[Holy-PvE] So I tried to heal...

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Postby fafhrd » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:29 am

Noob question:

I only ever healed while playing someoelse's resto shaman in sunwell, and as such had the luxury of the better healer's in the raid making up for my shortcomings. What I noticed was that no matter how hard I was trying, the other healers almost always managed to do more effective healing than I ever did (well the other shaman healers anwyay).

All I could come up with at the end was that they were paying better attention to the "this target already has an incoming heal from someone" indicator on grid, and avoiding casting heals on those people unless they were really low.

Is that true? For raid healing on trash or fights with a lot of raid damage like Twins/Kalecgos, did healers use the incoming heals thing to pick heal targets much? Or was I just bad in some other way?
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Zironic » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:35 am

well, if someone is missing 4k hp and grid tells you they have an incoming heal for 4k hp then it's pretty silly starting one yourself :P

It's a very valuable tool.

The other part of effective healing is properly stopping cast if you notice that the target got healed before your heal lands.

Anyhow shamans usually cheat by spamming chain heal who instantly picks targets for them.
Zironic

Postby Sanctity » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:42 am

i'm a healer and my UI is linked in my sig, main thing is mouseover macros and a Bacon on focus macro. LibHealComm-3.0 (somthign like that anyway) is good, it shows how much healing (from all sources) is being cast at anyone in real time.
I think the trick's that you made someone proud.
Sanctity

Postby Tekkel » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:54 am

Aye i've specced holy a few times to help an alt run in nax 10. It helps having been a healer for 2 years before speccing tank but the new treats make it alot better to heal.

Personally i've done it without reglyphing but I had an aoe healer that run as well.
Grid and Clique are your friends to make healing targets on the fly a bit easier.
Tekkel

Postby lusisia » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:24 am

Lightstrike wrote:
amh wrote:Did you get Glyph of Holy Light? It´s so good I even have it in my tank-glyphs >.<

Healing is certainly something different. I think it´s a lot of fun, but I never tried it as holy before I already had a stupidly overpowered nax25-man set.

VH does include quite a bit of splash damage. The trick to healing this particular instance is just to spam your heart out. With the stats you mentioned, you should have the resources to use HL 100% of the time and not go oom. Spam spam, mobs die, divine plea + drink. And don´t be afraid to pop wings! They´re there for a reason.

Oh and yeah, got healbot or grid + clique? Use it, love it.

Nah, I didn't have time to swap glyphs before they were moaning at me for takign so long!

I didn't have any healing addons installed at the time, so I said brb while I gte clique.. by the time i got it setup 2 of the dps had got tired and gone to bed :( lol

Clique does look like it will help to no end to be honest.. I've got a 6 button mouse so I can bind all the major stuff to buttons and just spam away.. I doubt I'll be healing the raid so I guess beacon of light + glyph will allow me to spam FoL or Holy Light to my hearts content.. I've got 20k mana and probably nearer 40% crit when raidbuffed so I'm hoping these few things will be enough of improvement :P

A little late in the dicussion but if you didn't reglyph you were at a SERIOUS disadvantage.

I'm tempted to write a little "so you wanna be holy for a few weeks" kind of thread.
"then somehow people manage not to see the forty fucking foot tall of fucking fiery flames of fucking doom ... and we wipe." - Isolfr
"It turns out that a large number of people are whiny motherfuckers ..." - PsiVen
lusisia
Maintankadonor

Postby Vindicated » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:46 am

I did a little bit of healing pre-80, but comparing it to BC and Sunwell, well needless to say in Sunwell you had to be able to tell time and have a heal going off right when the tank gets hit.
Vindicated

Postby Ebbitt » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:47 am

some rules to who is starting to heal as pally:

- Overheal is not bad if you don't pull aggro (lol?) and you don't go oom.
- Holy Shock is your friend, use it.
- Holy Light glyph is a MUST
- Flash of Light glyph is a good add
- Seal of Light/Wisdom are great adds
- Surge of Light is a real powerfull procc.
- Have Healbot (bleh, i hate it) or Grid (s2)
- Be sure to keep Beacon of light of mobs do AoE, keep judge of light on boss and Sacred Shield up everytime on tank, since when it procs your FoL crit chance increase by 50% and it's a great way to save mana, mitigate dmg AND heal more.
Ebbitt

Postby Crilas » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:14 pm

Ebbitt wrote:some rules to who is starting to heal as pally:

- Overheal is not bad if you don't pull aggro (lol?) and you don't go oom.
- Holy Shock is your friend, use it.
- Holy Light glyph is a MUST
- Flash of Light glyph is a good add
- Seal of Light/Wisdom are great adds
- Surge of Light is a real powerfull procc.
- Have Healbot (bleh, i hate it) or Grid (s2)
- Be sure to keep Beacon of light of mobs do AoE, keep judge of light on boss and Sacred Shield up everytime on tank, since when it procs your FoL crit chance increase by 50% and it's a great way to save mana, mitigate dmg AND heal more.

I haven't healed on my pally since pre BC so I can't vouch for most of these statements, but I can tell you that overhealing generates zero threat.
Crilas

Postby Maat » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:53 pm

S'more corrections, I guess.

Paladin healing threat is half that of any other healer in terms of threat per hp healed. As long as you don't heal with fury up, any tank that can aoe worth a damn can pull aggro from a paladin with a dinky aoe.

You should only judge Light if you are the only mp user in the party or if the fight is based on nonstop aoe damage. Holy JoL is the weakest of all 3 specs and JoW is very powerful for mp-based dps jobs.

Beacon is only good for raids and maybe a couple heroic bosses. Otherwise don't waste the mp keeping it up.

If you intend to raid holy, you'll need to learn how to setup your raid frame to display important debuffs that require immediate dispel/triage. Stuff that normally doesn't show up like Frost Blast and Jagged Knife. Doesn't hurt to display Beacon too.

If you raid Beacon-spec with any other paladin that is also Beacon-spec, you need a class timer mod of some kind to keep track of your Beacon duration, as they are impossible to differentiate on your target short of counting down in your head. Something like Classtimer, Dotimer, or even a DBM cooldown bar works.

blahblah. Pallies got a few more buttons to keep track of in 3.0, but still same old spam.
Maat

Postby Aleph » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:55 pm

I haven't healed since TBC was released and recently went back to healing off-night 10 man raids for a change of pace. It was a steep learning curve that I'm still climbing; healing is nothing like it was back in BWL/AQ40. It's much more involved and, dare I say, even fun now. Not that I would consider switching back to Holy for even a second. :P

Just reinforcing and adding to the comments already here:
1) Holy shock is definitely your best friend when you need to heal two people at once or when a FoL is not enough but you don't have time for a HL.

2) When off-healing I put SS on whoever seems to be taking the most frequent damage and Beacon on the MT. The crit flashes keep them topped off while also providing a nice buffer for the MT healer.
Aleph

Postby Kaedan » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:32 pm

I'm tempted to write a little "so you wanna be holy for a few weeks" kind of thread.

If you do, I will read it.

I did a little bit of off-healing in my last naxx run (it was in prot spec, which was kind of fun) and although there wasn't much expectation from me, I felt very lost.
Kaedan

Postby lusisia » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:24 pm

Kaedan wrote:

If you do, I will read it.

I did a little bit of off-healing in my last naxx run (it was in prot spec, which was kind of fun) and although there wasn't much expectation from me, I felt very lost.

Yeah it's totally different when properly spec'd as holy.

Here's the key points (subject to 3.1 change):
- Glyph of Holy Light is one of the best glyphs in the world ;)
- Glyph Seal of Wisdom is better than Glyph Seal of Light and also awesome. Keep seal of wisdom up. Judge light unless you have a ret pally along. If so, judge wisdom.
- Keep bacon up on appropriate targets based on the fight.
e.g. you over in the corner with rivendare and the tank? Put bacon on yourself and just heal the tank. I've been known to put Bacon on a particularly self-damaging ret pally so that he gets splash from GoHL and bacon heals to pretty much stay full.
- Judge to keep up your haste buff. This is key as you'll see below.
- Keep Light's Grace up at all times. This is pretty much a given the way we heal now.
- Use Holy Shock to snipe a few heals on the raid or yourself.
- If you need that big, oh my fucking god we're all doomed heal:
Divine Favor+Holy Shock->Infusion of Light+Light's Grace+JotP =1 second or less Holy Light that will most likely crit. You did keep JotP and LG up didn't you? Combine that with Egg of Mortal Essence being proc'd and I got down to a .6 second Holy Light. No other healer has anything that powerful.

Another tip is lrn2mouseover macro. Many runs I've healed, I've cleansed more than the shammie totem.

I've got a nice set of macros I use just for Holy. All of em mouseover for healing and ToT for judgements so I can keep my haste buff up pretty much 100% of the time.
"then somehow people manage not to see the forty fucking foot tall of fucking fiery flames of fucking doom ... and we wipe." - Isolfr
"It turns out that a large number of people are whiny motherfuckers ..." - PsiVen
lusisia
Maintankadonor

Postby Aleph » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:28 pm

lusisia wrote:
Kaedan wrote:I did a little bit of off-healing in my last naxx run (it was in prot spec, which was kind of fun) and although there wasn't much expectation from me, I felt very lost.

Yeah it's totally different when properly spec'd as holy.

Healing as prot spec hasn't changed since TBC because you don't get any of the new talented mechanics. It's still "throw on resto shaman mail and spam FoL". What else can you do? The only new thing is SS which provides a nice healing boost when it procs, but you just use it everytime it falls off.
Aleph

Postby Zironic » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:30 pm

Aleph wrote:
Healing as prot spec hasn't changed since TBC because you don't get any of the new talented mechanics. It's still "throw on resto shaman mail and spam FoL". What else can you do? The only new thing is SS which provides a nice healing boost when it procs, but you just use it everytime it falls off.

Since I usually have the Holy Light glyph in prot spec(Who bothers glyphing prot?) I just spam holy light rather then FoL, FoL is for when I'm oom : P
Zironic

Postby Mishakal » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:37 pm

I have a decent set for all 3 specs, I spec holy at least once a week to heal in PVP and ret also to DPS in raids...

I find that it usually takes a little time to warn into each, and when i spec back to prot I always try to get some tanking under my belt before raiding etc.

I was a healer in TBC and paladin healers have alot more going on in WoTLK.

I find tanking the easiest (do it the most and have the best gear), ret kinda boring, holy the hardest with the most things to worry about imo.

You should get some more practice in, however you will find in a 10/25 man team if the healing crew is well balanced its much more fun than 5 man runs.

I use to love healing Kara/ZA when the healing team was Me, Shaman and Priest it was such a good balance!
Mishakal

PreviousNext

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes