[Ret-PvE] Gear

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Postby Shoju » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:25 pm

Finished the DMC:G deck for 4250.

Our rogue is Felonius of Terenas <Lurkers> and the Shaman is Glaur.

Felonius is a madman at dps. He is a very skilled player, and a great guy. I don't know how he is able to consistently smash melee dps, so hard, but he does.

Glaur, is also a great player. He doesn't get to dps as much as I wish he could (we are short healers, and he's a great healer too).
Shoju

Postby Elsie » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:32 pm

Dorvan wrote:
Sairah wrote:Keep this thread going! I'm assembling a ret set and very interested in this discussion :). If someone would volunteer an opinion, should I save badges for T7 chest or would I be better off getting one of the two heroic blues listed earlier (Novos or the one from Old Kingdom)?

If it pushes you up to a 4 piece bonus, definitely get the chest. Until then, the Novos one is better. Generally speaking, aim to wear T7 chest/shoulders/gloves/legs, with a Spiked Titansteel Helm on your head (ideally an Obsidian Greathelm, but those are less than trivial to get ahold of).

4pc + malygos 25 gloves is a pretty nice set up, too.

I'm hoping redcap updates his stuff for the haste and arp changes soon. I don't think it will make those stats ideal given exorcism's new importance but maybe less useless.
Elsie

Postby laterna » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:01 pm

Would anyone care to TC what would be better for Major Glyphs?

+20% Exorcism Damage vs -50% Hammer of Wrath CD?

I was leaning on setting up a model of 15 dps'ers at 3k-5k dps, against all the bosses in Ulduar, calculating the time that the boss is from 20% - 0% hp, and then running models of full blown out DPS and seeing how much DPS does HoW Glyph offer. (Considering Cooldown Clashes etc).

Then a secondary test of a 100%-0% test of a full buffed out paladin calculating the total exorcism damage done (with the 20% glyph increase in order already because the 20% increase will cause the boss to die faster :) ).

Now I know this is extremely hard to test and come up with conclusive results but this is really what is needed. I'm saying for every boss in Ulduar because if a boss is airborne for 50% of his hp and lands at 50% hp then the results might be skewed towards the Hammer Glyph.
laterna

Postby Janduin » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:43 am

To put in more context, essentially every dps class in full 25-man gear can and should be doing over 4k on Patchwerk-25 (and over 5k regularly if your are a geared-out fury warrior or affliction lock), assuming a decent buff level. If you are missing required buffs this will of course be lower. Our two ret pallies are consistently around 5k.

http://wowwebstats.com/jptwoo1chuhye?s=181580-211976

Fedaykin98 wrote:Our awesome warlock is Dilgus of Blackhand. He has
been one of the top DPSers for all of Wrath, probably BC as well.

Btw the top spots on our meters are always well over 3k DPS, usually over 3.5k. I've hit 4000 on a couple occasions, including one Patchwerk.

Not trying to brag, just putting our warlock into context. :)
Janduin

Postby Dorvan » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:01 am

Elsie wrote:
Dorvan wrote:If it pushes you up to a 4 piece bonus, definitely get the chest. Until then, the Novos one is better. Generally speaking, aim to wear T7 chest/shoulders/gloves/legs, with a Spiked Titansteel Helm on your head (ideally an Obsidian Greathelm, but those are less than trivial to get ahold of).

4pc + malygos 25 gloves is a pretty nice set up, too.

Yeah definitely, it's just that most of the people who've been asking questions where doing primarily 10 man stuff with maybe a little 25 man, so I figured the gloves probably weren't an option. That and I'm biased against wearing non-plate pieces (and given I'm not hardcore raiding, it's a quirk a can afford ;) ).
Last edited by Dorvan on Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Elsie » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:02 am

Yeah definitely, it's just that most of the people who've been asking questions where doing primarily 10 man stuff with maybe a little 25 man, so I figured the gloves probably weren't an option. That and I'm biased against wearing non-plate pieces (and given I'm not hardcore raiding, it's a quirk a can afford

Well, if we're talking about 4pc and all... Greathelm is probably harder to get. Though from my understand rogues and feral druids might want the gloves and DKs dont' want the helm.

10-mans, I can't even get a pug for Malygos 10 with his tasty BiS ring. Arg.
Elsie

Postby Dorvan » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:35 pm

Elsie wrote:Well, if we're talking about 4pc and all... Greathelm is probably harder to get. Though from my understand rogues and feral druids might want the gloves and DKs dont' want the helm.

I agree, but that's why the Obsidian was only an afterthought with Spiked Titansteel being my main suggestion :)

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Elsie » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:30 pm

Laterna wrote:Would anyone care to TC what would be better for Major Glyphs?

+20% Exorcism Damage vs -50% Hammer of Wrath CD?

I was leaning on setting up a model of 15 dps'ers at 3k-5k dps, against all the bosses in Ulduar, calculating the time that the boss is from 20% - 0% hp, and then running models of full blown out DPS and seeing how much DPS does HoW Glyph offer. (Considering Cooldown Clashes etc).

Then a secondary test of a 100%-0% test of a full buffed out paladin calculating the total exorcism damage done (with the 20% glyph increase in order already because the 20% increase will cause the boss to die faster :) ).

Now I know this is extremely hard to test and come up with conclusive results but this is really what is needed. I'm saying for every boss in Ulduar because if a boss is airborne for 50% of his hp and lands at 50% hp then the results might be skewed towards the Hammer Glyph.

+20% exorcism damage, +10% judgment damage, and +2s on consecrate. It's not even a hard judgment call really.
Elsie

Postby majiben » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:42 am

I thought the AW glyph was being argued as a personal choice replacement to the exorcism one?

Oh and at very low levels of gear the crusader strike one might still be some use.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Questioner » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:58 am

Majiben wrote:I thought the AW glyph was being argued as a personal choice replacement to the exorcism one?

Oh and at very low levels of gear the crusader strike one might still be some use.

Napkin math and forum reading says, with current gear and the new talents, The AW glyph is ~30 dps. Exorcism one will be something on the order of 60 dps. Not to mention you have a small window where you have to force your AW to be up.

I'll really miss my HoW glyph :/
<3 Tankadin at Heart.

Not necessarily accurate: Armory
Questioner

Postby Baelor » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:08 am

Questioner wrote:
Majiben wrote:I thought the AW glyph was being argued as a personal choice replacement to the exorcism one?

Napkin math and forum reading says, with current gear and the new talents, The AW glyph is ~30 dps. Exorcism one will be something on the order of 60 dps. Not to mention you have a small window where you have to force your AW to be up.

I'll really miss my HoW glyph :/

Bah, I preferred the CS glyph to the HoW glyph anyway. As your raid gears up, fights get shorter, and you have even less of a window to use HoW, making the HoW glyph less valuable the shorter the fight is. And the AW glyph forces your hand with cooldowns.

Bring on the Exorcism changes, I says.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Questioner » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:20 am

Baelor wrote:Bah, I preferred the CS glyph to the HoW glyph anyway. As your raid gears up, fights get shorter, and you have even less of a window to use HoW, making the HoW glyph less valuable the shorter the fight is. And the AW glyph forces your hand with cooldowns.

Bring on the Exorcism changes, I says.

I could argue why I prefer the HoW glyph, but really, its just a style thing. THIS IS HOW GLYPHS SHOULD HAVE BEEN, A CHOICE. A straight dps increase glyph is not a choice.
<3 Tankadin at Heart.

Questioner

Postby Fedaykin98 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:11 am

Janduin wrote:To put in more context, essentially every dps class in full 25-man gear can and should be doing over 4k on Patchwerk-25 (and over 5k regularly if your are a geared-out fury warrior or affliction lock), assuming a decent buff level. If you are missing required buffs this will of course be lower. Our two ret pallies are consistently around 5k.

Ask them what attack priority they are using, I'd be curious to know. My gear is pretty good, although I lack the 4pc set bonus, and I've not gotten close to 5k.
Fedaykin98

Postby Questioner » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:28 am

Fed, can you link your armory? Your signature doesn't work.

This it? http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=Azorius

If you play ret full time, you need to get a DMC: Greatness. The passive part alone would be an increase of 80 AP.
<3 Tankadin at Heart.

Questioner

Postby majiben » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:56 am

Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

PreviousNext

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes