Remove Advertisements

[Ret-PvE] Gear

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Ret-PvE] Gear

Postby Cake » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:18 pm

Post title edited in accordance with sticky. -Baelor

Is there a site similar to Maintankadin for retribution paladins?

I'm looking to start dpsing on the side and I have no idea where I should go to find gear lists or guides like I used on here when I first hit 80.
Cake

Postby Guldylohx » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:02 pm

This is a good site: Retpaladin.com

Not as extensive as this one, but still good nonetheless.
Guldylohx

Postby amh » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:42 am

I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby honorshammer » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:08 am

Big Hit Box for all melee: www.bighitbox.com
honorshammer

Postby Fedaykin98 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:28 am

That's it! The rebels are there!

/Darth Vader

Seriously, almost everything I needed to know about playing Ret, I learned from that blog.
Fedaykin98

Re: Retribution Gear

Postby guillex » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:35 am

Cake wrote:Is there a site similar to Maintankadin for retribution paladins?

I'm looking to start dpsing on the side and I have no idea where I should go to find gear lists or guides like I used on here when I first hit 80.

Let me connect to my PC at home ... I've recently switched to Ret and have been looking for information also...

I found, after digging through the retpaladin forums, a pretty decent guide for Ret.

edit: http://retlol.mrgummage.com
Last edited by guillex on Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Ana » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:41 am

I'm not a big fan of the retpaladin.com site. THey have a gear guide, but its only best in slot stuff, doesn't help you as you are leveling or as a decent gear guide to prepare you for raids et al.
Anathematic / Megalomania / Tohuvabohu / Surrealistic
Ana

Postby Fedaykin98 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:04 pm

For gear - I started with MaxDPS.com. A lot of people don't like its math, but it does list pretty much all the gear out there. I just made a list of the best quest rewards and 5-man drops. And Naxx10 (and 25) is so farmable these days that it's probably a better use of time to run those than it is to run the 5-mans over and over except for a few key pieces.

I would prioritize the Heroic epics (like the legs from H.UK, the belt which I believe is from H.Nexus) and try to get into raids as quickly as possible. So much stuff is going to offspecs etc. these days anyway.
Fedaykin98

Postby Fedaykin98 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:07 pm

Here's a guide from the site Guillex just listed:

http://retlol.mrgummage.com/index2.php?section=2#2_6_1

Also, once I started getting pretty well geared and was looking for the absolute best stuff, I started using Rawr.
Fedaykin98

Postby honorshammer » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:17 pm

On Wednesday I'm posting a 'failsafe' Retribution Gear Guide on my blog and crossposting to Big Hit Box.
honorshammer

Postby Elsie » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:04 pm

I'd write a ret guide but there's no real forum for it here. All the stuff I've written is now ancient in terms of forum posts. I wrote a huge Ret PvP thing before (that honestly could've been fixed up a little better) that's now buried somewhere in the asylum I think.

The basics of how to do ret, anyway, are:
1. STR > hit > expertise / crit > haste > ArP
2. The above is only for small differentiating values, e.g. 1 str > 1 expertise.
2a. Obviously larger values such as 100 haste > 5 STR
3. 4pc is desired at the 25-man level
4. Weapon damage range (aka "Top End") matters more than weapon DPS (reflective of Item Level).
5. DPS is still important.
6. There is no such thing as a "Hunter Weapon" if you can equip it.
7. On-Use trinkets are generally not as desirable as proc trinkets.
7a. Extremely good on-use are worthwhile, especially 2min CD trinkets.
8. For proc/on-use, determine their strength by determining their effective static bonus.
9. Some "Best" items are situational to the movement / gimmicks of a boss.
10. Consult redcap's spreadsheet on ElitistJerks before a raid. Know your upgrades.
Elsie

Postby guillex » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:08 pm

Elsie wrote:I'd write a ret guide but there's no real forum for it here. All the stuff I've written is now ancient in terms of forum posts. I wrote a huge Ret PvP thing before (that honestly could've been fixed up a little better) that's now buried somewhere in the asylum I think.

The basics of how to do ret, anyway, are:
1. STR > hit > expertise / crit > haste > ArP
2. The above is only for small differentiating values, e.g. 1 str > 1 expertise.
2a. Obviously larger values such as 100 haste > 5 STR
3. 4pc is desired at the 25-man level
4. Weapon damage range (aka "Top End") matters more than weapon DPS (reflective of Item Level).
5. DPS is still important.
6. There is no such thing as a "Hunter Weapon" if you can equip it.
7. On-Use trinkets are generally not as desirable as proc trinkets.
7a. Extremely good on-use are worthwhile, especially 2min CD trinkets.
8. For proc/on-use, determine their strength by determining their effective static bonus.

I thought that #4 only mattered when comparing two same iLvl/DPS weapons ... Other than that, go with the highest DPS weapon available.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Elsie » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:13 pm

Fedaykin98 wrote:Here's a guide from the site Guillex just listed:

http://retlol.mrgummage.com/index2.php?section=2#2_6_1

Also, once I started getting pretty well geared and was looking for the absolute best stuff, I started using Rawr.

In general, the rule (which I should have added to my previous post) is item ranking systems are inherently flawed and can only be used as a guideline for which items are similarly good. For instance, that site lists the Red Dragon Blood trinket as third best pre-raid when most consider it second. Most consider the Sword of Justice and Heroic HoL axe better than the crafted one (granted, the +hit is better till you're at 8.2%). However, the ranking are worthwhile in showing you what you can pursue "in the meantime" before you get the optimal pre-raid outfit.

I thought that #4 only mattered when comparing two same iLvl/DPS weapons ... Other than that, go with the highest DPS weapon available.

No, damage range is extremely important. This has always been true for all melee. Point 5, however, demonstrates that DPS (reflective of item level) still matters. This means that while damage range is important, DPS can overrule it once the item levels become wider.
Last edited by Elsie on Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elsie

Postby djlar » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:15 pm

Guldylohx wrote:This is a good site: Retpaladin.com

Not as extensive as this one, but still good nonetheless.

And I found out that is NSFW, as "public gaming forum"

Gosh I love maintankadin..
djlar

Postby Dorvan » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:17 pm

Yeah, #4 is false. The only case in current content where speed manages to make up for weapon DPS is the Sword of Justice, which is slow enough to put it on par with the Colossal Skull-Clad Cleaver (but still behind all the other ilevel 200 epic weapons). All ilevel 200 epics are inferior to all ilevel 213s, and the one ilevel 226 is best in slot, despite being very much on the fast side (3.4). Finally, it's not top end, but "average" that matters, and the two while correlated are not always the same.

As a general rule of thumb, DPS is far more important than speed.

I also find #7 pretty questionable. The current best-in-slot trinkets happen not to have on use effects, but there's nothing inherent in on use effects that makes them inferior, that's just how the itemization turned out for this tier.
Last edited by Dorvan on Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes