby Nymeros » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:42 pm

Prot was a blast in BC and tanking was my life in WoW (and in classic as a druid tank as well), but it's time to move on and do something else now. That, and it would be hard getting a tank spot in a raid these days anyways as I'm returning to Wrath late due to being busy with the USAF during launch.

Simple question to the Tankadins here. Of the other two specs, which one do you prefer? I enjoy both roles and will likely dualspec them once 3.1 hits, but I'll need to chose a main for raiding (and probably use the other for PvP or a breather).

Help an indecisive former tank out here, will ya'. :)
befriend (v.): To use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
Nymeros

Postby Dorvan » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:53 pm

It kind of apple an oranges, but I don't particularly care for Paladin healing mechanics compared to those of other classes (i.e. my priest), and I've been having a lot of fun smashing things as Ret.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Kaeos » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:58 pm

Well, I can see a few different ways to look at it.. it depends on why it is you don't want to tank.

If it's because there's no room for another Prot Pally.. then most likely you like being a central part of the raid. Sure good DPS is important... but if the Tank or Healers suck.. nothing but the raid is going to die.

If that's the case, I suggest Holy. The very fact you are considering Holy probably means you're leaning towards that.

If tanking burned you out, Holy will most likely stress you the same way.. got Ret and see how you like it.

I plan on Dual specing Prot/Holy, because DPS is a dime a dozen >.>
Kaeos

Postby Xfighter » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:06 pm

I'd say ret, because the the holy changes in 3.1 seem to be dumbing down holy yet again and will most likely make it boring once again (more so than it is already).

As ret you'll still be able to smash face, and won't notice too much of a change.
Xfighter

Postby moduspwnens » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:07 pm

I can't stand healing. I really feel like I'm just playing the UI, at least in PvE.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Nymeros » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:07 pm

It's the burn out. I love tanking as much as I've always loved it, but I don't want the constant huge repair bills, lack of PvP transference, high pressure to keep your gear in top of top shape (expensive), and fighting for a small amount of raid spots.
befriend (v.): To use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
Nymeros

Postby Zironic » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:11 pm

Currently it looks a bit bleak for both specs tbh.

Currently I find holy to be a very interesting spec to play with plenty of room to really feel that your skill is making a difference, however with 3.1 they're removing all that so meh.

Ret is already in the position they're pushing holy, that is what you need to do is very strictly defined and it's really hard to fuck it up, you just hit your abilities as they come off cooldown with the simple priority of most damaging first, the difference in output between the best retridin in the world and an utter mediocre one with the same gear is miniscule. On the upside it's always fun killing stuff fast regardless of how you do it.
Zironic

Postby Lieris » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:13 pm

Tanking has the cheapest maintenance there is. Cheap gems, cheap enchants and no major need for expensive potions. It has never been easier to keep your gear in top shape.

With the silence on ShOR and AS coming in 3.1 we won't be so weak against casters in PVP either.

You sound like you've made up your mind though.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Nymeros » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:15 pm

Lieris wrote:You sound like you've made up your mind though.

I'd rather raid than tank too.

We're short on constant healers/dps, we have too many tanks as is. :p
Nymeros

Postby Lieris » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:24 pm

Zironic wrote:Currently it looks a bit bleak for both specs tbh.

Currently I find holy to be a very interesting spec to play with plenty of room to really feel that your skill is making a difference, however with 3.1 they're removing all that so meh.

Ret is already in the position they're pushing holy, that is what you need to do is very strictly defined and it's really hard to fuck it up, you just hit your abilities as they come off cooldown with the simple priority of most damaging first, the difference in output between the best retridin in the world and an utter mediocre one with the same gear is miniscule. On the upside it's always fun killing stuff fast regardless of how you do it.

I agree ret is still pretty mindless and the design isn't great. Removing the armour ignore from Divine Storm was a mistake, Crusader Strike is a joke for a 41 pointer (and should really be baseline so ret has more than one strike ability...) and scaling on stats is so messed up that strength is completely overpowered to the detriment of everything else.

I firmly believe that protection is Blizzard's number one priority for the paladin class, that has been progressively clearer as time has gone. I feel like they are listening and have been very quick to address concerns with some pretty kick ass buffs and finally a single target taunt. Ret is very neglected in comparison.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Seraphia » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:37 pm

I would go ret.

Almost every Paladin Healer I know hates themselves and everything around them. It's just a frustrating style of play.
-Seraphia <Slap in the Face> : Doomhammer
Seraphia

Postby Zironic » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:37 pm

I firmly believe that protection is Blizzard's number one priority for the paladin class, that has been progressively clearer as time has gone. I feel like they are listening and have been very quick to address concerns with some pretty kick ass buffs and finally a single target taunt. Ret is very neglected in comparison.

I think that's because they have a lot more leeway to design the protection tree, no matter what they do it's extremely unlikely that prot paladins will start raping the 2v2 ladder.
Zironic

Postby Lieris » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:38 pm

Zironic wrote:

I think that's because they have a lot more leeway to design the protection tree, no matter what they do it's extremely unlikely that prot paladins will start raping the 2v2 ladder.

Haha, very true :)
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Nymeros » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:45 pm

Seraphia wrote:Almost every Paladin Healer I know hates themselves and everything around them. It's just a frustrating style of play.

So unretire my lvl60 Druid bank alt if I want a healer... or level a Shaman or Priest?
Nymeros

Postby Zironic » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:47 pm

Nymeros wrote:So unretire my lvl60 Druid bank alt if I want a healer... or level a Shaman or Priest?

I'd go with priest since they're the only healer who doesn't keep getting showed into a niche.

However most druids seems to be happy with what they do and I don't see the shamans complaining overly much either.
Zironic

Next

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes